Shure SRH 1540 or rather Focal Spirit Classic
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

karmakuma

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need some advice please. I want to upgrade my headphone experience :wink: After countless hours of searching this great forum and the rest of the internet I narrowed down my choice to two cans: Shure SRH 1540 or Focal Spirit Classic. Unfortunately here in Switzerland I cannot go and listen to either of them, let alone compare. So this will be a buy and live with it decision. Preference and budget allowance tending greatly towards the Shure since I already owned Shure gear as well as Focal (old Shure monitor, dont ask me the model, SE530, Focal Spirit one).

Please dont let this thread become a discussion about sound signature and its preference! Thats not what I am looking for. One is more expensive, one cheaper. Both definitively better than what I currently own. Maybe one will fit me better than the other signature wise. Dunno. Cannot know. Preference thing anyways I guess. So, please ignore this :wink:

What I am looking for, is advice on which of these two will consistently work better with my gear and offer the better overall sonic experience.

I will not be using them at home a lot - if at all (got a nice stereo setup for this)... What I will be using them for is mostly in office (70%) driven by a !portable! amp/DAC (currently Fiio e17, maybe willing to upgrade - Teac HA-P50 seems interesting, Ifi nano iDSD aswell. Would stretch my budget a little together with the Shure, less so with the Focal), commute and walkabout (15%) straight from my iPhone 5, holiday and trips (15%) again from the same portable amp/DAC.

I am pretty sure (pun not intended) that the Shure should be the overall better headphone sonic wise, let alone comfort and build quality. But what I am not sure (pun, again) about is, if it can be driven easily enough by my iPhone without an amp to sound good enough to still enjoy when on the move. Since it is rated at 64Ohm.

Secend concern is, if my current amp (Fiio e17) is good enough to "justify" the Shure or an upgrade shoud be strongly considered....

Well, thats the situation.

Again, please dont start any debate about sonic signature. Also no alternate headphone recommendation please. These are the two cans that seem to match what I am looking for which I could actually afford and buy in my country without importing (and maybe dealing with warranty hassle afterwards)...

Prepped answers to chose from :)
1. Go with Shure and ignore the slight impedance increase compared to the Focal when fed straight from iPhone, and keep your current amp/DAC because its fine enough.

2. Go with Shure and ignore the slight impedance increase compared to the Focal when fedstraight from iPhone, but please invest in a better portable amp/Dac to justify the headphone.

3. Go with Focal because the Shure will not cut it fed straight from iPhone without a proper amp, and invest in a new portable amp/DAC to leverage its possibilities when stationary or on holiday and trips.

4. You ignorant dumbass!, I have a better solution....

Well, thats it I guess :)
Many thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't know much about amp/dac but I think you will be okay with the shure. Many people use 80 ohm beyerdynamic without an amp and it still sound good :) so I don't think you will facing a hard time with 64 ohm shure

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Damnit I want to know which one had better sq!! On all ranges!! Especially mids and  bass. Im looking into this HP as well!

Define "better SQ" - what does that really mean to you? Is "better" more or less bass? More or less mids? Is perfectly flat better than enhanced bass and treble?

The OP says he doesn't want this to be a discussion of sound signature preference - but how can it be anything else? There is NO definition of "best" in audio - the concept is meaningless. ANY discussion comparing two quality headphones is based on personal preference - even if the reviewer is a professional like Jude here at head-fi, or Tyll at InnerFidelity. That's simply the way audio works. A universal scorecard allowing you to rank SQ does NOT exist. You are, of course, free to disagree! :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Very true my friend! So to me I want forward mids with treble sparkle and an authorative bass that doesn't overstep its boundaries.Enough bass to give me that rumble Im looking for in the sub bass but not enough to bleed into  other frequencies.  I prefer warm to cold but not overly warm. Something where I can hear every detail and hear the extension in all frequencies like when I singer is ending a note and hearing the breath after :) I swear this does not exist I just want the perfect closed back!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Im looking at the shure 1540s, P7,Focal Spirit Classic, Akg k545, and Hp50. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back