Shure SE530's unforgiving regarding source??
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alysony

100+ Head-Fier
So far I've been testing out the 530's and they sound really good, they have a lot more bass response than say the 310's, however I've noticed something. Certain songs sound great (Hill Valley 2015 sounds spectacular and it is an itunes AAC purchase (the higher quality ones) while some of my 320kbps mp3's (notably techno I ripped using VBR using either lame or fronhoffer encoder seem to crackle a bit. I dunno if this normal, and I haven't had a chance to take full source (CD's LP's) to them yet. I was thinking it might be an eq issue, but even when I kicked down the volume I could hear a light crackle. so I stopped playing immediately and did tone sweeps. No crackle. So I'm at a bit of a loss here. The tone sweeps show the response is there, I just don't know where the crackle is coming from....has anyone else had this problem?

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Probably the song itself from being a victim of the Loudness Wars?

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 5
That is what I was thinking. I know most music made today is just loud. But some of the earlier stuff I have doesn't suffer, like earlier REM recordings. They kept pumping the gain and I guess the shure's only way of dealing with that is to well....crackle. Maybe I need to go back and re-encode all my music with the gain turned WAY down.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Once dynamics are compressed to few dbs lowering gain doesn't change anything.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Cause my first fear was, oh god I got counterfeit shures, but when I did the 20 to 200 sweep, I knew right then and there I had the real deal. Oh well maybe I should chose different music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back