Shure (Se530) Warranty
Feb 7, 2008 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got one delivered today which I purchased from eBay for $304 shipped. I do not doubt a minute this is a genuine as they looked solid and sounds great. I am a long time owner of Sensaphonic 2x-s and decided to move onto triple drivers as 2x-s seems to crap out every 2 years. Sensaphinic charges $150 for repair per ear. That's a lot of money when you have to go through this every two years.

Anyway, I am a bit concerned because Shure may not honor 2 year warranty for those who purchased through eBay at discounted price. They even mentioned something about the eBay counterfeit and warranty void in their FAQ site. But then again, they suggested they may take the RMA for the phones which were bought from the resellers who got the phones from the authorized dealers/distributors. How do we know if the eBay resellers got the phones from the authorized distributors or not?? How do we prove this? Who's responsibility to prove this? This is so confusing?

Anyone dealt with Shure recently regarding the RMA for eBay purchases (bought as a brand new)?

Eventhough I bought one at a good price if there is no warranty for the phones, I am not sure if it was a bargain afterall.

It seems as though Shure is leaking their products through online sales channel like eBay, yet when it comes to liability they are opening an option for their advantage. What is even worst is that their policy is not crystal clear.

Any idea?

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 15
Well, it may be difficult for a company to control how it's products are being sold by individual sellers on Ebay etc. I would suggest you ask a Shure representative though this would have been more important before you made the purchase. Can the seller provide you with his proof of purchase? That might help.

Usually, the manufacturers need you to provide proof of purchase from an authorized seller to honor any warranty and I don't think it is very unfair to ask for that.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got one delivered today which I purchased from eBay for $304 shipped. I do not doubt a minute this is a genuine as they looked solid and sounds great. I am a long time owner of Sensaphonic 2x-s and decided to move onto triple drivers as 2x-s seems to crap out every 2 years. Sensaphinic charges $150 for repair per ear. That's a lot of money when you have to go through this every two years.

Anyway, I am a bit concerned because Shure may not honor 2 year warranty for those who purchased through eBay at discounted price. They even mentioned something about the eBay counterfeit and warranty void in their FAQ site. But then again, they suggested they may take the RMA for the phones which were bought from the resellers who got the phones from the authorized dealers/distributors. How do we know if the eBay resellers got the phones from the authorized distributors or not?? How do we prove this? Who's responsibility to prove this? This is so confusing?

Anyone dealt with Shure recently regarding the RMA for eBay purchases (bought as a brand new)?

Eventhough I bought one at a good price if there is no warranty for the phones, I am not sure if it was a bargain afterall.

It seems as though Shure is leaking their products through online sales channel like eBay, yet when it comes to liability they are opening an option for their advantage. What is even worst is that their policy is not crystal clear.

Any idea?

A lot will depend on who you bought them from on Ebay.. was it someone with an online store, or just an individual selling an 'almost new' pair (ie not in the sealed packaging, or just 'tried them; didn't need them' or 'new in sealed packaging' but being sold by an individual, so you have to wonder why they have such an expensive item to sell.. (a suspect for fakes.. even if they look and sound good)..

Shure will repair them 'out of warrantee' as well, for a flat fee.. so you are not completely out of luck. It might end up being what you would have paid through an 'authorized' retailer.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 15
BTW... I've seen E5's advertised online by an 'authorized dealer' for $349. Considering their MAP rules, I was surprised. If you bought through an ebay store, it might in fact be an authorized reseller!!
Flat rate repair is $145 from Shure in the US (from their web site)

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 15
I bought it from the eBay Titanium seller who has an online store with over 13K + rating scores. When you say flat rate fee of $145, does this apply to SE530? I also asked Shure if I am covered. Hopefully, I will get a positive response from Shure.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 15
I just went through this with Shure. I bought a pair of E500s new off of eBay and the left ear went out. I contacted them and could not get an answer as to whether or not they would fix them under warranty.

An "Incident" was opened and accessible on their web page. After about 2 weeks of back and forth, I was told to send them in - not knowing if they would be covered. I had submitted a copy of the eBay listing and my payment invoice. They replaced the E500s with SE530s.

-Pony

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought it from the eBay Titanium seller who has an online store with over 13K + rating scores. When you say flat rate fee of $145, does this apply to SE530? I also asked Shure if I am covered. Hopefully, I will get a positive response from Shure.

I can't seem to find it on their site right now but I believe that $145 is for the E5 not E500/530. If I remember correctly the flat rate replacement cost on the 500/530 series is $325.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 15
I am having this exact problem with Shure and their Australian authorised rep at the moment.

I bought a new, sealed pair of Shure E3s from a eBay seller in Australia just over a year ago. The nozzles have snapped off - the Shure website knowledge base advises that they will replace the product in the event that this happens under warranty (which for Shure products is 2 years).

I contacted the local authorised rep here and after asking for proof of purchase and the date code stamped on the headphone cable (I discarded the packaging so no longer have the serial number), they told me they did not offer warranty for items purchased from this seller.

It turns out that he's an authorised seller in Asia but not in Australia, and has been parallel importing products into Australia. I was told to contact the seller directly regarding my warranty issue and that was pretty much it. The limited warranty details for Shure (both on their website and on the little card included in the headphone package) don't mention anything about the warranty only applying to items purchased from an authorised seller.

The local Shure rep said that last time they checked, this seller was selling their products without warranty. This definitely was not the case (or I wasn't made aware of it) when I bought my E3s because I never would have bought them if that was the case. Although I've spoken with him before and know he's a nice guy, I don't expect that the seller will refund or replace the E3s after this length of the time.

So to get a refund/repair/replacement I've got a bit of a battle on my hands. I'm going to pursue it because I don't really see why I should be the person to lose out out of all the parties concerned. Local fair trading/consumer protection organisations here in Australia tend to rule against companies that try and prevent parallel importing, so I'm fairly sure I'll have a win on my hands eventually, though it might take a while. It's relatively inexpensive to have your case heard by a small claims tribunal here too - less than 10% of the cost of the headphones. The manufacturer can be held accountable for a warranty if the seller cannot too.

In the meantime I'll need to get something to replace my broken E3s. This was the second pair of E3s I'd owned, as I accidentally mangled the cable on my first pair and was such a fan I went out and bought another pair to replace them. It saddens me to say this but I'm reluctant to buy another product from Shure again, and probably will look at an alternative.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 15
I don't know, but I bought my shure E500's from J&R for $299.99 around August 2007. The price was that low only for a little while and shot up by 150 shortly afterwards. I guess it was a glitch.
biggrin.gif

The only other lucky thing that has happened to me recently was 3 Kitkat's falling out of a wending machine in place of one.
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Shure has not asked for proof of purchase for warrentee repair (split cable issue), and I have not offered any. The work just got done period. One of the best for customer service I've had to deal with. Do a search and you'll find multiple threads on this topic.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 15
anyone with experience from ebay's Deal Spot? Titanium sellers too... I'm contemplating but I wanna be sure as well.

Ronin, does that mean all you needed to do was register your product online and it was automatically covered? like apple products?

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone with experience from ebay's Deal Spot? Titanium sellers too... I'm contemplating but I wanna be sure as well.

Did you buy from them? I'm considering too. I'm in the UK and will likely get stung by customs as they say in their listing they will not declare a low value, but even if I do get hit it will still be cheaper by at least £50 (which is about $6,000 these days
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just went through this with Shure. I bought a pair of E500s new off of eBay and the left ear went out. I contacted them and could not get an answer as to whether or not they would fix them under warranty.

An "Incident" was opened and accessible on their web page. After about 2 weeks of back and forth, I was told to send them in - not knowing if they would be covered. I had submitted a copy of the eBay listing and my payment invoice. They replaced the E500s with SE530s.

-Pony

While I bought my E500s from a reputable Shure dealer, I've twice had to send them in because the right earphone either died or was so low in volume that I couldn't hear properly. Shure to their credit replaced them both times - this last one within a week of my sending them in and with the E530s (so I got the newest modelthis time). Shure has one of the best customer service departments around. So if you get them to say they'll service your phones - you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back