Shure SE535 problem with sweat
Oct 7, 2016 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thousand1000

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I was exercising with my SE535 the today with comply foam tips and got sweat into one of the units. Right now the unit has a very very low volume after about 6 hours. I can still hear music but it is very faint and it does sound a little wobbly.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and is the IEM damaged or will it recover perhaps. Is it possible to wash the IEM in alcohol and let it dry?

Thanks in advance for any tips or experience

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hi everyone,

I was exercising with my SE535 the today with comply foam tips and got sweat into one of the units. Right now the unit has a very very low volume after about 6 hours. I can still hear music but it is very faint and it does sound a little wobbly.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and is the IEM damaged or will it recover perhaps. Is it possible to wash the IEM in alcohol and let it dry?

Inside the SE535 nozzles are some filters, you can read about them here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

Odds are the sweat has saturated one of these filters. If they're not ok by the morning look into changing out the filters. If the sweat has gone beyond the filters into the housing there is a chance of damage to the balanced armatures.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the information, although it doesn't seem to have completely recovered but the sound is coming back day by day. Around 3rd day at the moment of this post. I'll look into filter replacements, not sure if I still have the tools to replace it as a lot of accessory was lost in moving.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 5
  Hi everyone,

It's not going to help you probably, but I've used the thermal chambers at work to bake waterlogged devices to evaporate the water. But in all cases the device was completely turned off when it fell into the tank/puddle/toilet/whatever (thankfully).

If you've been using it while it has been wet, you've probably shorted something (possibly killed a driver).

So yes, it's possible to recover from such events... but unfortunately in this case, I'd bet that at least one driver is damaged.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for everyone's help, a quick update:

Fortunately, my se535 have completely recovered from the incident, and the dampnerI ordered have arrived as well. Since it is not broken I have held off from changing the dampner at the present. Maybe I will make modifications if I ever get a new set of IEMs.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back