Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #241 of 2,678
  What is this bass boost you speak of? I'm confused by your wording.

In the settings of the bifrost usb drivers it defaults to a -3db bass boost.  I turned off all of the effects.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #242 of 2,678
  In the settings of the bifrost usb drivers it defaults to a -3db bass boost.  I turned off all of the effects.

Really?  I didn't know that.  Interesting.

Where did you turn off the effects?

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #243 of 2,678
  Really?  I didn't know that.  Interesting.

Where did you turn off the effects?

I believe I went to Control Panel-> Volume Control then navigated to the usb driver from there.  PM me if you can't find it though and I can help you further (and if need be I can hop on skype or google hangouts).

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #244 of 2,678
Got them since Monday and until now this has been a very interesting experience.
Let put it this way:

Monday evening: 1h date before sleep time - WOW, these are nice
Tuesday at work: first 1h of listening - ok, why exactly did I like them yesterday? End of work day - ok, these are quite nice
Wednesday after 5h of listening at work - god damn, why do I have to go home?! I want to stay at work and listen to those beauties!

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #245 of 2,678
  I believe I went to Control Panel-> Volume Control then navigated to the usb driver from there.  PM me if you can't find it though and I can help you further (and if need be I can hop on skype or google hangouts).

Thanks. I'll have to look into it. I rarely use USB anyway, but I didn't know settings were buried that deep at times.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #246 of 2,678
  Got them since Monday and until now this has been a very interesting experience.
Let put it this way:

Monday evening: 1h date before sleep time - WOW, these are nice
Tuesday at work: first 1h of listening - ok, why exactly did I like them yesterday? End of work day - ok, these are quite nice
Wednesday after 5h of listening at work - god damn, why do I have to go home?! I want to stay at work and listen to those beauties!

Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #247 of 2,678
  Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

Yes, there's indeed something special about them. Can't wait for tomorrow (I only listen to headphones at work). The Sennheiser HD8 have been already sent back today :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #248 of 2,678
Hey guys,

I'm currently tossing up the SRH1540's vs a set of Beyerdynamic T90's.

I've owned a pair of SRH840's for 3-4 years now and they're great so being a shure fanboy is a plus. I like that they're closed and have the detachable cable, all plusses.

Everything I hear about the T90's is nothing short of amazing. I know it's an open headphone but I figured that having the 840's for a closed experience and the T90's for the open is also a good contrast. It's really first world problems over here but if you were stuck on the decision of the 1540's vs the T90's what would you choose? 

I guess I can't really go wrong either way, I'm sure they're both stellar headphones... I just wanted to throw this one out there and see what people think :)

Cheers guys,

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #249 of 2,678
  Hey guys,

I've owned a pair of SRH840's for 3-4 years now and they're great so being a shure fanboy is a plus. I like that they're closed and have the detachable cable, all plusses.

Everything I hear about the T90's is nothing short of amazing. I know it's an open headphone but I figured that having the 840's for a closed experience and the T90's for the open is also a good contrast. It's really first world problems over here but if you were stuck on the decision of the 1540's vs the T90's what would you choose? 

I guess I can't really go wrong either way, I'm sure they're both stellar headphones... I just wanted to throw this one out there and see what people think :)

Cheers guys,

How do you like your treble?  If on the hot side, Beyers.  If a hint south of neutral, the Shures.  The 1540 are very unlike the 840 from what I've read.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #250 of 2,678
  Hey guys,

Cheers guys,

It's hard to compare an open headphone to a closed one.  I have heard mixed reviews about the T90 and that it can be rather harsh.  I also heard that given the difference in sound quality between them and the DT990 that they're not worth the price difference at $650.  Now I haven't heard them personally of course so take that for what it's worth.  Also keep in mind that this is the 1540 thread lol so you might be able to guess what a lot of us are going to say :).

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #251 of 2,678

How do you like your treble?  If on the hot side, Beyers.  If a hint south of neutral, the Shures.  The 1540 are very unlike the 840 from what I've read.

Background, I'm 30 (from Australia) and listen to a lot of punk/rock/metal/hardcore/indie music and do some music production at home.... but the way you guys use adjectives on sound is still a bit foreign to me :)

For me clarity/soundstage is really key, I've got a pair of KRK-ROKIT's I use at home for everyday speakers and just love them over "the best logitech setup" etc. I guess I like super neutral things and can sit back and appreciate however good/bad the recording is without having to tweak bass/treble... I just accept the music as it comes to me.

So treble on the hot side, doesn't sound super appealing from a music recording point of view but from a listening pov I might be misinterpreting it. 

I guess based on your suggestion the Shure's might be the winner. 
Another thing that has me worried about the T90's is the fixed cord... do these things actually last 5+ years? Something about being able to get a new cable appeals to me (but I admit I do hate how it does the split thing halfway down the cable on the shures, but I can deal).

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #252 of 2,678

Actually, if my memory serves me right, these are actually like an 840 with more impact down low, and a wider soundstage. More technically refined, also....

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #253 of 2,678

[/quote

Actually, if my memory serves me right, these are actually like an 840 with more impact down low, and a wider soundstage. More technically refined, also....

Also you fail at quoting people 
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #254 of 2,678
  It's hard to compare an open headphone to a closed one.  I have heard mixed reviews about the T90 and that it can be rather harsh.  I also heard that given the difference in sound quality between them and the DT990 that they're not worth the price difference at $650.  Now I haven't heard them personally of course so take that for what it's worth.

I have both the 1540 and the 990s.  The 1540s are better in almost every way.  They are smoother, with absolutely no grain.  The treble is smooth and nice.  Bass runs deeper and has more texture.  The 1540s have mids that rival the liquid ones of the HD600s.  The 990s have a lot of grain, super hot treble, recessed mids, and less definition in the bass.  They do have a lot of bass for open cans, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back