Shure SRH1540 Review
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #706 of 2,678
With a proper amp, the 650 beats the 1540 in every way.

Depends what you are looking for. As far as bass quantity, running both through a magni modi stack, the 1540 has significantly more bass! Whether it is better or worse in quality is up to the individual. I would say the 1540 is far more suited for a basshead.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #707 of 2,678
With a proper amp, the 650 beats the 1540 in every way.

IMO the 650 is more neutral but I enjoy the 1540 more. Also the 1540 is much more comfortable and has better bass than the 650.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #708 of 2,678
Recently picked up a pair of these, I currently am in love, excellent review.  It describes them very well.  I have decided their sound signature is much like a Nike swoosh.  Bumped base with a slight treble sparkle.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #709 of 2,678
Question.
I asked this already a little differently (maybe a little tl;dr style tho) in a different thread and do not seem to get the answer I am looking for.

I am about to jump ship with this headphone. I will be using it 70% stationary with a portable amp, 15% on trips with a portable amp and 15% on the move without a portable amp.

With 46Ohm impedance it does not exactly seem to be a perfect mate for use solely driven by an iPhone. Some comments seem to tell the same.

How bad does the audio quality drop when driven by an iPhone compared to use with a (decent tho not summit-fi level) amp? Does it degrade to the level where a lower class Headphone explictly made for use by a portable player like the iPhone sounds better? Say, it gets definitively outclassed by such a headphone when on the move and driven by solely an iPhone?

Many thanks for first hand information / impression!

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #711 of 2,678
Question.
I asked this already a little differently (maybe a little tl;dr style tho) in a different thread and do not seem to get the answer I am looking for.

I am about to jump ship with this headphone. I will be using it 70% stationary with a portable amp, 15% on trips with a portable amp and 15% on the move without a portable amp.

With 46Ohm impedance it does not exactly seem to be a perfect mate for use solely driven by an iPhone. Some comments seem to tell the same.

How bad does the audio quality drop when driven by an iPhone compared to use with a (decent tho not summit-fi level) amp? Does it degrade to the level where a lower class Headphone explictly made for use by a portable player like the iPhone sounds better? Say, it gets definitively outclassed by such a headphone when on the move and driven by solely an iPhone?

Many thanks for first hand information / impression!

46ohms isn't much and doesn't require an amp.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #716 of 2,678
I ran them from my Ipod (4th gen) and they sound fine, as another indicated the bass is not as tight but you have to REALLY listen for it.  It you simply enjoy the music I doubt you will know, especially without a side-by-side comparison.  I will say though that in my opinion they scale up will.  I currently use the Fiio E09k+E17.  It is a great combo and to my ears really expands the sound stage and imaging.  In fact it feels better then my DT 990pros as times which which is odd considering the whole closed and open back thing.  One thing is if you do use a powerful amp be careful, gave myself a heart attack by turning my amp to high cause I though my DT's were plugged in so I thought I killed my Shures, good thing I did not! Although begin studio headphones they should be able to handle some abuse! (in theory).

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #717 of 2,678
Just putting in my two cents:

I've owned lots of great headphones and nowadays I wind up listening to these srh1540s more than any of them. That includes the Audeze LCD-2s and the Sennheiser HD600s, my other two favorites. 

I think the srh1540s are Shure's best headphones to date, and much better than the srh940 (which I also own) and their open-back headphones. 

For the past year I've mostly been listening to the srh1540 and the LCD-2 as my headphones of choice, and I find that they actually sound very similar. With the Shures being more practical for quiet listening, and at half the price of the LCD-2, I can't recommend them highly enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back