Shure SE846 as end game "headphone"?
Mar 29, 2014 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ubs28

Headphoneus Supremus
How are the Shure SE846 as an end-game audio device? Or do I need an AKG K812, LCD-3 or HD-800?

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 7
I would get all four, and an HE-6, to have all bases covered. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, I would say that he also needs to think about those 5k Abyss headphones too :)

But how much better do those headphones sound in comparison to the Shure SE846. Is it worth buying them for the improvement if it's small? :p

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 7
It depends on what you like. I don't like IEMs so . . .

I haven't heard SE846 but the charts look awful, so you can probably do better.

Honestly, the wholly notion of "endgame = flagship" is unhelpful and mostly comes from guys who slap their systems together without a developed notion of what sort of sound they enjoy. The models you mentioned are so different that it would be ridiculous to recommend any of them without actually trying at least some of them first.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I definitely don't think the SE846 is "endgame" by any means. It is a bit better sounding than my SE535 LTDs but not worth twice the price. They sound good and are a pretty fun IEM but not neutral if that's your thing. 

Part of the appeal of owning true headphones is the impact, soundstage and IMO, more involving sound. Pretty much all IEMs I've owned have been pretty "in your head" which isn't a bad thing necessarily. Can't beat IEMs for portability and the Shures provide great isolation. I love my 535s for travel but always go for a set of cans when I'm at thome.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 7
And as you likely are aware, if you're prepared to spend a ridonkulous amount on headphones be prepared to spend about the same on a source/DAC/amp that can wring all the goodness out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back