Shure srh 940 amp suggestions ?
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thestigdtown

New Head-Fier
okay so im planning on buying the shure srh 940 very soon and  currently have a asus xonar d2x soundcard. i am looking for an amp around 100$.... any suggestions? would there be much of a difference if i had one?

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
okay so im planning on buying the shure srh 940 very soon and  currently have a asus xonar d2x soundcard. i am looking for an amp around 100$.... any suggestions? would there be much of a difference if i had one?

Heya,

There won't be much of a difference. I would just listen to the SRH940 on the D2X and see if you like it. If you still feel like you want to spend $100 more to achieve virtually the same sound, then look at something like an iBasso DZERO or Fiio E7 or the new line products or something like that (ie, get off the sound card, use a discreet DAC with an AMP). Or even get a new soundcard if you prefer that (HD titanium, Xonar STX, etc).

Very best,

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 3
No, there won't be. The SRH940 does not need a separate amp that much since it has an impedance of just 40 Ohms. In fact, many amps with high output impedance would alter its sound in unpredictable ways so its not that good an idea to invest in an amp that does not have documented output impedance (that would be 99% of all amps).

The Xonar you have is already an improvement over onboard audio and this is all you really need. Onboard audio might sound bad with these cans since they are so resolving and will pick up all the typical artifacts you get with onboard audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back