Shure SE530 mods ... More treble ?
Feb 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

downsize

Member of the Trade
I thought searching for full sized cans was difficult .... until I started researching IEMs
confused_face.gif
It seems to me EVERY pair of IEMs I choose, has members saying perfectly contradictory things about. It is friggin maddening !
So I finally found a pair of IEMs that has received STELLAR professionsl reviews across the board, only to have headfiers bash them ... Monster Turbine.
Deciding I will NEVER be able to satisfy my needs with all the different opinions, I reverted to something I do know : Pro Audio
So the Shure SE530 is now in my sights and here's what I need to know;

Can ANYTHING be done to bring out the recessed highs ? Will my VERY extended and detailed P-51 Mustang amp help ? Are there any mods that help with this ?

Lastly, does ANY company convert the SE530 to custom molded IEMs ?

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 16
I am looking into putting my SE530's into custom molds as well. The two main options I have been looking at are Unique Melody and Fisher. Both of these companies have thier pros and cons. From what I have been reading is that UM has a higher quality but you have to pay more around 150usd and send them to China. While Fisher has quicker turn around times (located in Florida) and is cheaper around 80usd. I personally am leaning towards UM because of the higher quality. If you go the route of UM they are also able to add drivers to the SE530's. I haven't read many reviews on these but they offer a 6 driver configuration with a 3 way cross over and a 8 driver config. with a 4 way crossover. You also have the choice of choosing a single or duel bore. I hope this helps

Sam

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 16
UniqueMelody (UM) does custom molding of the SE530 and can even add extra drivers which brings out the highs and retains their famous mids. MaoDi has these (I believe) and they're supposed to be amazing.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought searching for full sized cans was difficult .... until I started researching IEMs
confused_face.gif
It seems to me EVERY pair of IEMs I choose, has members saying perfectly contradictory things about. It is friggin maddening !
So I finally found a pair of IEMs that has received STELLAR professionsl reviews across the board, only to have headfiers bash them ... Monster Turbine.
Deciding I will NEVER be able to satisfy my needs with all the different opinions, I reverted to something I do know : Pro Audio
So the Shure SE530 is now in my sights and here's what I need to know;

Can ANYTHING be done to bring out the recessed highs ? Will my VERY extended and detailed P-51 Mustang amp help ? Are there any mods that help with this ?

Lastly, does ANY company convert the SE530 to custom molded IEMs ?

If you are coming from Turbine then you will appericiate the great extention of SE530 in highs. Try SE530 with Cowon D2 if you want more highs and P51 will improve the details and body of whole frequency spectrum.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 16
well with any earphone esp universal you definitely are not going to have everyone agree about it. its just about every single one. some love it, some hate it. even if they are good earphones people have different tastes so wont all agree. also i think its a bit harder with earphones since the fit is so particular compared to headphones.

UM and Fisher are the only ones I know of that do remold. UM56 should fit should you want custom tips.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for. Seems the UM custom 530s with added driver is the way to go .... Too bad pricing for that is not on their website.

Just email them. I think it's about $400 total.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 16
I personally found my UM3X got better high after using sony hybrid eartips on them…. I’m sure UM3x and shure530 has similar eartips as I was using shure530 triple flange on my UM3x not too long ago.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 16
There used to be an EXTREMELY annoying punk kid on this forum (Voltag3 I think...
smily_headphones1.gif
) He used to constantly spew a claim to people that he increased the treble of his 530's buy altering the tri flange tips. Personally, I think he was full of sh** but maybe give it a try? This kid was the BIGGEST shure fanboy I've ever come across, and he talked alot of bs, but I'd try that before paying to have a driver added to the 530s. (search his username, I'm sure you'll find it).

Honestly, I'm not real crazy about someone other than the manufacturer trying to artificially add treble by adding extra drivers (just my opinion)...

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 16
I agree that it's very tough to decide on buying an IEM based on reviews alone. Unfortunately, you'll have to experiment a little for yourself.

But, it's not all bad, since you can use it as a learning experience and find out what's important to you in an earphone. Experimenting will also give you a much better idea of what other people here have tastes that are similar to yours. Say that you like bass, and a lot of other people here do as well, but for totally different reasons... now you really know which people have similar tastes, and you can plot your own tastes along theirs.

Eh, sorry I can't answer your question more directly. I don't have experience listening to Shures.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 16
i currently have shure SE530s being remolded at UM.

I never had a problem with the highs- and an important thing to note about the shures is that they equalise extremely well. With a bit of toggling you can greatly improve the sound.

When users describe the Shure's as recessed, i have found it is only in comparison to the UE TripleFis which have amazing treble.

I was so entirely satisfied with the sound that I am not adding in any drivers or any mods during the remold.

Then again, each to their own, i am sure there will be many users which disagree with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back