Shure SRH 840 upgrade to SRH 1840?
May 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ReaperX13

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! First post here. I did read the 'read here first' but found the latest post to put me off posting in the Full Size Headphone recommendation thread; if someone has to Bump to get a reply.. I do apologise if this new thread annoys anyone or starts off a bad rep :p. I'm 'moving' here from OC forums for my sound/audio advice. There's just not enough of a reply there. The community isn't quite as specialized.

So I'm currently running a pair of SRH 840s; bought from release date in Australia; back in 09? I think it was. Love them to death; but I want an open back model. I also want an upgrade; not a side-grade. So I was curious as to whether the 1840s would be a good jump? The 1440's look great too but I think I'd find the 1840s more comfortable just by looking at them. I did find my 840s a little top heavy sometimes. But generally got used to it over the years. My DAC/AMP is Audioengines' D1. I have no desire to replace this anytime soon. (Works well with my Audioengine 5+ and Wharfdale SW150 sub). I also looked at the Sennheiser HD 650s' but worry about their impedence. I also want to use them on my Cowon J3 from time to time and have no portable amp really; not anything fancy anyway. (I have a FiiO E5/E6 but rarely use them).

I'm after a solid pair of headphones that'll last me another good 3-4 years + with solid/balanced sound. Good bass is a plus; but I'm getting mixed reviews from reading, well, reviews about the 1840s bass response. (Honestly I'd rather a slightly heavier/stronger bass than my current SRH 840s; though realizing these are closed headphones vs Open headphones; I'm not sure how this compares? I've never used Open-backs before for any significant period of time. There is NO place I know of near me that I can test The Shure SRH 1840s. (Sydney Australia, near the city). The only open-backs I've ever heard were AD700s/AD900s from Audio Technica. In a store in the city. I was one day set on the AD900s; but read into their very light bass response; and was slightly turned away. I don't want BOOMY headphones; just a solid bass response with a solid immersion. If you know what I mean?

Any suggestions or input?

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=676

Would most likely be where I'd be buying from. If that gives you any idea of the price I'm looking at; currently everything I'd be considering would be from that site; but once my decision is made I'd be looking around for the cheapest buy. 600+ is a lot to throw down on headphones; but considering my speaker setup (inclusive of the D1) cost almost 1k.. I guess it's not too huge? :\.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back