Shure SE530's vs. Klipsch Image X10's
Feb 10, 2009 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

scottyb06

Head-Fier
Greetings! I am in the market for a pair of in-ear phones and am choosing between the Shure 530's and the Klipsch Image X10's. I previously tried the Shure SE210's and was highly unimpressed. While I thought that the midrange sounded fantastic, they were sorely lacking in bass - even when I ensured a proper seal and even when I changed the EQ on my iPod to "rock". I then tried a pair of Bose TriPort phones expecting to be unimpressed. To my surprise, I really like how they sound. My only gripe is that they don't block out enough noise which i realize they are not designed to do since they're not in-ear phones (or in-canal - whatever). Anyway, I am able to get a discount on these two brands of headphones (and therefore cannot choose between other brands). Based upon what I've read on the Shures, I'm a bit concerned that while the bass reproduction in the 530's may be increased from the SE210's, it still may not be enough to justify the cost. I've not heard anything bad about the Image X10's, however, I've also not found a head-to-head comparison with the 530's. I primarily listen to rock, some pop/rock (e.g., the Killers, Radiohead, Coldplay, etc.), and some classical. I will not be using a headphone amplifier but would consider using one eventually. I primarily listen to my music in a standard office environment for roughly five hours out of your average working day. Also, I did appreciate the build quality of the Shure 210's and found them to be relatively comfortable (but not as comfortable as the Bose). Your thoughts are appreciated - especially about the Image X10's!

thanks
happy_face1.gif

Edit: I forgot to add - the vast majority of my music is encoded at 256kbps ripped from CDs (although i do have some at 128 as well)

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to Head-Fi Scotty. I noticed that this was your first post. I wish I can help you with an answer but I can't since I am not familiar with these IEM's. Read everything you can though on the SE530's. They are a classic and sit near the very top of the heap. With that said, I hope someone will jump in here who has used both IEM's extensively and answer your question with more aplomb. Regards.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks. One thing I forgot to add was that although Shure has apparetly been great to deal with regarding their 2 year warranty, I have read that a lot of folks have had to send in their phones for repairs. To me, this sounds like something you shouldn't even have to do in the first place given the high cost. I doubt this would an issue for me given that I don't wear headphones when I work out - I mostly use them at my office. From what I've read so far the Klipsch are sounding like the way to go. But, I know that the Shures are supposed to be "audio nirvana" and would hate to get the Klipsch and then think, "what if..."
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 21
For me the SE530's have plenty of bass. I just bought some Comply tips from Audeo and they added more punch to the low-end (compared to the medium Shure olives). I haven't quite determined whether it is too much bass or not, but to my surprise it was an easily noticeable increase.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but after a 4 hour plane ride this evening, the SE530's do seem to have a tad less isolation than my Shure E3's and E4's. I have no idea how the isolation compares to the Klipsch though.

I had to warranty my E4C's, but that was only because I left one of them submerged in a not quite empty cup of coffee for a day or so. I'm not too concerned about the wire splitting problem on the SE530's since, worst case, I'll get a new pair of 530's (or their replacement) sometime in the next two years at no charge.

Good luck, I'm sure the Klipsch are great headphones as well.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 21
the 530's will produce as much bass as you ask them to, slap on a bass heavy song and they will thump it out like no other, something bass light and it will hide like its supposed to. someone just the other day said on some daft punk stuff the 530 had better bass then his IE8's

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 21
First, sorry about your wallet.

Purely from reading, the X10s have a more balanced presentation, and the se530s have excellent mids, but recessed highs (Topmounter can probably comment more on that). The X10s are the most comfortable IEM out there, and do sound great.

I think the decision would be much easier if you knew what sound signature you prefer, as from my reading they have very different sound sigs.

Also, what kind of discount are you talking about? The Phonak Audeo PFEs are a great deal at $135 or so, and get higher ratings than the X10 (I believe there are comparisons between the PFE and X10 and PFE and se530 in the Phonak Audeo threads).

I owned the PFEs and thought they were excellent for the price, but I didn't keep them because the IE8s are much more enjoyable to me.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 21
The Klipsch Image X10 are going to be the most comfortable. In fact, they are probably the best IEM/headphone I've heard (so far) that get completely out of the way of the sound coming through them. They are an absolute treat to listen to, IMO.

I have the Shure SCL4 also (not the SE530, but hey), and I feel they are also good IEMs. If the SE530 improved on the SCL4 by a fair margin (I'm sure they do), the Image X10 would be hard-pressed to match them.

The Image X10 has a laid back presentation (smooth and easy, not jumping all over your ears), while the SE530 is going to feel more forward (right in your face instruments and vocals).

Good luck. Both are excellent IEMs, so neither will steer you wrong.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 21
I've had both and if se530 have recessed highs, x10 highs don't exist. From what I read x10's sound very good when amped. But I used them both unamped and for me it's definitely shure. Klipsch are indeed very comfy but have very bad microphonics. In the sound department for me about every part of the spectrum sounds better on shure. I think the price difference between them reflects the reality. Put it this way - if your budget only alows you to get Klipsch, go for them, you'll be happy. If you can get se530, they're slightly more expensive and about that much better (to me anyway).

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 21
i have not heard or got the x10, but the se530 are sensational, theres no doubt about it, alot of people say they have recessed highs and when presented with a flat sound they are a little dull indeed but these armatures respond so very well to a bit of EQ. the se530 has no problem at all producing crystal clear highs, they just need a little EQ tweek to get them.

mids is possibly the best available as IEM's go, this is the general consensus and i must admit its near perfection.

lows are superb to be honest, at low volume like all headphones the lows dont really bounce through but when you crank it up and put some bass heavy music on you really do appreciate the bass these things put out.

if theres one downside to these phones its something nobody has mentioned ever before but here it goes, there is ''port noise''. when theres a big long bass line if you concentrate you can hear the air shooting through the port, this is very common with ported subwoofers and you can hear it for sure, it can be mistaken for mechanical noise but in reality it sounds like a very light blowing noise, some people like it but some may think hmmmm.

the fact that theres 3 drivers in each ear piece does not specifically mean they sound better but it does mean that when you really crank the volume up the se530 is much less likely to distort and they will go very very loud with no sweat, this is hit and miss with single drivers as everybody should know.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm running the SE530's flat, but haven't got to the point where I feel I need to EQ the highs... the lack of bass and recessed highs comments are a bit lost on me so far.

I'm definitely a fan of the Shure sound signature though. When I first heard the 530's the sound signature reminded me of my B&W / Meridian home rig.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 21
Ok, well let me ask this: Is the increase in bass response very noticable in the 530s vs. the 210s? Even after breaking in my 210's I was highly unimpressed with the bass response (although everything else sounded great!). To me, it sounded like listening to a nice system with only an 8" subwoofer. My system at home has an M&K 350 sub (with dual 12" drivers) and I'm used to really, really deep bass (and I don't run my sub "hot"). I realize that you're not going to get the same thump from an earbud, but I can say that the level of bass output by the Bose TriPorts is more than satisfying to me. Also, while I could see myself eventually getting an amp, I'd like to judge them using only my iPod and no other customizations (beyond the EQ settings in my iPod).

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 21
you won't be disappointed with the SE530's. Best IME i've ever heard

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 21
I have a very different experience with the Image X10 than most people on here. I found them to be quite harsh. Mids and highs were too forward and they sounded bright. Bass was nice, however there was some slight distortion, which very slight, was still noticeable and affected the enjoyment.

SE530, aside from the slight treble roll off, they sounded a lot more balanced compared with the X10. Bass was tight, controlled, sometimes extending pretty deep and sounded nice. Mids were ok, certainly not as awesome as some people describe, but definitely not sucked out or recessed sounding. Overall, they sounded to me to be more pleasing and easier to listen to than the X10.

I also found the SE530 more comfortable since all of the included tips with the Image are oval and didn't fit my ears at all. Stupid design IMO. Perhaps with different tips I might have enjoyed the X10 more, but it's too late now cuz they're sold and gone. Though I have a feeling not. They seemed to have that Klipsch sound... comparable to their horn drivers.. which is an acquired taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back