Shure SE846 = What?
Feb 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sweetben

100+ Head-Fier
For me the Shure SE846's (with the standard filter) are hands down the best headphones I've ever had.   Still, there are just some times when I don't feel like shoving something in my ear.

So my question is what full sized headphone most sounds like they do?  

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 20
You have $1000 earphones and want a recommendation for similar quality? Hell, I think most of us don't even know what that sounds like, but the Sennheiser HD 800's are around that price point and are often widely said to be the best full-sized headphones. HD 700's for cheaper, though I've heard some people say they don't like them, so much that even the $250 Sennheiser HD 650's sound better.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 20
Without having heard your specific earphones, it'd be hard to make any recommendations. If you had phrased the question more vaguely by saying "similar quality" I'm sure you'd have lots of answers. :p But if you want the same sound signature entirely... you'd need to find someone with experience with your Shure specifically, or you need to put on and test some headphones yourself.
A brief lookup of your Shure says that they seem to be a very balanced sound, so I would recommend giving the Sennheiser HD 650 a listen. I can't help you much with other brands, Sennheiser research has always been my forte. I settled for the HD 598 and absolutely love them. They're neutral sound and very heady, though bass is about a negative two out of 10.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 20
I've had the Senn 650's and 600's.  I've had the Grado GS1000's.  None of them have full sound of my Shure's.  The closest I've come are my Denon 7000's, but they don't have the high end or low end power (low end is close), or just the straight up richness of my Shure's. 

I have yet to hear any Audeze headphones but what I've read leads me to believe that maybe one of their models might do the trick.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 20
Well, then you probably have to remember that high quality in-canal phones will almost always deliver the best sound compared to any other type of headphone. I sympathize with not wanting something in your ears to listen to music, but for all I know you might have to take a small hit in whatever you end up choosing.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 20
  For me the Shure SE846's (with the standard filter) are hands down the best headphones I've ever had.   Still, there are just some times when I don't feel like shoving something in my ear.

Audeze LCD-2 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 20

Haha, I had the exact same problem. Once I had the Shure SE846, no headphone sounded good anymore. I ended up buying a Sennheiser HD800.

But to answer your question, some people say the LCD-2 headphones are quite similar to the Shure SE846 so check those out.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 20
  I've had the Senn 650's and 600's.  I've had the Grado GS1000's.  None of them have full sound of my Shure's.  The closest I've come are my Denon 7000's, but they don't have the high end or low end power (low end is close), or just the straight up richness of my Shure's. 

I have yet to hear any Audeze headphones but what I've read leads me to believe that maybe one of their models might do the trick.

As a fellow Shure SE846 owner also preferring the standard blue filter, I can certainly relate to your question. To me the answer is the Audeze LCD-X.

I recommend that you employ a bit of EQ to make it audibly flat across the entire frequency spectrum. It really takes it up another notch.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 20
I wholeheartedly recommend the Alpha Dog pair with the schiit lyr or alo portable amp.

this setup cost $1000 while the HD800 is close to $1000 by itself and the LCD cost more just for the Phones.

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 20

Haha, I had the exact same problem. Once I had the Shure SE846, no headphone sounded good anymore. I ended up buying a Sennheiser HD800.

But to answer your question, some people say the LCD-2 headphones are quite similar to the Shure SE846 so check those out.

So you like both Shure SE846 and Sennheiser HD800 about equaly? Or better, what is your experience with both?
(To me to these two seem to be two of the besti choices...)

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 20

Note that there's a possibility that the lack of fullness in the sound of the HD6x0 and GS1000 could be due to lack of isolation; the headphone you claim to sound close is also a closed headphone (and also known for a bit of bass boost more than the others). Ambient noise isn't a distinct sound that you can hear - a quiet 9pm in a suburban area might still be around 35-38dB of ambient noise. That's as loud as high-pressure PC fan blowing into a tightly-spaced radiator, except of course if you ran such a PC in the real world you'd have to deal with ambient noise on top of that. Try an SPL meter app - if you're getting over 35dB that's likely the problem. I actually loosen the headband of the HD600 and keep the earpads relatively new since a tight HD600 with worn out earpads are too "full" to the point of "fat and bloated," plus the treble is actually more sibilant even with an overall dark sound. 

Then there's the amp. If you used a really good amp with the HD6x0 and GS1000 then it would sound consistently neutral for a lot more dB, but you might have used an amp that has the kind of harmonics that sounds warmer at the output you use with the SE846.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Haven't been able to find a place to demo these in London. Richersounds allows demos of the IE800, primarily why I went with those instead, but once I get rid of some unexpected bills I will be keen to try find the 846's to try, or Bose for the noise cancelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back