Shure se530's, its been 2 weeks and I need more oomph
Jan 5, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #16 of 42
How's your fit? Are you sure you're getting a good seal? The SE530 bass is definitely not boomy, but it is very solid.

What DAP are you using?

In my opinion an amp won't help what you're describing. An amp will make a difference in sound quality if you are starting with a good source to begin with.

1) An imod requires an amp. Don't get one unless you plan to invest in an amp. The imod is just a modified ipod that improves the signal path from it's high quality dac to the line out. You'll need to connect an amp to the line out to get the benefit.

2) Although I love my imod/tomahawk combination, you should definitely consider a Pico or Predator with DAC if you listen a lot with a laptop or PC. It's killing me I can't afford one right now.

Maybe most importantly, what quality files are you starting with? Lossless? 128kbps mp3? If you're listening to low bitrate mp3 and plan to continue, don't get an imod or an amp or a pico. Stick with an Ipod or an Iaudio X5, rockbox it, and bump the bass with EQ.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #17 of 42
Shure SE530 is not bassy right out of box and if you want more bass from the SE530 then download SRS WOW SANDBOX software(free trial). It's setting change the sound on any DAP(it's tmprly takes place of the soundcard).

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears IEMS are known to have a good soundstage

I agree. I have both the pro and eb and also headroom airhead amp which seems to help my eb's much more..the bass may be too much for you but I enjoy it and the fun part is really the focal point of these phones...I had the E500 but unlike so many other satisfied posts, were not for me. I don't think there was any fault with the headphones, just an individual thing....

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #19 of 42
I used to have an iMod, and when I listened to it with my e500s, the sound was incredible. It had jaw-dropping soundstage and transparency, but my iMod broke around half a year ago so I'm left with my iMac as my source and it doesn't sound anywhere as good as my iMod did.
My recommendation is you get a really good source and amp for your e500s, and I don't recommend buying Xin amps though because I'm currently on my 10th month waiting for an amp. For your source, an iMod is probably the most practical if you want to spend the cash.

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not going to find any IEM that has a significantly greater bass presence than the E530, and they are among the better with regard to soundstage as well (although as mentioned no IEM really excels in this area.)

x2.

I think that soundstage may be improved by:

1) Better DAC, which is not your case.

2) Tube or hybrid amp. Some of them are portable, but all of them are out of your budget.

3) Headroom's Airhead. It has strange crossfeed, which enhances soundstage and give more weight to bass. So it works contrary to usual crossfeeds, which are known for narrowing soundstage and reducing bass. Airhead is $100 and you may return it, why not to try?

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 42
I've been using my se530 with a headsix for one week now and I feel the bass have more "impact" than right out of the ipod.

Might just be me though...

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 42
Thanks for all your suggestions, and the shure se530s are real good with bass, maybe they need more break in time. I bought them off someone here used with a new set of tips. Could it be that he damaged them? or it is working with only one woofer? If there is a way for shure to send me a replacement i would go through with it.

Honestly though i think its my source dac. Because i have tried the shures with a zune and i clearly heard the difference. I know i get a good fit, black foams, and i also know that my music is straight from the cd to apple lossless. It sucks now that i have to re rip everything i have, but its worth it.

I might just get some headphones and keep the iems for the road. I hated lugging around the bose triports, hey they were free
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone suggest a good pair of headphones that will surpass the shures in detail and soundstage? I dont really want to amp them but i guess eventually ill save to buy a usb dac amp. Or maybe I should just get some polk LSi9's, a sub, and a EL34 based vacuum tube amp?

Maybe someone would be so kind to meet up and show me how the shures sound when amp'd/imod?

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gokalper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone suggest a good pair of headphones that will surpass the shures in detail and soundstage? I dont really want to amp them but i guess eventually ill save to buy a usb dac amp. Or maybe I should just get some polk LSi9's, a sub, and a EL34 based vacuum tube amp?

Maybe someone would be so kind to meet up and show me how the shures sound when amp'd/imod?

I have the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi monitors which have a similar three-driver design and the sound stage is great for an IEM. I haven't heard the SE530's myself but I read plenty of reviews since I was debating between the two and a lot of people said the only flaw was a slight lack of detail due to the emphasis on bass.

The triple.fi's definitely don't lack detail, especially with stuff encoded at 256 or with lossless. Nothing sounds muted or rolled off at all and you really pick up on a lot more.

The bass is present but not overwhelming; basically whatever bass is in the music itself is what you hear so I don't know if that would be a problem. I can't help you out with the amp question I'm afraid, but I think it would be worth giving the triple.fi's a try just to get an idea of the different sound signature.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #25 of 42
I would suggest a pair of Beyer 770 but your going to need an amp to push them and that would put you over your $150 range limit. I have the se530's and use them for working out and when I am up and moving around. Once I am sitting I switch from the iTouch to the Hornet/iPod and my 770's.

For IEM's I would have to say these are the best I have heard having owned several pairs of custom molds and several Shure IEMs. Maybe what your looking for will only come from a much different setup...

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 42
The more i think about the more i am leaning to believe that the source dac is the issue. I'm sold on the idea of doing the imod, and getting an amp. I would prefer an amp with a good soundstage, yea iems have their limits but i want to find it, and some good bass at lower volumes. I can crank bass from the shures at higher volumes but i cant stand the mids at that level.

Any suggestions for an amp that can give me that punch and soundstage?

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Any suggestions for an amp that can give me that punch and soundstage?

Total Airhead or Bithead, if you still limit your budget $150.

Why nobody recommends UltimateEars Super.fi 5 EB, the most bassy IEM I know. Westone UM2 is also more bassy than Shure E530.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Thanks for all your suggestions, and the shure se530s are real good with bass, maybe they need more break in time. I bought them off someone here used with a new set of tips. Could it be that he damaged them? or it is working with only one woofer? If there is a way for shure to send me a replacement i would go through with it.

Honestly though i think its my source dac. Because i have tried the shures with a zune and i clearly heard the difference. I know i get a good fit, black foams, and i also know that my music is straight from the cd to apple lossless. It sucks now that i have to re rip everything i have, but its worth it.

I might just get some headphones and keep the iems for the road. I hated lugging around the bose triports, hey they were free
smily_headphones1.gif

Gokalper,

You haven't specifically mentioned it, but I assume you're using an Ipod? If so, what generation is it? Is it the new Classic?

- If it's a Classic, you can't and don't need to Imod it. I haven't heard this amp, but a number of opinions on Head-fi rate it very highly at it's price point: rockhopperaudio.com

- If it's an earlier 3, 4, 5g model you can try Rockbox firmware. I agree with Illidan, don't bother with the stock ipod EQ. However, the Rockbox EQ is fantastic. Also, it will play almost any format, FLAC (which I use exclusively), mp3, etc. You won't have to convert everything into Apple format.
Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

This would be an easy thing to do to play around with the sound before you buy an amp if you happen to have an earlier generation ipod.

Also, a good place to look for other headphone ideas if you end up deciding the SE530 isn't for you is here:
All Headphones - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

You might like something like the Grado SR225, if you don't need isolation and don't care if other people hear them.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back