Shure SE846 IEM - Hissing Issue
Dec 17, 2016 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

martyp87

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Wondering if you can help me determine if there is an issue with the SE846s I have or if it is normal.

I have a Oppo HA-1, Chord Mojo and FiiO E18 amps.

When I plug the IEMs into any of them there is a background hiss as soon as the amp is switched on, regardless of volume. As far as I understand it, the Mojo has a very low noise floor and after watching various reviews on YouTube of it noone had an issue with hiss with very sensitive IEMs.

Before I try to RMA them and potentially end up with the same issue I thought I'd ask if it was normal for them first of all. It is not audiable when the music is playing but is an annoying between switching tracks of sitting in silence for a while.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't own them, but I do know they are incredibly sensitive IEMs, and they are very likely to pick up the hiss of amps that are not absolutely dead silent.

The chances are that there's nothing wrong with yours, and if you RMA them for a replacement then the replacement is likely to pick this hiss up as well.

The hiss fault is more likely to lie with your amps than the headphones, and even with the Mojo and it's low noise floor other users have reported a slight hiss with incredibly sensitive IEMs.

Even in this review from Headphonia reported that the Mojo hisses - 2nd page, and I'm betting the SE846 is the IEM where the hiss was noticed.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for confirming my beliefs that it is just down to how sensitive they really are.

I picked up a set of HD800S headphones today from a HiFi store and chatting with the guy in the store I mentioned the noise and he said it may be the IEMs that were at fault opposed to my amps as he was familiar with both amps. However, he wasn't familiar with the Shure IEMs so thought I'd post the question here.

Not a deal breaker though, they are excellent IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back