Shure SRH 840 vs denon adh2000 vs demon adh600 vs Ath-50x
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rohand

New Head-Fier
Hi,
As you can pretty much tell by the title. I have narrowed my list of potential headphones to 4. Though i am open to other suggestions. My priorities in order are below:

-comfortable
- no sound leak
- good sound quality

I will playing directly from my PC, I listen to pop, classical, and movies.

Any help is apprecciated,
Thbaks

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 14
The 840 was my first can. I loved them, but they aren't for everybody. I have a pretty big frame so they were perfectly fine for me - maybe slightly uncomfortable after a while. My friends had other opinions for its weight. They thought it was the most absurd thing ever. It sounded fantastic, but it was horrendous for them.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Thank you for your quick replies.
In this price range and my specs do you think there are any other options other than the ones ive listed. Or do you think i have included one that doesnt deserve it?

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 14
Thank you for your quick replies.
In this price range and my specs do you think there are any other options other than the ones ive listed. Or do you think i have included one that doesnt deserve it?

Once again:

You need to describe the sound signature that you seek.

Also for going beyond the options you listed, we need to know:

What is your budget?

What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp (including a sound card with built in amp)?

Do you also plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 14
Hi,
I honestly do not know my sound signature, i like bassy headphones, vocals are really important. I did some research, i think i stand at warm and smooth.

Budget $350-400

Planning just from phone or pc

Maybe some travel, just with my phone. I will be using them in public so i need no sound leak

Thanks,
Rohan

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 14
Denon AH-D600 or Sony MDR1A.

D600 - great solid sub-bass but the sound stage is not that wide
MDR1A - great sound stage but the bass is more on boomy side

they both have the same V type SQ. you better audition both.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 14
If your budget is $350-400, then you can definitely replace the SRH 840 with the SRH 1540 - which is supposedly much more comfortable.

You can also include in Mad Dogs (Pro and 3.2). They sound fine out of my phone (Galaxy S5), but obviously sound better when paired with a DAC and amp.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 14
If your budget is $350-400, then you can definitely replace the SRH 840 with the SRH 1540 - which is supposedly much more comfortable.

You can also include in Mad Dogs (Pro and 3.2). They sound fine out of my phone (Galaxy S5), but obviously sound better when paired with a DAC and amp.

Where did you find the 1540 under $400? And Mad dogs are ok but they absolutely do need additional equipment and that's pushing the budget as well

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 14
What do you guys think, dt770 vs denon adh600 vs a900x? Anything im missing?

While I love the DT770, and think they sound great, I dunno if they are what you're looking for. The DT770's are bassy, but they are also pronounced in the treble (giving the headphones a slight U-shaped sound signature), making them bright and not quite so "smooth". They do vocals alright, but not as great as a warm or mid-centric headphones, imo.

You could look into the Beyerdynamic COP+. Not sure if I would call them "warm", but they are smoother up top than the DT770s and the bass adjustment feature is pretty cool. Theyre comfortable enough with the pleather pads that come with them, but if you want even better comfort you can buy the 770 or 990 velour pads.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Where did you find the 1540 under $400? And Mad dogs are ok but they absolutely do need additional equipment and that's pushing the budget as well

You are correct. I should not assume that the OP is content with used equipment. I've seen used 1540's for 350 or less. I also haven't tried them so I merely suggested them to the OP for further research.

I actually have listened to the Mad Dogs straight out of my phone, and while it does drain the battery, it sounds better than I would have thought. As I mentioned, they do sound significantly better when matched with a dedicated DAC and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back