Shure se530's: first impressions
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PittViper

New Head-Fier
for the past 1/2 hour, I have been listening to them both with cd's on a sony d-nf340 as the source, and also listening to mp3's on my laptop using winamp.

I am using the total airhead amp.

Here is what I can see so far.

The sound is much smoother than my denon ac551's, and the bass is smooth, not boomy but tighter. The highs are definitely more defined and pleasant, not as harsh as my denons. The bass is tight and accurate, but lacks the boom "fun".

These iem's are not burned in yet. I intend to put them on continuous play for about 40 hrs to burn them in. What can I expect to expeerience when the burn in is complete?

Also, I am using the foam pads that came already on the 530's. I haven't yet tried any of the other ear inserts. Advice here, as to which insert to use for the best sound would be greatly appreciated.

Well, just my .02...

Viper

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PittViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I expect to expeerience when the burn in is complete?

nothing, balanced armatures are known to not benifit from a burn in process, some people claim they can hear a difference but i personally think its a joke.

i think what you should do instead is burn in your ears with more listening time, this way you will have more time and experience with them so you can tell us what you love and hate about them.

i have them aswell and personally love them, i love the presentation, the smoothness of the sound, the quality of the bass and midrange with a blend of smooth highs is a special treat that imo gives the se530 some of the fullest sound on the IEM market.

but yeh dont waste time letting them burn in, instead train your ears with them to learn thier qualities and downfalls.

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 13
As said above just listen to them, they dont really burn in.

Try the grey silicon sleeves, they give a little more boom to the bass imo. When taking the sleeves off they are quite hard to remove, pull and twist them off, they are well on there.

Dave

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing, balanced armatures are known to not benifit from a burn in process, some people claim they can hear a difference but i personally think its a joke.

i think what you should do instead is burn in your ears with more listening time, this way you will have more time and experience with them so you can tell us what you love and hate about them.

i have them aswell and personally love them, i love the presentation, the smoothness of the sound, the quality of the bass and midrange with a blend of smooth highs is a special treat that imo gives the se530 some of the fullest sound on the IEM market.

but yeh dont waste time letting them burn in, instead train your ears with them to learn thier qualities and downfalls.

while what you said is pretty true in the first hour normally their will be a difference just from the headphones doing a initial loosening but after that there is no appreciable change

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 13
I am trying to remove the black foams that came on the shures, and you are right, they are ON there. I am trying the right ear, and I just can't get it off. I virtually destroyed the foam insert, and if the grey silicon works that will not be a problem. How do I get this thing off? I tried to pull and twist, but the foam is getting scrunched, and it is NOT coming off...

Please reply asap so I can figure out how to get these inserts off!

Thanks,

Viper

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while what you said is pretty true in the first hour normally their will be a difference just from the headphones doing a initial loosening but after that there is no appreciable change

i was told by guys at UE and shure that the balanced armature components loosening is such a quick process ( were talking seconds ) that this is the reason they say burn in does not happen, although burn in actually happens its only within a short time, and i was also told that the components are used and tested before being released for sale and during this time the components are fully tested and ''burned in''...hence, this would be why us as consumers dont actually burn the armatures in at all.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PittViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to remove the black foams that came on the shures, and you are right, they are ON there. I am trying the right ear, and I just can't get it off. I virtually destroyed the foam insert, and if the grey silicon works that will not be a problem. How do I get this thing off? I tried to pull and twist, but the foam is getting scrunched, and it is NOT coming off...

Please reply asap so I can figure out how to get these inserts off!

Thanks,

Viper

aslong as you twist and pull they will come off, shure should publish a demo with the phones in the book because i dont think they realise how good they have made the tip grip.

try to get you nails behind the foam and pull them over the barb grip,when you have them off you will see why they stay on so well and you will know your best way to get em off next time, good luck.
bigsmile_face.gif
ya may need it, DON'T TRY TO BEND THEM OFF. it sounds like common sence but there have been chumps on here snapping there earphone stems by bending the tips off, dont fall into the chump catagory.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aslong as you twist and pull they will come off, shure should publish a demo with the phones in the book because i dont think they realise how good they have made the tip grip.

try to get you nails behind the foam and pull them over the barb grip,when you have them off you will see why they stay on so well and you will know your best way to get em off next time, good luck.
bigsmile_face.gif
ya may need it, DON'T TRY TO BEND THEM OFF. it sounds like common sence but there have been chumps on here snapping there earphone stems by bending the tips off, dont fall into the chump catagory.

I had to use tweezers to get the stock pair off last night!

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Thoes foamys are hard to get off!

I head that the sound stage can be improved by using the 'black olive' foamies only half way on (just after that ridge). Can anyone else verify weather or not this helps?

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoes foamys are hard to get off!

I head that the sound stage can be improved by using the 'black olive' foamies only half way on (just after that ridge). Can anyone else verify weather or not this helps?

Even if it does help, you'll lose some bass.
popcorn.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RefreshMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it does help, you'll lose some bass.
popcorn.gif

That i can verify, you defiantly loose bass. Though that might not be a big deal depending on the genera being played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back