shure se530's
Jun 6, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 27
Just got SE530s after six months with E4Gs - in many respects I loved the E4s, but the lack of low end (to my ears, certainly compared to my E2Cs) was something I just couldn't get past.

Out of the box, the SE530s are wonderful - there's the bass I've been missing! They still have the fantastic Shure mids, yet sound a little recessed in highs compared to E4s, but that's probably because my ears are being suckered by the return of the low stuff. I'm not going to join the burn-in debate, they sound great right now and if they get better then that's all to the good.

Soundstage is remarkable for an IEM and fit and comfort are also much better for me than with the E4s. All in all, am very pleased I dropped the (considerable) extra $$$ on these. Now, given that I am running them from an unamped Sony NW-HD5 (which I love) will an amp really make much of a difference? If money was no object then I'd look at Ray Samuels's beautiful portables, but what about the Mini-box D?

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whilst armatures may or may not burn in, psychological (getting used to the sound) and fit issues definitely take a little time to settle down.

i totally agree.... i remember listening to my E500's right out of the box and I wasn't able to get that great of a seal and plus i had never used IEMs before so i didn't know what to expect. Needless to say i thought they sounded good but not that great. I then switched to the yellow foamies which others have said provided more isolation and lo and behold, i had a great seal AND it sounded even better after getting more familiar with them.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 27
I'm not too sure... people have had different opinions on both seeing that we all hear things differently and have differently shaped ears. Best thing to do is to get a pair and see for yourself. I haven't experienced the black foamies yet so I just ordered a few pairs to try a few minutes ago.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #22 of 27
well... its been said that the tomahawk pairs nicely with the E500s... but it would actually depend on your source to see if it would be worth amping or not. You can't get blood from a stone
icon10.gif
and for burning in your amp, you just need to use them, but i hear that to get the full potential of any amp requires hundreds of hours of burn in if not a thousand or so.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsJee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... its been said that the tomahawk pairs nicely with the E500s... but it would actually depend on your source to see if it would be worth amping or not. You can't get blood from a stone
icon10.gif
and for burning in your amp, you just need to use them, but i hear that to get the full potential of any amp requires hundreds of hours of burn in if not a thousand or so.

i meant the headphones with regards to burning in

i might look into that amp but with an ipod as you say might be pointless lol

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 27
The majority opinion + Shure's official response says there is no burn/break-in for the E500.

The E500 pairs very well with Ray's portables.

Bose was happy to replace my doubly broken Triports because they know they suffered a major design flaw that caused the cups to detach from the headband due to a tiny piece of plastic that breaks every time you drop them.

And cuz they know is the only thing they can do to treat their customers with respect -- they've already sold you crap.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 27
I think the higher end shures go beautifully with the Ray Samuels SR-71. It WILL improve on the ipod headphone output, especially if you run a line out cable from the ipod dock connector.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by h-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the higher end shures go beautifully with the Ray Samuels SR-71. It WILL improve on the ipod headphone output, especially if you run a line out cable from the ipod dock connector.

X2

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 27
lol when shall i expect the bill

i cant get other how helpful you all are

i will have to look into these ray things
but i must say im not overly impressed with the low end bass, as i dont like listenin too loud

apart from loving them, probably a little bias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back