Shure SE530 vs Sleek Audio SA6 vs Triple Fi's - My little comparison
Aug 5, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

The se530's at least, are considered very muted and rolled off in the high register.

I think i'm understand where is misunderstod
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes! Sounds of 530 and 420 muted and listless (? i don't sure in word but...). But it's if you listenin musik w/o any changes in track
smily_headphones1.gif
But if you have musik with changes... like smooth back vocal and with argute string or cymbals sometime. So - in that cases i must or listenin vocal with very less volume or i'll lost my ear. Becouse such moments Shure play with very hight volume and very sharp. And what why i can't hear anything on Shure. Very very "unflat" sound.
*And i have a few ideas why many people say what Shure smooth. After my expirence i think they are loosing part of they hearing possibility with Shure...
smily_headphones1.gif
Joke
smily_headphones1.gif
And this s not subjective. It's real.
What about subjective - it's what i don't like shure painting sound. I hear many ear/headphones with sharp hi-freq. I have 2 AT and hear 2 another - all of them have a sharp sound. UE too. But it's balanced sound. It's more interesting sound (IMHO of course!!!) And i even don't try to tell you what shure bad becouse i don't like they sound.
No! I only can't understand - why people say what Shure smooth? It's not subjective. It's real - everybody can take track 44 from this folder: ftp://ftp.foxfocus.ru/Alan%20Parson%20Sound%20chek2/ and sure themselves. Shure have a big peak in hi-freaq part. Even def can hear it! And with all my respect to my opponent - it can't be a smooth and flat! May be Shure have a smooth sound in some parts of ..freq.. but i can hear it becouse i hear only this peak. Why you not hear it? Maybe my ear like bat ear?
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think so
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a idea. Lets make a experiment. We get few track and listening it on Shure and after that writing his expiriense there? I think in that cases we can say about same things and can understanding what trying say another
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 27
Spanish, lets get one thing straight. Nobody hears the same.
How you like the highs and lows of the SE530 can be totally different for someone else.
So if you don't like the SE530, that's okay.
But there is no use in trying to convince others to dislike the SE530.

So give it a rest..

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 27
Spanish, are you certain that your shures aren't counterfeit? No offense, but what you're describing with peaky highs is in line with what you'd expect to hear with a counterfeit product.

Considering how many fake shures there are out there, and how out of line your experience seems to be with the general consensus, you might want to look into this possibility.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 27
Spanish, I'd be more than happy to engage in your little experiment- should be fun!- if you want, however, parhelictriangle raises a good question and you may just wana confirm the legitimacy of your hps before spending the time doing it.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

parhelictriangle

Not possible i think. Three device with full kit. I don't think so. And before i try to use another 2 models - 310 and SCL3 - same things... I mean sound was very similar. Of course with some diffirence. May be all suply with 2 - 3 mounth differense was a fake. May be. But i think it's not possible... I know people who give me devices - they work only with legal partners. Of course it's not prove but...

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing that turns me off of trying the Shures is that they're reported to have even more bass than the TF10. I am not a bass head, at all. The sleeks sound like I have my full sized stereo and my computer speaker system tuned as far as bass goes, the TF10 (that I returned partly because of "overdone" bass) sounds like "someone else's stereo". I expect if I were to get the Shures I'd come to the same conclusion as I did when I compared TF10 & SA6 head to head. TF10 might win on clarity and separation, but it tied or failed on everything else. Unless the Shure avoid the "someone else's stereo" issue with the way bass is presented, I can't see myself chosing them over the Sleeks.

I had the same concerns about the bass on the shure's having owned the triple's but ti be honest i dont find the bass overwhelming at all wth the shure's.
I think that the bass response on the shure's is a bit more refined than on the triple's.

Of course i'm like everybody else in terms of that my ears may hear differently to others.

I think that all three of these iems are great buys that shouldnt disappoint, there are differences between them and maybe some will have to do what i've done over the years and work through all the different iems out there to find what suits them best!

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 27
I,too, found TF Pro bass to be "heavier" than SE530. Perhaps amplification has something to do with it but drums just sound more honest and true with SE530.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #23 of 27
Hey Everybody, Interesting little thread here. A friend of mine, who actually introduced me to audiophile quality stuff, owns a pair of Trip.Fi's and I own a pair of Shure Se530's. We spent a good deal of time comparing the two and comparing them to his new Ety 4S. From my personal comparisons, Spanish's comments seem more like the Trip. Fi's than the shures. In terms of resonance, I certainly feel that the Shures are at the top. I use them to listen to Van Morison, Marc Cohn, and a lot of other Blues/Jazz Cd's. The Shure's are about as dynamic as you can get. They carry notes and allow them to resonate through an incredibly large sound stage. The Trip.Fi's I find to be very analytical and harsh, so much so that I can only listen to them for a few minutes. I feel that they are meant for anyone who loves to hear every precise detail in the recording. Not that the Shure's aren't detailed, they are more forgiving (like natural ears).

As for sound coloring -get over it. All phones color the sound of anything and everything (read up about it in the latest issue on Stereophile magazine and their special on how to measure headphones). IMHO the Shure's provide a natural sound to the music, what I mean is as you go up the spectrum past the mids, the high's become quieter but do not loose their brilliance and sharpness. Think of playing a piano. As you move up and down, if you keep your strokes constant, you will notice different volumes. The Trip. Fi's color the sound to the point that the high's are pushed to you and so is the bass. I don't really think that the bass in the Trip. Fi's are greater than the Shures, I think they are Emphasized just as its high's are.

When we listen to music we are normally listening to the midrange, so my theory is that as you push the volume on your player, you use the midrange as your volume point. Since the mid's on the Trip. Fi's are lacking, you unintentionally increase the bass and high's to a point where the listening experience is well in your face -should you turn it down, you lose that middle section (ie. most of the music). Unless you are doing a lot analytical work on headphones this can get bothersome and problematic.

Subjectivity is the bane of modern science, but it is the healing salve for the human condition.

so I guess that means take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm certain others swear by their Triple Fi's just like my friend does (he often points out a person coughing in a recording). Just remember to listen to the music folks -see the forest not the tress or even worse the branches.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #25 of 27
The ER4s, are flat....

Put it simply from the three I've heard, I would say it is a compromise between both the Triple.Fi's and the Shures. It lacks the warmth of the Shures and lacks the High's from the Triple.Fi's.

From my impressions (through an ibasso Boa D2), the ER's were about as plain sounding as you could possibly get (vanilla). To be honest I can only describe the sound as what it's not. In other words, the bass isn't boomy its nice and tight but its not something I would write home about. The high's are as unforgiving as the Trip.Fi's its not as shrill. The mids resemble the high end in that they sound unnatural.

I guess that really doesn't help much. To be honest I took it off after 10 minutes sampling several songs, I just couldn't listen for longer than that. Its not like they were uncomfortable or anything (I'm used to triple flanges from the shures). My view on the ER's are that they are worth mentioning for folks who want to audition music, mix, and perhaps produce tracks -not for a casual listener. I can go on about the horrible non-musical aspects of the headphones, but to be honest the blandness and still unnatural sounding signature of the ER's prevent me from using them. But if you really, REALLY, want a neutral set of iem's and you want to know what's going on in your music tracks, pick one up -its super revealing. The only comparison I can really make is that they are like work, I may enjoy it cuz there's a nice little pay off. But the Shure's for me are like my hobbies, something I would gladly allow to take up most if not all of my time without needing anything in return.

Sorry. I'm nudging my friend to join Head-Fi, he plans to write reviews about the ER's and the Trip. Fi's along with the Cowon A2 and D2 with the Ibasso D2 in the future. My suggestion is to wait for his impressions on the ER's since he will use them for more than my 10 min audition.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #26 of 27
Interesting impressions pdupiano! As you've rightly pointed out, subjectivity is the name of the game, in large, but nice depiction of thoughts!

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Everybody, As for sound coloring -get over it. All phones color the sound of anything and everything (read up about it in the latest issue on Stereophile magazine and their special on how to measure headphones). IMHO the Shure's provide a natural sound to the music, what I mean is as you go up the spectrum past the mids, the high's become quieter but do not loose their brilliance and sharpness. Think of playing a piano. As you move up and down, if you keep your strokes constant, you will notice different volumes. The Trip. Fi's color the sound to the point that the high's are pushed to you and so is the bass. I don't really think that the bass in the Trip. Fi's are greater than the Shures, I think they are Emphasized just as its high's are.

When we listen to music we are normally listening to the midrange, so my theory is that as you push the volume on your player, you use the midrange as your volume point. Since the mid's on the Trip. Fi's are lacking, you unintentionally increase the bass and high's to a point where the listening experience is well in your face -should you turn it down, you lose that middle section (ie. most of the music). Unless you are doing a lot analytical work on headphones this can get bothersome and problematic.

Really nice post. I agree. Ironically, it is that forward bass and highs of TFPro that make the soundstage seem so large and exciting, whereas the more neutral (I'll even say accurate) presentation of SE530 makes some say they are boring or bland. I owned both at the same time and I never thought the TFPro had more detailed highs. In fact the dry and airy presentation of TFPro (annoying to me) made SE530 slightly brighter sounding and more natural. And as I have mentioned many times before here, drums slam harder (in a good way) with SE530.

I also agree with ER4 comments. Nicely put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back