Shure SRH-840 DAP compatibility; revival of the good'old sony DAPs?
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
Hey there,

I've been around here for some years now but haven't been an active poster for sometime. 
But there's something bothering me now.

My love for head-fi naturally lived on, and in the meantime I purchased a Shure SRH-840. I assume this can needs no introduction here.

Now, I'v had an iPhone 3GS at the time, which I found insufficient for the can. I have a Corda 2Move but at some point got tired of lurking that around all day. (I commute 2 hours by train every day).

Now I've been searching for some DAPs or Phones that could power my cans well enough, but haven't found that after a frustrating search and of and on switch of devices. I've had the Palm pre, an HTC Desire HD, HTC Mozart, Clip, NWZ-A845, iPod Video (not classic) and some other devices that are not of use here...

Now, I've had the headphone in a friends' iPhone 4, and it powered it surprisingly well. However, this was a factory simlock free device bought in Switzerland. Due to EU regulations for volumes, (SPL), I'm afraid this will not be the case with any EU iPhone 4. Besides, the devices is hard to get for a nice price. I'm not planning to spend over 500 euro's for a phone.

However, I dug up my old Sony walkmans (which I used to love) and was stunned that (after trying around 20 different DAPs) my old Sony NW-S705 powered the Shure perfectly. It could drive it to high volumes without noticeable distortion and even with dance tracks (lots of base), there was no distortion were many players (some with nessecary sound enhancements) just totally distorted.

Now my question to you connaiseurs is; why does my old Sony NW-S705 drive my Shures so well i.e. what DAP could possibly produce the same sound as this little sony player. Obviously, this sony has a lot of disadvantages with the major being its age and chance to break down any time soon (which I would highly regret as it is the only DAP capable of driving my cans as desired.)

I'm currently in the process of reviving an old (but brand new) Sony NW-A1200 and see how that works out. Also, I tried the very first of them (NW-HD1) and it powered the shure's kinda good too, but there was some distortion...

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Ric

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm interested in the same question for my SRH840. I've read that some of the Cowon players might be quite powerful and I'm currently bidding on a second-hand Sony on ebay. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 5
did you get the sony?

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 5
No, in the end the second-hand Cowon D2 was bidded up to £75 and the Sony D-NE10 to £50. For that much I was able to get a brand new Sansa Clip+ and a pair of Sunset SW-Xcapes. Maybe not the best source, but a heck of a lot more portable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back