Shure SE530 or Westone 3?
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 48
I had both for about a year. Both of them sound good but in the end the Westone 3's fit almost like they were customs and I was able to hear nuances and details that I was not able to hear before. They helped me to rediscover songs. I just recently sold my SE530's.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #17 of 48
you may want to take advantage of a super new technology...........It's called the search function..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ne-3-a-396167/

And it gives conclusive results!
atsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 48
Yo!!! Just came back from trying both phones out. Listened to them both for over 1 hour.

I'll be honest. I've only used the apple earbuds and have never owned an IEM. My ears arent so discerning. But here's my impressions from today: SE530 is a tiny little bit more clear. I dont mean the lead vocals or lead instruments but the background instruments, like rhythm guitars. They sound a BIT clearer with the Shure. The W3 has a noticeably bigger bass, and them covering those little details may be the reason why the W3 is slightly less clear to me. I must listen more though, cos I'm not sure if I like the more fleshed out bass. So I told the store man my impressions, and he said well yeah, that's why the shure is better suited for classical and acoustic stuff while the W3 is more suited for rock.

Just my opinion though. Anyone else with similar experience?

I'm curious though. When people say lows and highs, what do they mean? I assume lows are things like bass riffs. I used Queen's Under Pressure for the intro bass riff. But what about highs? Are Mariah Carey's high notes counted as 'highs'?

These are the tracks I used for the test, all in Flac:
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen.
Queen - Under Pressure, Bohemian Rhapsody
Mariah Carey - We belong together

Those good enogh? Can anyone recommend me what tracks are useful for evaluating highs and lows? I'm going for another listening test tomorrow
atsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your problem? Just a D_BAG at heart?

The cross overs on the W3s ensure that all three drivers work independently, while on the SE530 (out for several years now) only fire the tweeter separately from the mid and woofer driver.

The SE530's have a tweeter and two woofers, not a midrange. So they only need 1 crossover. The W3 has a tweeter, midrange, and woofer. So they require two crossovers (for each change in frequency range). This is not a "better/worse" thing, but simply a design choice in engineering.

It is usually a fallacy to say "these are better because of <design choice>", especially when you don't have a job as an IEM design engineer, and therefore don't have a deep understanding of what it is you're talking about. As an end user, all you can really say is "these sound better to me".

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by raikoken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm curious though. When people say lows and highs, what do they mean? I assume lows are things like bass riffs. I used Queen's Under Pressure for the intro bass riff. But what about highs? Are Mariah Carey's high notes counted as 'highs'?

Rather than try to type out an explanation for this, here's a link to a frequency chart. It show all the instruments and what their ranges are. The highs are on the right and the lows are on the left:

Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather than try to type out an explanation for this, here's a link to a frequency chart. It show all the instruments and what their ranges are. The highs are on the right and the lows are on the left:

Quote:

Excellent posts & excellent link!!

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

What's your problem? Just a D_BAG at heart?

The cross overs on the W3s ensure that all three drivers work independently, while on the SE530 (out for several years now) only fire the tweeter separately from the mid and woofer driver.

You mention the UE11...at $1200, I would expect it to sound good.

AS NOTED, I listened to the SE530s for about a week before I jumped on the Westone 3s and the base (or lack thereof to my ears) was one of the discerning factors, not to mention the rolled off highs on the SE530.

Not sure what your problem is...but lighten the hell up!

nout wrong with me, i wasnt having a go so no im no D-BAG, however your consistently pointing out false facts about the technology, if you cared to put a little more research into it you would know the se530 does not actually have a midrange driver, the midrange is fed to the tweeter along with the highs and the bass uses the two other drivers, hence the twin dedicated bass drivers shure explains if you care to read.

your right about the W3 having three independent speakers but this does not mean it incorporates ''2'' crossovers per earpiece, it uses one per earpiece which is 3 way instead of 2 way.

again im not having a go but your blarting out information that is incorrect as if the W3 being three way is a deciding factor.

i mention the ue11 simply because you claimed westone 3 was using brand new technology not used before, i was again just pointing out its not brand new and has been done before.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

The SE530's have a tweeter and two woofers, not a midrange. So they only need 1 crossover. The W3 has a tweeter, midrange, and woofer. So they require two crossovers (for each change in frequency range). This is not a "better/worse" thing, but simply a design choice in engineering.

It is usually a fallacy to say "these are better because of <design choice>", especially when you don't have a job as an IEM design engineer, and therefore don't have a deep understanding of what it is you're talking about. As an end user, all you can really say is "these sound better to me".

again, the W3 uses 1 passive 3-way crossover per earpiece its just 3 way not 2 way.
honestly do you think they would cram 2 crossovers and 3 drivers with wiring in each earpiece, it would be a serious squeeze.

disclaimer: not having a go, just pointing out. peace brother

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again, the W3 uses 1 passive 3-way crossover per earpiece its just 3 way not 2 way.
honestly do you think they would cram 2 crossovers and 3 drivers with wiring in each earpiece, it would be a serious squeeze.

disclaimer: not having a go, just pointing out. peace brother

Makes sense. I was using the word "crossover" to mean "something which functions as a crossover", not necessarily something in it's own physical package. You could think of it as 1 3-way crossover, or as 3 crossovers (high/low pass filters) in the same physical package.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Makes sense. I was using the word "crossover" to mean "something which functions as a crossover", not necessarily something in it's own physical package. You could think of it as 1 3-way crossover, or as 3 crossovers (high/low pass filters) in the same physical package.

wink_face.gif
hey man, if you say so dude.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif
hey man, if you say so dude.

Based on your posts you did prove you are a D-Bag and Shure Fanboy...

3 independent drivers need an "effective" cross over for each one. I stand by my opinion of rolled off highs and poor base on the SE530s.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by raikoken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... the general consensus is that the SE530 is relatively more neutral and laid-back, while the W3 enhances the lows and highs, which people may or may not like?

It has poor mids though and also enhances the lows a little too much imo.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

3 independent drivers need an "effective" cross over for each one. I stand by my opinion of rolled off highs and poor base on the SE530s.

what posts? how have i even hinted at being a shure fanboy you idiot, all i was doing was correcting you when you said the W3 uses 2 crossovers ( as in actual crossover units/ PCB's etc ) how have i possibly offended you by just correcting you, i didnt in any way put the W3 down in any way so why hostility, your clearly the D-Bag you bent twerp.

EDIT: and why did you title your post as ''proved it''? when you have not proven jack, you said there was 2 crossovers in the W3 and there isnt so what have you proved, barley was actually acknowledging that ''IM'' correct at the beggining of his post by saying ''makes sence'' not you. barley was also explaining what ''he'' meant not you, you still believe the W3 had 2 crossovers and you clearly dont like being corrected. oh and one other thing... where did i dispute that you was wrong about the shures rolled off highs?? please do point that out, i again just argued against the shures having poor bass thats all because i believe like many others the bass is actually pretty full and large, sorry to have an opinion. I just tend to think that somebody saying the shures ''lack any real bass'' is talking out of their rear end, hasnt used them or had a fit problem, and in the same sentence you say the W3 is so much better it rivals ''your'' RS1's.

I mean what RS1's have you been listening to because they must be pretty damn poor if the bass can be compared to balanced armature earphones and the armatures are in the same league or better, oh yeh ofcourse your just hyping the westone's ofcourse, maybe the fanboy is you but im not childish enough to accuse you of such trash

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Having trialed both for a couple of days, I went with the Westone 3s and have never looked back.

The SE530s were nice, but lacked any real bass, but the Westone 3's base rivals my Grado RS1s.

The W3s are my favourite IEM by far. They also have new technology (3 drivers with 2 cross overs instead of 3 drivers and 1 cross over like the SE530s).

My two cents worth anyway.

again here it is you claiming the westone has 2 crossovers, all i did was correct you now lets get bk on topic and grow up, i get into too many arguements with fools on this damn website because i simply correct somebody, put somebody straight or vote in favour of my beloved shures lol

and again you saying the shure se530 is lacking any real bass. dude dont ''stand by your opinion'' and say its your two cents when you know damn well its untrue.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

We're supposed to take you seriously. What, are you 12 years old?

You are trying to discuss crossover terminology and think low frequencies have something to do with baseball.

It's spelled bass. If you want to be taken seriously you better think before you post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back