Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #991 of 2,678
So far I am loving mine. The detail retrieval is stellar. I love how balanced everything sounds I do wish vocals were a little more upfront though. Other than that they sound simply amazing and that is just my preference. If anyone ever discovers a portable cable please let me know! I cant drop 250 on a cable haha.

If you're good with your hands you could always grab one of shures cheap iems cables and whittle the mmcx connectors down to fit the 1540.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #992 of 2,678
Yeah I wonder if that would work. Can anyone give me a description of how the vocal presentation comes off to you? When comparing the the B&W P7 the vocals almost sound a bit distant. Just not as upfront. Is this how most neutral headphones place the vocals? I cannot decide if I should keep these or not. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #993 of 2,678
The 1540 is more U shaped so vocals will not be as prominen. I also found the P7 U shaped but more fun than the 1540.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #994 of 2,678

Some people have expressed the discomfort of the thin band padding on the head for the 1540.  I solved this by buying a generic cloth headphone pad on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L61YYXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

It is only about 10 bucks and reduces the fatigue greatly.  It also some how manages to give me a better seal (not sure how.why). But I get a better overall fit.  It is not super bulky so it wont cause the headphone to become too small for those who have bigger heads.  Plus I actually think it looks pretty good on these headphones!

On a side note using these through the Fiio X1+ Fiio e17 (amp function only) as shown in the above image sounds great. Impressive detail retrieval and the sub bass gains more depth, but is very well controlled.  It is hard to explain.  It is like a weighty sound that has lots of space? I realize how contradictory that sounds!

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #996 of 2,678
Nicholars, I saw in the 400i thread that you are asking someone to compare it to the 1540. Well, I have a 400i coming in on Monday! :D

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #997 of 2,678
Nicholars, I saw in the 400i thread that you are asking someone to compare it to the 1540. Well, I have a 400i coming in on Monday!
biggrin.gif

Will be interesting to hear! Would like to know if the HE400i are harsher in the treble (sibilance) and also if they can produce enough bass (with EQ) compared the the 1540 (with EQ)

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #998 of 2,678
Picking them up tomorrow (unless I find them used for a decent price today), after leaving the "heavy" X2s behind. Also had a brief affair with the MDR-1A but they were disappointing.

All I'm looking for is comfort and sound quality that won't make me miss the X2. We'll see!

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #999 of 2,678
  Picking them up tomorrow (unless I find them used for a decent price today), after leaving the "heavy" X2s behind. Also had a brief affair with the MDR-1A but they were disappointing.

All I'm looking for is comfort and sound quality that won't make me miss the X2. We'll see!

Very much doubt you will be disappointed :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,000 of 2,678
Hello all! I'm looking into buying a pair of headphones from the $300-$500 range, and I'm a little undecided right now between the Sony MDR-7520s and the Shure SRH1540s. Can anyone who has heard both do a quick comparison? (Even better, if anyone can also do a three-way comparison between the two already-mentioned and the B&O H6s.)

My main concerns are: instrument separation, north-of-neutral bass (fast attack / punchiness), and overall clarity (which I'm sure already comes with most headphones in this price range).

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,001 of 2,678
Yo, nicholars, you should have nothing to worry about. The SRH1540 is still king. I'll write some detailed comparisons in the coming weeks...

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,003 of 2,678
No, a completely different animal. The 400i is mid-centric/detailed and more open while the 1540 is fun/bassy and in your face. Great compliments to each other.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,004 of 2,678
Hello all! I'm looking into buying a pair of headphones from the $300-$500 range, and I'm a little undecided right now between the Sony MDR-7520s and the Shure SRH1540s. Can anyone who has heard both do a quick comparison? (Even better, if anyone can also do a three-way comparison between the two already-mentioned and the B&O H6s.)

My main concerns are: instrument separation, north-of-neutral bass (fast attack / punchiness), and overall clarity (which I'm sure already comes with most headphones in this price range).

The 7520s have a punchier bass with better extension. Instrument separation and clarity is great however being a studio monitor they excel at showing flaws in music so can be unforgiving of poorly recorded music and can sound quite harsh at times. I don't really consider the 1540 to be a true studio monitor, it's top end is rolled off so it has a smoother, more open and spacious sound to it which allows you to enjoy the music more I think.
If you want to be able to pick apart your music the 7520 is what ya want, if you want to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy music then the 1540 is it.

In regards to comfort the 1540 has bigger/deeper earcups so if you have big ears would probably be better however some people find discomfort with the split headband padding. For me the headband size was a tad small for my big head. The 7520s earcups are bit shallow so big ears will press against the inside mesh but it's headband is better for big heads.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,005 of 2,678
I was sold on the Fostex TH-600's to replace my Denon AH-D2000's I've had for quite some time, but after doing some more research (always a terrible idea, I know) I came across the Shure SRH1540, and now am undecided. I need to get a pair of sealed headphones, as I listen at work all day and do not want to disturb my neighbors. 100% isolation isn't needed, as I'd like to hear people call for my attention, but open headphones are just not an option.

My budget is up to, say, $750. I already have a decent amp/dac setup with the Schiit Modi/Magni, but those will likely be replaced in the coming months if the headphones warrant that. Probably to something like the Lyr 2.

I'd say my preferred sound signature is "smooth" and "dynamic." One reason I enjoy the AH-D2000's is that they are nearly electrostatic in sound, much like a pair of Stax I heard on the same day I was auditioning headphones. I have heard that the Shure's are super smooth without much bright treble.

I also value comfort, as I listen all day at work. Something lightweight and plush like the Shure's seem to be is appealing. I know this is a Shure dedicated thread but I'm curious on users thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back