Shure SRH1540 Review
Aug 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,367 of 2,683
I just got my X2s. Give me a little time with them and I can do that for you. I can tell you right now that the Shure is definitely more laid back.

Any heads up on the Shures vs X2 issue ? I'm eagerly waiting for the comparison. :D

I still need more time. I want to make sure that my comparison is as accurate as possible and isn't biased by "new toy" syndrome. I have been working about 60 hours a week so that has slowed me down. If you have any questions I can probably answer them, but an in depth comparison will take me a little bit of time.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,368 of 2,683
I still need more time. I want to make sure that my comparison is as accurate as possible and isn't biased by "new toy" syndrome. I have been working about 60 hours a week so that has slowed me down. If you have any questions I can probably answer them, but an in depth comparison will take me a little bit of time.

I see, you're giving a lot of effort... thanks for that :)
I have about 15 days to decide. So I guess I have that "little bit of time".
I'd like to ask 2 things regarding the Shures, however...
>Are the mids too recessed ? I mostly listen to soft rock & I do like vocal.
>Does the sound get too bad in high volume ?

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,369 of 2,683

I see, you're giving a lot of effort... thanks for that :)
I have about 15 days to decide. So I guess I have that "little bit of time".
I'd like to ask 2 things regarding the Shures, however...
>Are the mids too recessed ? I mostly listen to soft rock & I do like vocal.
>Does the sound get too bad in high volume ?

I listen to metal and I like the X2 because it has more energy than the Shure. The Shure has gorgeous mids, but the vocals are neutral or slightly distant. The X2 has very forward vocals. The SRH1540 isn't terrible at high volumes, but is definitely better at moderate listening levels. The Shure also needs a lot more power than the X2 in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,370 of 2,683
I listen to metal and I like the X2 because it has more energy than the Shure. The Shure has gorgeous mids, but the vocals are neutral or slightly distant. The X2 has very forward vocals. The SRH1540 isn't terrible at high volumes, but is definitely better at moderate listening levels. The Shure also needs a lot more power than the X2 in my opinion.

Thanx for responding... "very forward vocals" doesnt sound good but "gorgeous mids" sound great. :)
Don't know if more energy means better to me, I am rather looking for a full bodied presentation.
Also, is power management a big issue ? I mean, will something like the Fiio X3ii be enough for the Shures ?

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,371 of 2,683

Thanx for responding... "very forward vocals" doesnt sound good but "gorgeous mids" sound great. :)
Don't know if more energy means better to me, I am rather looking for a full bodied presentation.
Also, is power management a big issue ? I mean, will something like the Fiio X3ii be enough for the Shures ?

It really depends on your sound preference. That will have enough power, but I personally need a lot of energy in my headphones. The Shure have a more laid back, sophisticated sound. Which is why I like them to have more power. I use a Cayin C5, but I'm sure the X3 will be enough. It will definitely get loud enough for you if that is what you are asking.

The Shure doesn't have quite enough bite for me when it comes to guitars. That is why I try to increase the energy with more power. With softer rock it shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,372 of 2,683

Full bodied presentation is definitely the Shure.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,373 of 2,683
It really depends on your sound preference. That will have enough power, but I personally need a lot of energy in my headphones. The Shure have a more laid back, sophisticated sound. Which is why I like them to have more power. I use a Cayin C5, but I'm sure the X3 will be enough. It will definitely get loud enough for you if that is what you are asking.

The Shure doesn't have quite enough bite for me when it comes to guitars. That is why I try to increase the energy with more power. With softer rock it shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Which guitar are you refering to ? I prefer acoustic guitar more...

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,374 of 2,683

Which guitar are you refering to ? I prefer acoustic guitar more...

The X2 is better at both acoustic and electric when it comes to guitar. The Shure is still good it just isn't as good. The Shure in general is more smooth, laid back and sophisticated. While the X2 is more energetic, detail oriented and airy.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,375 of 2,683
The X2 is better at both acoustic and electric when it comes to guitar. The Shure is still good it just isn't as good. The Shure in general is more smooth, laid back and sophisticated. While the X2 is more energetic, detail oriented and airy.

According to my experience, "detailed" sounds good at the begining but causes ear fatigue after some time. I seem to prefer smooth I guess, I also crave for a little more bass. I enjoy most when the music surrounds me.(sorry that I can't give any good explanation)

Also, can you please explain "laid back" & "sophisticated" ?

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,377 of 2,683

I wouldnt describe myself as a basshead but i definitely cant say the bass was too strong, if anything i found the sub bass a bit weak and would eq it up a touch at times.

The bass on the 1540 is good, is it the highest resolution bass I have heard? No... Is it the deepest sub bass I have heard? No... could the bass be deeper and higher resolution? Yes... Do they have good sounding bass which is one of the best under £400 overall? Yes.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,378 of 2,683

I think HD600 does probably sound better than the SRH1540, but they are very close in sound quality. I prefer HD600 sound because it's more tonally balanced - SRH1540 has too much sub bass emphasis to my ears. However, I disagree regarding the treble - I actually feel that SRH1540 has a more laid back and softer treble, while HD600 has more treble emphasis, particularly in the upper octave to my ears, and also more sharpness to the highs.

I agree regarding comfort issues with the SRH1540. Apart from the weird headband design, I also have an issue with the lack of pivoting on the earcups, which makes it quite difficult for me to adjust them proerly on my head. Also, I find that I need to extend the headband quite far, almost to the max,  to make them fit well on my head even though my head is about average in size - not large at all.

Depends on genre... classical music and the like = HD600, electronic music or anything with bass = 1540 every time. They would make a good combo although I am not sure how much I would use the HD600 as the 1540 are good all rounders with much better bass.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,379 of 2,683
  Bass on the X1 was less extended than the SRH1540. Treble on the X1 was artificial. The X2 has less bass and more treble, though I've not heard it. So based on what I know of the X1 that I did listen to extensively, I don't think I'd like the X2 better. It was also a lot less comfortable than the SRH1540 (after I did extensive headband reshaping that is).

This... The 1540 are better than the fidelio, but also nearly twice the £££

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,380 of 2,683

Yes I noticed the 1540 sound more punchy / more energy when they have 1 watt + of amp powering them. For example the volume knob on my dac / amp, makes a much bigger difference than the volume control in foobar / windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back