Shure SE530 not enough BASS!!!
Feb 5, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #16 of 28
Someone needs to make a belt-buckle personal sub-woofer for hardcore bassheads
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if SE530 has as much bass as IE7 then its great for bassheads dont u think?

no, the bass on the 530 is still better and never gets pushed towards the background like it can on the IE7 on the not so bassy tracks.

the IE7 has really really good bass but just the 530 has the best bass ive ever heard

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 28
Great advice guys. The fit wouldnt have been the problem as i have owned shures in the past and know exactly how to get the perfect fit to squeeze every bit of SQ out of them. The Bass of the SE530's is good and the quality of it is pretty good too, unlike what alot of people think there is just as much detail in bass notes as there is in mids and highs. Its just that the bass was overwhelmed by the very upfront mids and was left hanging far back in the soundscape, also i noticed on songs i knew very very well the bass notes were not as accurate as they should be.

So anyhow i just dived in today and feeling huge pain from my wallet (still not recovered from purchasing the shures) i bought the IE8's. and so far with only an hour or so of auditioning and burning them in i can say i am already alot happier with them, and not just in the bass department either, and im looking forward to only being able to expect more good things once ive put 100+ burnin hours on them.

The Bass is fulll and accurate and much to my surprise in no way distracts from the mids and highs, and now here is where i was really taken aback. The mids are just as lovely and present as the shures but in its own unique sound signature, i felt it was alot more natural than the shures and more pleasing and easy to enjoy, yeah i actually sat and enjoyed the sound letting it just wash over me. Shures were pretty good but i can tell already that these are just so much more me. not to mention i got my bass now lol, and i havnt even cranked the knob up yet :) ill post more impressions as i burn them in and take it all in

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after much waiting i got my SE530's yesterday and after 8hours of listening I am not overwhelmed as i was expecting. I have upgraded from cx300>e2c>SE530's. The bass is there, and it the note of it is accurate but its just not upfront and enough, it hides behind those lovely mids. maybe im not an armature driver type guy and need dynamic drivers? what would your recommendations be for me? im going to look into Sennheiser IE8's cause of that adjustable bass maybe they can be more suited to my bass preferences.

Im truly gutted cause i love the shures but just need that bass i can 'feel' but without clouding up the other frequencies. I would like to keep with the higher end phones hence IE8 as a possibility and not Superfi5EB etc

ohh and i could be open to a swap

Give it more break in time After running mine for 48 hours bass has shown up. Good luck..

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 28
He already got new headphones.... you might want to read the threads occasionally.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 28
The SE530 lacks low frequency sensitivity. There's some capability to EQ up low end response, but it takes SIGNIFICANT EQ boosting to raise up the bottom end. I don't think many of you want to put a +20dB boost at 30Hz to get it. The SE530 rolls off early and is quite down on sensitivity by the bottom end to provide any meaningful visceral information. From my testing, it's down already -3dB by 200Hz and -12dB by 50Hz. The visceral information really only starts below this point, so you would need massive EQing on the bottom end to get it. The two IEMs I've used that provide a near flat response down to the 20Hz-30Hz range you need to actually gain a visceral response is the IE8 and UM3X. The W3 apparently is quite good on the bottom end too. The TF10 can be with a sizable EQ bump on the bottom edge. From the top end universals I've used, the SE530 is the last choice I'd go with if low frequency bass was of any concern. The IE8 is the first I'd buy.

As for the bass knob on the IE8, this is mainly a variable Q adjustment, i.e. sealed enclosure to leaky enclosure (infinite baffle). It only affects frequencies below 100Hz. Everything from 100Hz on up remains the same. The bass bump with the IE8 centers at 100Hz at +4dB (my ears, my testing) and rolls off on both sides hitting 0dB at around 20Hz (bass knob full) and 800Hz. There is a slight midbass hump that exists and warms up the midrange sound. The knob does nothing to fix this. All the knob really does is cut out the bottom end and makes the low end anemic or not. I prefer not, so max is about the only useful setting. If you want the 100Hz bump removed, you EQ it out. Then the IE8 is almost ruler flat short a very slight rise in response on the top end (just +1dB, my ears, my testing).

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 28
I didn't notice this thread was a year old until I saw that VoLTaG3 had posted. I then proceeded to laugh at his defense of Shure and facepalm at the fact this was bumped.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Sony DAP with clear bass that will bring out the bass.

+1 on this. I wasn't impressed with the sound out of my Ipod. But this match is exceptional.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great advice guys. The fit wouldnt have been the problem as i have owned shures in the past and know exactly how to get the perfect fit to squeeze every bit of SQ out of them. The Bass of the SE530's is good and the quality of it is pretty good too, unlike what alot of people think there is just as much detail in bass notes as there is in mids and highs. Its just that the bass was overwhelmed by the very upfront mids and was left hanging far back in the soundscape, also i noticed on songs i knew very very well the bass notes were not as accurate as they should be.

So anyhow i just dived in today and feeling huge pain from my wallet (still not recovered from purchasing the shures) i bought the IE8's. and so far with only an hour or so of auditioning and burning them in i can say i am already alot happier with them, and not just in the bass department either, and im looking forward to only being able to expect more good things once ive put 100+ burnin hours on them.

The Bass is fulll and accurate and much to my surprise in no way distracts from the mids and highs, and now here is where i was really taken aback. The mids are just as lovely and present as the shures but in its own unique sound signature, i felt it was alot more natural than the shures and more pleasing and easy to enjoy, yeah i actually sat and enjoyed the sound letting it just wash over me. Shures were pretty good but i can tell already that these are just so much more me. not to mention i got my bass now lol, and i havnt even cranked the knob up yet :) ill post more impressions as i burn them in and take it all in

Nice choice. The IE8 is such an engaging phone. I would describe it as bassy but as you say, it doesn't get in the way of the mids and that lovely treble. I prefer its sound signature to the SE530. However, the SE530 does provide better noise attenuation, which I think makes it a more practical choice for commuting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back