Shure SRH 440, Sennheiser HD 448, Denon AHD 1001 or else?
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FliXor

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophiles,

the past few days I've been browsing threads all over Head-Fi to find the ideal headphone for me. Initially, I stumbled over Head-Fi while looking for user experiences with the Sennheiser HD 448, but let me list my preferences...

Cirumaural headphones/"Closed cans"
Relatively neutral output
Solely unamped use (mostly iPod Classic and Laptop)

I want to use these headphones at home and sometimes while on the go. As I want to use it in the library I need at least mediocre sound isolation, so I don't bother fellow students.
atsmile.gif
Probably, I won't be listening on full blast, so isolation doesn't have to be top notch.

My musical preferences range from classical music, over idm and folk to rock and sometimes even dubstep. A wide range. I like a headphone that is somewhat universal in use. Overly bassy headphones are a no-go.

My budget isn't strictly limited, I'd prefer a headphone that's available at a maximum of about 100€ in Germany. If it's worth it, I might spend more - but not much more.

Currently, I am contemplating about these candidates (with German prices in brackets):
Shure SRH 440 (100€, maybe an additional 18€ for the SRH 840 ear pads)
Denon AH D 1001 (100€)
Sennheiser HD 448 (75€)
[I've had plenty of Sennheiser in-ears and earphones before, hence that's where I looked first for closed cups, but I am generally open to all manufacturers.]

Right now I feel very tempted by the SRH 440, but it's on the top end of my budget and as a student I wouldn't mind saving a buck or two if there are any adequate alternatives.

I am not an expert on headphones so there might be billions of models I don't even know about. I'd appreciate it if you could help me find "the one".
smile_phones.gif

Greetz Flix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back