Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 12, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #976 of 2,679
  That is the exact thought that came into my mind! You nailed it on the head. I absolutely love the sound of these just wish they had a tad bit more bass. Can anyone link me to a good priced replaceable cord for these for portable use? Something really short not long at all. I know what kind of connectors they use but could someone link me to a specific cord so that I know I wont buy the wrong ones?? Thanks in advance!

In your other thread I posted an EQ that is good for electronic music, they do have quite a lot of bass if you EQ it. I only use that much bass for electronic music.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #978 of 2,679
One thing I have wanted to try is the 1840 pads.  They are velour so they might isolate better as they are not perforated.  I have heard they reduce the bass and bring out the treble making them a but brighter.  The 1840 is the exact same size so they should easily fit.  I already tried some brainwavz pads that I had lying around, but they are too small.  I think Shure should make a higher end pleather pad for "maximum Isolation".  Then they could totally market the three "styles" they have as: comfort, analytic, or isolation.

In response to the cable I would say your best bet is getting a custom from BTG audio.  I know he has worked on the 1840 in the past which has the same type of connector.  I have not personally worked with him, but I know he is known for working with the individual to make exactly what you want.  A custom cable varies from 60-200+ I think. 

Thirdly I know people have been trying to find an easy fix for the pressure points on the headband.  I have a universal headphone pad coming and I will report how it works!

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #979 of 2,679

1540 is "neutral" if you are using this : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve-research-update

Which in my opinion is much better than a flat line "neutral" which sounds thin and boring and less realistic than the curve used there.

sorry, but in my opinion the frequency response doesn't look much like the 1540's response graph.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #980 of 2,679
Just got my pair in the mail yesterday. So far I've got about 8 hours on them paired w/ a Fiio e09k/e17 combo. EQ'd the bass +6dB and treble +2dB and they sound amaaaaazing with the music I've been listening to. These absolutely blow my ultrasone pro900s out of the water from an overall standpoint (bass is the only thing the pro900 has over the 1540 imo).

Also, if anyone cares, a few of the artists I've been listening to:

- Lupe Fiasco: Tetsuo & Youth
- Little Dragon
- Daft Punk: RAM
- The Weeknd: Trilogy
- Pharrell: G I R L
- Outkast

Gonna see how they perform w/ my classic rock/funk playlist next.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #981 of 2,679

sorry, but in my opinion the frequency response doesn't look much like the 1540's response graph.

If you look at the SRH1540 review you can see it almost follows the Harman target response curve, except it is slightly "V" shaped" That graph is the harman response curve, the HP50 and 1540 which both are close to the target response. The other graph is different because it is "compensated and averaged".

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #983 of 2,679
  Does anyone know if the cord for the se215 would work for these? I cant afford to spend 60 bucks on a cord way too much for me. 

I dont think it will, while they both use the same mmcx connector the connections on the 1540 earcups look more recessed so you would probably have to mod the 215 connectors to get them to fit.
I dont know where you are located but the shure america website has the cable for $35

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #985 of 2,679
pro tip - If you are not getting enough bass from these make sure they are sealed under your ears... That's where they don't fit properly unless you fiddle with them to get a seal = good bass

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #986 of 2,679
^I can personally vouch for this. It is even more important with the alpha pads. If I don't push the bottom of the cups in towards my face I don't get a good seal.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #987 of 2,679
Same here, until I changed pads, I was scratching my head when I read about how good the bass iS. Then I understood.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #988 of 2,679
Does this wrap around anyone's neck well?

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #990 of 2,679
So far I am loving mine. The detail retrieval is stellar. I love how balanced everything sounds I do wish vocals were a little more upfront though. Other than that they sound simply amazing and that is just my preference. If anyone ever discovers a portable cable please let me know! I cant drop 250 on a cable haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back