Shure SM-57 & connection to PC???
May 28, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RocketScientist

New Head-Fier
Hi, I made plans to buy an SM-57 microphone for the longest time. There is one slight problem though, I don't know how I should use this and connect it to my PC. I'd like to use talk on games and record vocals and guitars. What would you recommend me buying to connect to my PC?

May 28, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 6
A mic like the SM57 is expecting to be connected to an actual amp, not just a sound card. You could possibly get away with something like an EMU card, but certainly nothing less.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketScientist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I made plans to buy an SM-57 microphone for the longest time. There is one slight problem though, I don't know how I should use this and connect it to my PC. I'd like to use talk on games and record vocals and guitars. What would you recommend me buying to connect to my PC?

M-Audio Transit.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 6
There's some XLR to unbalanced 1/4" cables, then you could grab a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and put it into your "mic-in" input on your computer.

It's not really ideal, and you'll end up without a whole lot of gain with background noise. But it does work.

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 6
You're a RocketScientist, and you cannot figure out how to connect a microphone to your computer??

Sorry, I just couldn't resist
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio Transit.

M-Audio Transit doesn't have a mic input, just a line input.

RocketScientist, the easiest way to record with a professional microphone is to use an audio interface with an internal microphone preamplifier. The E-MU 0202 USB is a good choice for a dynamic microphone like the SM57 because that microphone won't require phantom power to operate (unlike a condenser). A cheaper but slightly more complicated option would be to buy a small mixer that has microphone preamplifiers and use its line outputs into your sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back