Shure SE530 Sleeves Wrap-up
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
I know there has been a lot of threads about the tips/sleeves for the Shure SE530s, but I wanted to have an updated discussion about all the sleeves and have some updated opinions about which are the best ones.

Thanks to VoLTaG3's great thread, we have some great advice about how to improve the sound quality by purchasing and modifying sleeves.

I will be receiving the yellow foamies in a few days, so I cannot yet comment on those. But I did have a chance to try all the other sleeves, plus VoLTaG3's modified bi-flange tips.

I would say out of the three tips, it definitely comes down to the grey olives or the bi-flange tips. To me, the olives are the easiest to create a nice seal and are the most comfortable. The bi-flange tips I think do increase the sound quality of the highs and just overall make the sound just a tiny bit more clear. At the same time, it takes me around 10 seconds to get a good seal in my ears. Also, for some reason, these tips are just not comfortable for me. I constantly feel like something is digging into the sides of my ear-canal. At this point, comfort wins over quality. The grey olives just fit right in every time and are perfectly comfortable.

Once I get the yellow foamies, I can make a final judgement to which sleeves I like the best. I just wanted to get an updated opinion from you guys. What do you use now? What brings the best quality + comfort?

Thanks guys,
Gabe

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 7
what do u think about the black foamies?

May 27, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 7
I started using the black foamies yesterday and they sound better than the grey olives. The olives are easier to insert, but the seal with the black foam is better

May 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 7
"Grey" olive? Do we have such olives in existence?
wink.gif
Or did you mean the grey silicons or the black olives?

As for me, I've gone the custom sleeves route and am satisfied the most with its sound quality, fit and comfort. But out of the universals, probably the yellow foamies.

May 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 7
i like the triple flange sleeves without modification most.

It may not be the most comfortable, and seems to dig into ur ear canals.. but i feel that the highs and lows are in their own channel and the mids so much more refined.

just gotta get use to it though

May 27, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 7
I've tried them all and found the etymotic bi flange (no need to modify) to be the best with the SE530's.

Easy to clean, fast to insert, durable, great seal, great sound.

The olives offer a slightly better isolation but the cost is waiting 10 seconds for them to expand in each ear. Plus they need to be replaced and cleaned more often.

May 27, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 7
While I liked the Shure small black foamies with my E4s, I just couldn't get on with them with the 530s. The sound felt (in hearing terms
bigsmile_face.gif
) deadened.

Triple flanges with the stalk cut off (again excellent on the E4s) produced too much bass and lost some of the top end with the 530s.

Bi flanges (stalk still on but with top flange removed) sounded reasonable but I haven't tested them for long enough to make a decision.

I've settled on the Ety Black foamies which produce lovely mids and highs and feel balanced against the bass.

I would expect the yellow foamies to be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back