Shure SE846 Gen 2
Oct 1, 2022 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jetpacksam

100+ Head-Fier
Shure SE846 Gen 2

Product Description

The second generation of the SE846 Quad-driver Sound Isolating Earphone introduces two new colors (Jade and Graphite) along with an updated clear model. The two-tone design of the graphite and jade versions presents a color on the exterior shell while showcasing the precision engineered components through a clear inside casing.
A new sound signature is available through a 4th nozzle filter. Called the "extended" filter, this new frequency response is now the standard/integrated sound out-of-the-box. A new extra-small sleeve (XS) has been added for a personalized fit.
Shure Sound Isolating™ Earphones, built with balanced armature speakers, deliver a detailed soundstage free from outside noise. The powerful and stylish Shure SE earphones come with a detachable cable, adapters, a durable carrying case, and interchangeable Sound Isolating sleeves for a comfortable and personalized fit.
Shure SE846 Gen2 Sound Isolating Earphones Features
  • 1 - pair SE846 Detachable Sound Isolating earphones
  • 1 - Universal 3.5 mm Earphone Communication Cable
  • 1 - Premium carrying case
  • 1 - 1/4" adapter
  • 1 - Soft Flex Sleeves (S, M, L)
  • 1 - Foam Sleeves (S, M, L)
  • 1 - Comply Sleeves (S, M, L)
  • 1 - Triple Flange Sleeves
  • 1 - Yellow Foam Sleeves

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 18
The shels were adjusted, drivers have been updated and some tweaks to tuning. There is a review by eaccoustics and also during the product announcement. The original Shure was was very good, the additional filter was one of the items requested in the past, you can find here on the G1 846 thread

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 18
I am highly dissapointed from Shure!
It looks like they expect people that have the ~$1000 earphone to pay anothe $1000 for a filter.
But, perhaps this is not enough. I would be very surprised if the new filter can overcome the fact
that beyond 10Khz, the old SE846 has, according to published measurements, very little sound.
Now, the white filter is empty, I think, so it is 10Khz period.
From that, it may follow that the new SE846 version 2 is quite different from the old. However,
when I looked at an interview they had (cannot remember the pointer, but it seems a serious
one with marketing and engineering), there is very little (if at all) changed technically in the
earphone itself, besides the new color.

So, in my opinion, this is a shame for a company like Shure. Tell us how the new version is
technically different, or sell us the new filter with reasonable price, or, well, don't want
to hear from you again (after more than a decade of being an avid cosumer).

Oct 13, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 18
As I wrote earlier in the se846 thread - I compared very seriously all the filters, including the red ones that a friend who bought Gen 2 gave me, fortunately at a good discount.
And I can say again and again, with full confidence - se846 sparkle and give a full and rich frequency range and detailing to the full up to 15kHz with only a white filter and a cap removed from it at the bottom !!! All other filters, regardless of modification, do not make a different sound signature, but do degradation and distortion of the original pure sound that se846 can give
All tests with the se846 were done on a high-end audio interface and in close comparison with high-end reference headphones, which produce very accurate and correct studio sound.
Many people are afraid of a white filter, even with a cap - because their brain and consciousness, for various reasons, including psychological ones, are not ready for the correct and accurate sound. Or there may be other physical hearing impairments instead.
As for the quality sound of the se846 with a white filter without a cap, it is very high and kills many other IEMs options up to $2000.

BUT I also have to point out that the sound in the se846 still cannot compete and come close even to a quarter of that of a true modern full-size open studio high-end headphones.
Listening to well-recorded and mixed music on the se846 can be fun - but they are designed for sound monitoring - that's exactly what I use them for and here they are out of competition among other more expensive IEMs!

Note - which is very surprising, everyone constantly writes about tests and high-frequency rolloff starting from 10kHz - this is wrong at the core!!! Because all these tests are carried out with a blue filter or its modifications, or a white filter with a cap - which muffles and makes the high frequencies fall more.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 18
I am enjoying the Gen 2 had the original one and the red filter does provide an improvement for me on the high end. All my tests tracks for Bass showed that it's not bleeding into the mids, get all the bunch I need.

One thing that I had forgotten is their shape is so comfortable that even allows to fall asleep, just such a key feature when compared to how the size of most IEM's shall have increased by 40-50%

Jhst enjoying these

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 18
BTW, I finally settled on my listtening preference. Staying with the new red filter. Changed the tips , which was a pain. Using the Azla Sedna Crystal by means of the spin fit adapters. Was concerned that I would lose Bass hit because the ear tip opening was a bit larger, but using two song ( Blue Laces 2 and Kill Jill ) I found that it slammed very good. Using some Fleetwood Mac notice that I did not impact the high end.

Really enjoying having these again

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 18
After having lived with these for 2 months, the sound stage is at least 10% wider with the new filters vs the G1, yet it retains the exact same sound signature.
I am blown away, AGAIN, at what Shure has done in the space they have to work with.
A new standard here, imo.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 18
Don't have a G1 to do direct A vs B, I had a chance for like 45 minutes to compare my G2 with a G1 at a guitar center, but at least you are seen some difference, as I found some difference from the new filter no doubt, but found that black filter is a bit less dark for separate from filters there is something different, the nozzle didn't seem to be exactly at the same angle either

Dec 26, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 18
Hello,
I have just ordered the 846 gen 2 and i have a few queries regarding accessories.

Please keep in mind that this is my first time using such high end iems and this is where i start my audiophile journey.

I am a hobby guitarist currently (i used to play live till a few years ago but currently i am not)

Till i can invest in a DAP i will use my android phone(currently using one plus 7t pro, hoping to upgrade to the galaxy s23 in the future) as my primary listening device. I will use FLAC audio files.

Do i need a portable DAP for my phone? if yes which one should i go for.

As it will be my daily driver i also want to have the option of taking calls while listening to music at work, which mmcx cable with mic should i go for? Will the mic work through the dacs as well?

I have also ordered the Shure RMCE-TW2 True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter. Can i use a single device for phone calls?
The specs talk about high quality BT streaming with built in amp, so i don't need a portable dac with bt option right? As per my understanding BT is still lossy, right?

Out of curiosity, why do some youtube audiophiles find legacy audio companies so mediocre?

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Hello,
I have just ordered the 846 gen 2 and i have a few queries regarding accessories.

Please keep in mind that this is my first time using such high end iems and this is where i start my audiophile journey.

I am a hobby guitarist currently (i used to play live till a few years ago but currently i am not)

Till i can invest in a DAP i will use my android phone(currently using one plus 7t pro, hoping to upgrade to the galaxy s23 in the future) as my primary listening device. I will use FLAC audio files.

As it will be my daily driver i also want to have the option of taking calls while listening to music at work, which mmcx cable with mic should i go for? Will the mic work through the dacs as well?

I have also ordered the Shure RMCE-TW2 True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter. Can i use a single device for phone calls?
The specs talk about high quality BT streaming with built in amp, so i don't need a portable dac with bt option right? As per my understanding BT is still lossy, right?

Out of curiosity, why do some youtube audiophiles find legacy audio companies so mediocre?
Some thoughts below. You will find this is a subjective hobby so you will get very different answers from different people. I personally use my SE846 Gen 1 with the TW2 and another Gen 2 with a Samsung Galaxy S22+ and a Qudelix 5K (via LDAC, this is my favorite combo in terms of sound and convenience), Dragonfly Cobalt or wired out of LG V60 (my second phone). The way I see it, whatever you find most convenient and enjoyable works best.

1. Do i need a portable DAP for my phone? if yes which one should i go for.

In my opinion, you don't need one for these. Many people use them because they want a headphone jack, more power and a dedicated player (I have seen people complain about phone calls and notifications when listening to music...I just put my phone on vibrate). SE846 don't require an ultra powerful amp to drive as they are very sensitive. However, if you decide to get one, make sure the output impedance is as low as possible and under 1 ohm. These IEMs have a low impedance (9 ohm if I recall correctly) and can dip even further.

If you need to be able to take calls, I don't recommend a DAP. That would be annoying to me personally since you need to switch devices. The TW2 could work for this with your OnePlus or Samsung phone but you are not going to get Apple Airpods level of call quality. I have used it for calls without issues though.

2. MMCX cable with mic

I cant really help you with this. I used the Shure cable dor Android maybe 10+ years ago and it was good for its time but not too great now. I use the TW2 for my Gen 1 and my SE846 has a Meze Rai Silver Plated Cable (no mic but like the looks). My Qudelix 5K has a built in mic in case I need to take a call but it is not the greatest solution for everyday use for phone calls. In most cases, when using wired, I just pull the IEMs out and pick up the call the old fashioned way. If I am placing the call, I switch to my Sony Linkbuds or Samsung Galaxy Buds Live/2/2Pro depending on whichever is closest to me. I prefer TWS for calls.

3. TW2

I am very happy with mine. It is convenient and just works as advertised. Bluetooth does mean it has its own onboard DAC and phone just transmits data via bluetooth. It is limited to aptX (OnePlus 7t and Samsung S23 support this so you don't need a separate transmitter). Currently, bluetooth is lossy but works fine for on the go use for me. TW2 also has EQ if you need that and you can use it for calls. Something like the Qudelix 5K would use bluetooth but can do LDAC, which is a higher quality bluetooth codec supported by most recent Android phones, but it is not fully wireless so you give that up. Even LDAC is lossy but the differences are small to me and I prefer the convenience of bluetooth.

4. Youtubers....

I don't really pay much attention to them. Many like their Chi-Fi products since they are much cheaper and a good bang for your buck. "Legacy audio" companies do tend to be a bit more expensive (I assume they have much higher labor cost and overhead) and many have probably been slower to adapt to changing consumers. You will see many complain that the SE846 is outdated and overpriced. I clearly disagree since I just bought a SE846 Gen 2 when my first SE846 Gen 1 is perfectly fine but I just like my Shure IEMs.

Anyway, if you read this far, enjoy the journey (welcome to the endless rabbit hole) and don't forget to enjoy the music along the way.

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 18
Some thoughts below. You will find this is a subjective hobby so you will get very different answers from different people. I personally use my SE846 Gen 1 with the TW2 and another Gen 2 with a Samsung Galaxy S22+ and a Qudelix 5K (via LDAC, this is my favorite combo in terms of sound and convenience), Dragonfly Cobalt or wired out of LG V60 (my second phone). The way I see it, whatever you find most convenient and enjoyable works best.

1. Do i need a portable DAP for my phone? if yes which one should i go for.

In my opinion, you don't need one for these. Many people use them because they want a headphone jack, more power and a dedicated player (I have seen people complain about phone calls and notifications when listening to music...I just put my phone on vibrate). SE846 don't require an ultra powerful amp to drive as they are very sensitive. However, if you decide to get one, make sure the output impedance is as low as possible and under 1 ohm. These IEMs have a low impedance (9 ohm if I recall correctly) and can dip even further.

If you need to be able to take calls, I don't recommend a DAP. That would be annoying to me personally since you need to switch devices. The TW2 could work for this with your OnePlus or Samsung phone but you are not going to get Apple Airpods level of call quality. I have used it for calls without issues though.

2. MMCX cable with mic

I cant really help you with this. I used the Shure cable dor Android maybe 10+ years ago and it was good for its time but not too great now. I use the TW2 for my Gen 1 and my SE846 has a Meze Rai Silver Plated Cable (no mic but like the looks). My Qudelix 5K has a built in mic in case I need to take a call but it is not the greatest solution for everyday use for phone calls. In most cases, when using wired, I just pull the IEMs out and pick up the call the old fashioned way. If I am placing the call, I switch to my Sony Linkbuds or Samsung Galaxy Buds Live/2/2Pro depending on whichever is closest to me. I prefer TWS for calls.

3. TW2

I am very happy with mine. It is convenient and just works as advertised. Bluetooth does mean it has its own onboard DAC and phone just transmits data via bluetooth. It is limited to aptX (OnePlus 7t and Samsung S23 support this so you don't need a separate transmitter). Currently, bluetooth is lossy but works fine for on the go use for me. TW2 also has EQ if you need that and you can use it for calls. Something like the Qudelix 5K would use bluetooth but can do LDAC, which is a higher quality bluetooth codec supported by most recent Android phones, but it is not fully wireless so you give that up. Even LDAC is lossy but the differences are small to me and I prefer the convenience of bluetooth.

4. Youtubers....

I don't really pay much attention to them. Many like their Chi-Fi products since they are much cheaper and a good bang for your buck. "Legacy audio" companies do tend to be a bit more expensive (I assume they have much higher labor cost and overhead) and many have probably been slower to adapt to changing consumers. You will see many complain that the SE846 is outdated and overpriced. I clearly disagree since I just bought a SE846 Gen 2 when my first SE846 Gen 1 is perfectly fine but I just like my Shure IEMs.

Anyway, if you read this far, enjoy the journey (welcome to the endless rabbit hole) and don't forget to enjoy the music along the way.
Thanks a ton for replying to every question.

I do need a usb c to 3.5 convertor for my phone, and using a generic one will affect quality right? So some kind of basic portable/dongle dac is what i need.

I was looking at the fiio btr5 2021 or the shanling ua3. But their impedance seems to be way more than whats needed for 846's 9ohms(you got that right). Can you recommend something which is low impedance and supports mic pass through(under 130usd)

What happenes if i use a wired btr5 2021 to drive the se846, btr5s recommendation is 16-200ohms, or any other high impedance DAC.

Is the astel & kern pee51 good enough? Says output impedance 2 ohms

Also for the shure tws gen 2,
Can you use it for calls using just one ear piece, while the other one rests in the case?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 18
I had the 846 and I thought it was passe' and massivly over rated.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 18
Hello,

I have the TW2 with 846 Gen 1 and they are very good. I also use the Shanling UA3 with Mac, iPad, iPhone. The UA3 dongle DAC is quite special and can even drive my 80 Ohm Focal's.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 18
The shels were adjusted, drivers have been updated and some tweaks to tuning. There is a review by eaccoustics and also during the product announcement. The original Shure was was very good, the additional filter was one of the items requested in the past, you can find here on the G1 846 thread
There is no change other than the Red filter. Don't know where you got this information from, but it's wrong. Shure themselves confirmed this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back