Shure SE530
May 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gillespie77

New Head-Fier
I have been a longtime Shure customer and have been satisfied with their
customer service until recently. I purchased a pair of SE530 several years back. I have learned that they have discontinued this product. That said, I cannot send it back to have it fixed (or replaced) without paying $250 for the current version.  Why would the customers take the hit when Shure discontinues a product? This will definitely make me think twice before purchasing another Shure product.

I currently have Westone 4. I am just not sure if I want to pay $250 for the new ones.

May 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
customer service until recently. I purchased a pair of SE530 several years back. I have learned that they have discontinued this product. That said, I cannot send it back to have it fixed (or replaced) without paying $250 for the current version.  Why would the customers take the hit when Shure discontinues a product? This will definitely make me think twice before purchasing another Shure product.

I currently have Westone 4. I am just not sure if I want to pay $250 for the new ones.

Isn't $250 for the SE535 a bargain?  After 7 years i don't know what you expect to be honest, they have served you very well for 7 long years, they are long out of warranty, unless you took out an extended warranty.  

Headphones and earphones have a hard life, especially those used for portable audio, cables, strain reliefs are put under huge stresses, then you have to think everything is so small and light, if IEMs and the cables were made to last can you imagine how unwieldly they would be?

May 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

It's not only because it's been discontinued. Shure's standard warrant is 2 years. It seems you have long exceeded that period, after which companies are free to charge you for repairs. The SE535's market price is $500 btw.

May 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
It's not only because it's been discontinued. Shure's standard warrant is 2 years. It seems you have long exceeded that period, after which companies are free to charge you for repairs. The SE535's market price is $500 btw.

I heard somewhere that Shure probably doesn't even have the 530s anymore, otherwise, they would offer the 530s for 250 instead of the 535s. 

May 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 8
If you want to keep the 530's you can always get them reshelled into customs.

Cheers

May 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I think the OPer wrote several years (not 7 years). I don't know if the 530s were even out 7 years ago. I know 7 or 8 years ago was when I bought the Shure E5c flagship model at the time (from Headroom).

Another option rather than paying the exchange fee to get the 535—is to have your 530 reshelled adding removable cables by another company altogether for, well, honestly; not much less than $240 (when you factor in impressions/shelling/shipping. I don't know. Maybe with DIY molds, you could save. Of course, that's assuming a cable short is the problem.

I lost my pristine sound when I got my 535 replaced a few weeks ago. Now, my “new” 535 sound ordinary. I would have advised (a few weeks ago) to send that $240 to Shure as fast as you can for the upgrade. Now, who knows? It might be worth it, --it might not.

I bought the 530 in (I believe) 2007. A few years later when I developed a short in the cable near the earpiece, Shure sent me the 535s. And as I mentioned above (a few months ago), the earpiece connection became very loose so they sent me a "new" pair of 535s (in a 6 day turnaround). I'm still operating off the one output of money back in 2007. I haven't been charged since.

Now, I'm considering sending my old E5c in (along with $240) for a yet another new pair of 535s. I'm hoping to get my 3D dynamic sound back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back