Shure SRH1440 or Sennheiser HD600 for a metalhead?
May 15, 2015 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shacophobia

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to Head-Fi and not entirely certain of all the details I need to include. But I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones for use solely at home (use Shure SE425 while traveling) and I've heard that open back cans are the way to go if sound leakage is not a problem. The music I listen to is mostly industrial rock and alt metal (think Slipknot/Rammstein for the former and Tool/Chevelle for the latter), and as such I've never been a fan of headphones with a ridiculous bass kick. The headphones I've been using for a fair few years are the Shure SRH840s which I loved (big fan of the Shure sound signature) and so naturally considering getting the Shure SRH1440s. I've also heard many good things about the Sennheiser HD600s (never owned Sennheiser gear before so don't know about their sound signature) so definitely considering those as well.

I can currently get either pair of cans for around the same price, just above $300 with delivery (I live in India). I'd appreciate any sort of input on which one you guys would recommend given the way my musical tastes veer? Doesn't have to be these just between these 2 either, can be any other set as long as it costs $300 or less.

May 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi @shacophobia! Welcome to Head-Fi!

I just saw your post, and so I've taken a few minutes to listen to the SRH840 to get a good base on your sound preferences with a few tracks from Rammstein's "Sehnsucht" album.  I've been comparing them to the SRH1440 and the HD600's, and if you really enjoy the sound coming from the SRH840, I think the SRH1440 might be a little more up your alley. To my ears, they have more instrument separation compared the SRH840's, but still holds a bit more towards that "Shure sound" you mentioned you really enjoyed.

Obviously, the best option is to have both side by side for your ears to decide, but based on what I heard with the SRH840, the SRH1440 may be more up your alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back