Shure SE530 rubber strain relief, fix?
Jul 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DJ AudioPhile

Banned
Hey, The right earpiece of my Shure SE530's is falling a part. The rubber wire strain relief has detached from the earphone itself and can freely move up and down the wire. I was wondering if you guys ever reattached it with some kind of glue? Or should I give Shure a call? I really don't want to send these in and go 3 weeks without quality music.
Arrrgghh!!!
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ AudioPhile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, The right earpiece of my Shure SE530's is falling a part. The rubber wire strain relief has detached from the earphone itself and can freely move up and down the wire. I was wondering if you guys ever reattached it with some kind of glue? Or should I give Shure a call? I really don't want to send these in and go 3 weeks without quality music.
Arrrgghh!!!
frown.gif

I had this happen on a pair of Klipsch X10's. The strain relief separated from the earphones. I glued mine with Krazy Glue (the kind with the brush). Then I took some acrylic nail polish base coat (Revlon 995), and coated the whole strain relief (on both ears to make them match). I didn't want krazy glue touching my skin.

It seems to work great so far.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this happen on a pair of Klipsch X10's. The strain relief separated from the earphones. I glued mine with Krazy Glue (the kind with the brush). Then I took some acrylic nail polish base coat (Revlon 995), and coated the whole strain relief (on both ears to make them match). I didn't want krazy glue touching my skin.

It seems to work great so far.

Mmmm. I think I might just pick up a crazy glue and give it a try.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Try using a heat gun and some heat shrink. It'll be easier than using crazy glue. Plus it'll give you a better end result.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try using a heat gun and some heat shrink. It'll be easier than using crazy glue. Plus it'll give you a better end result.

Heatgun next to a pair of $300 earphones.....
redface.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I recommend Loctite 406. That's what I used on my SE530's. I was going to use epoxy, but I spoke to a mechanical engineer and he came up with the recommendation without hesitation. It cures hours sooner than the epoxy I was going to use and it's designed to work on plastic and rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back