Shure SRH-940 vs Beyer DT1350
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering how you guys think they compare or which you prefer, sound wise.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm a big fan of my SRH940. The Shure mid-centric sound signature works well for me. They're comfortable (not super heavy, good headband, comfortable earpads). Isolation seems pretty standard to me for a closed can (no problems except in very loud environments). 

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 17
I think the 940 is the better all rounder but at the expense of portability. The 1350 has a bit more bass but ultimately is brighter and maybe a bit more brittle (my last listen was in a store with a brand new pair so this may be caused by the newness of the headphone). The 1350 has a smaller sound stage which is expected given that it's a lot smaller. I think both head phones compliment each other very well as they do have similar signatures and are both detail monsters.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks kimvictor & dweaver. I've owned both but several months apart. I think what you posted gels with my memory. One ugly but better overall (940), the other portable and very good as well.

I read your thread dweaver about the 1440. How much better is it than the 940? I'm debating on whether or not I need the isolation?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 17
I found the 1440 to have a bit more body in the midrange (slightly warmer)about the same treble and bass that has a bit more volume in the midbass and a bit less punch in the subbass. The sound stage is a bit more expansive. Lots of posts suggest the 1440 is just an open 940 which is mostly true but there are differences as mentioned that will either make,it your dream headphone or shy away.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 17
^ sounds interesting. I may have to try it out. Its practically the same price.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 17
The 1440 also seems to have a better design and definitely looks better as well.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 17
I wish they put the 1440 drivers in the 1840 frame as it is darn near indestructible the 1440 is better than the 940 for design (no broken parts) but does feel wably and loose (does make it darn comfortable though). The 1840 is alot more firm and is very sturdy due to the lack of moving parts.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 17
Definitely have to pay a premium for that extra durability.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 17
How does the bass on the Shure 940 compare do something like the Dt 880? More or less, and is it as tight! I'd like a detailed light lean and bright can for all pourpse listening, I will be using a DARK DAP and an amp, the amp will be for bass boosting when needed [and with light lean cans, it's needed for EDM] 

I'm stuck between the JDS labs C5 or the Fiio E12, C5 is a Brighter Amp with a 6hrz boost at 80hrz, and the Fiio Darker with a boost of 4.2 at 100hrz [so mid bass vs Sub]

I'm sure I'll end up in the Amp Thread again but, if the 940 has more bass than the Dt 880, then both amps should do fine [as the 880 was nice for edm with my old E11] 

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
How does the bass on the Shure 940 compare do something like the Dt 880? More or less, and is it as tight! I'd like a detailed light lean and bright can for all pourpse listening, I will be using a DARK DAP and an amp, the amp will be for bass boosting when needed [and with light lean cans, it's needed for EDM] 

I'm stuck between the JDS labs C5 or the Fiio E12, C5 is a Brighter Amp with a 6hrz boost at 80hrz, and the Fiio Darker with a boost of 4.2 at 100hrz [so mid bass vs Sub]

I'm sure I'll end up in the Amp Thread again but, if the 940 has more bass than the Dt 880, then both amps should do fine [as the 880 was nice for edm with my old E11] 

SRH940 has slightly less bass than DT880. However, 940 edges the 880 in terms of clarity and detail. Imaging is also better. 880 edges the 940 in terms of sound stage though. IMO, sound quality of 940 is a class above 880. 

940 is more forward sounding while 880 is laid back. If you want some good bass on 940, I would choose a warm amp. So E12 or E11 seems to be a good pick. What about the C&C BH amp?

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
SRH940 has slightly less bass than DT880. However, 940 edges the 880 in terms of clarity and detail. Imaging is also better. 880 edges the 940 in terms of sound stage though. IMO, sound quality of 940 is a class above 880. 

940 is more forward sounding while 880 is laid back. If you want some good bass on 940, I would choose a warm amp. So E12 or E11 seems to be a good pick. What about the C&C BH amp?

Are you kidding me lawl, a step above the 880 in terms of Clarity and detail... open can versus closed can end of discussion lol. And let's assume that the Shure 940 has more clarity and detail the build quality of it has proven to be pretty terrible. There was a thread of ppl who complain about it cracking, and Maul him self has stated that it's a fragile can. So that's a horrible quality for a portable can imo. The hole reason I got into Head Fi was I was sick of breaking headphones... not going to buy a $300 can that's as fragile as $10 ones.

An back to quality, it proably is more clear and detailed because it lacks bass. For me the Dt 880 was my favorite can, amazingy clarity and detail and some of the best Treble air and extension I've heard to date. I doubt the Shure 940 has the versitility balance that the Dt 880 does. Not to mention the 880 has a soulful warmth when powered appropiratly... 

Anyways moving on [sorry for that rant] the Shures build quality concerns me so for now I'm leaing it b in favor of the K550. In regards to the Mad Dogs Dan from MrSpeakers has recommended a balanced iBasso DAP for use with the Mad Dogs, maybe when I get my Tax Money Back in the winter I'll look into getting that combo. But for now, before I start getting Specialzed Portable Rigs going to go with a K550 a C5 and an Hm 601 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Are you kidding me lawl, a step above the 880 in terms of Clarity and detail... open can versus closed can end of discussion lol. And let's assume that the Shure 940 has more clarity and detail the build quality of it has proven to be pretty terrible. There was a thread of ppl who complain about it cracking, and Maul him self has stated that it's a fragile can. So that's a horrible quality for a portable can imo. The hole reason I got into Head Fi was I was sick of breaking headphones... not going to buy a $300 can that's as fragile as $10 ones.

An back to quality, it proably is more clear and detailed because it lacks bass. For me the Dt 880 was my favorite can, amazingy clarity and detail and some of the best Treble air and extension I've heard to date. I doubt the Shure 940 has the versitility balance that the Dt 880 does. Not to mention the 880 has a soulful warmth when powered appropiratly... 

Anyways moving on [sorry for that rant] the Shures build quality concerns me so for now I'm leaing it b in favor of the K550. In regards to the Mad Dogs Dan from MrSpeakers has recommended a balanced iBasso DAP for use with the Mad Dogs, maybe when I get my Tax Money Back in the winter I'll look into getting that combo. But for now, before I start getting Specialzed Portable Rigs going to go with a K550 a C5 and an Hm 601 
just saying this, but closed cans can sound better than open cans. The bass on 940 is very tight. Maybe not much quantity, but the quality is very good. Imo, 940 is a class above 880 in terms of clarity, detail, and extension. But I must agree with you on the build quality of 940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back