Shure SE530 impressions
Aug 23, 2008 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lewislink

Banned
I finally received a set of the SE530s and am giving them a hear. Initial impressions are very good but seem to trail behind the Triple fi-10 Pros in soundstage and clarity. They do sound outstanding, nonetheless. They have great balance but there's some muddiness in the stream which I'll comment on after a long tryout.

They are paired to:

Meizu M6 miniPlayer Slim (currently) using uncompressed WAV files
Ray Samuels Hornet non-M version currently at "High" gain setting
Generic interconnect
and I'm using Comply type "P" Standard foams
I've altered the gain setting of the Hornet from "low" to "High" after plugging straight into the source and the volume increasing considerable.

033.jpg

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 10
UPDATE

I'm currently using these 530s with the D2 and the difference is finally apparent. The sound I'm getting with these 530s through the D2 is outstanding, accurate and very refined. The D2 is loaded with uncompressed WAV files. This says a lot about the refinement of these Shure 530s as well. It took these to hear significant increase in quality of the audio signal from the D2.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 10
You should definitely use the low, or at most, the medium setting on your Honet. Otherwise you have very little latitude in volume options.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 10
The longer I own mine the more I like them. Even the temptation to upgrade to the UE-11's is lifting
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 10
I just got mine, and boy they go well with my Corda Move.
Straight out of my iPod they sound very nice, but the Move kind of adds a dimension to it!

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should definitely use the low, or at most, the medium setting on your Honet. Otherwise you have very little latitude in volume options.

Yeah, I agree. I worked that out with the seller. I had a hard time, with the Hornet set to low gain, with the volume increasing when I disconnected the amp and ran straight from the player. It's a complex thing to understand but the seller helped me understand what was happening. I now run the Hornet in low gain setting and the planet has peace...erm..um..well, maybe not the whole planet...lol
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATE

I'm currently using these 530s with the D2 and the difference is finally apparent. The sound I'm getting with these 530s through the D2 is outstanding, accurate and very refined. The D2 is loaded with uncompressed WAV files. This says a lot about the refinement of these Shure 530s as well. It took these to hear significant increase in quality of the audio signal from the D2.

You won't lose any quality by compressing the wav to flac because it's lossless.
beerchug.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by VanQuish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't lose any quality by compressing the wav to flac because it's lossless.
beerchug.gif

I agree but I generally like to convert to a format that as many of my players as possible can use. There's a few of them that won't do FLAC, my iriver E10s won't do FLAC and a couple others, but the irivers threw me for a loop when I converted my whole current library to FLAC, loaded said FLAC files on one of my E10s and it didn't detect it. I'm actually in the process of doing some WMA Lossless.

EDIT

Ooops, that would be WAV files, I believe, that the E10 wouldn't do. There are a number of my players, though, that won't do FLAC.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 10
For what it's worth, I own the ES420 and I'm enthusiastic about it.

Before purchasing I was in between two models: the UE 5pro and the Shure ES420. Not comparable in my opinion, don't know how people can say that the UE are better than the Shure...Same audio source (AAC 320kbps 48.1Khz, same player (ipod nano 1st gen), same songs (Kings of Leon - Because of the times - Charmer). The UE's bass was too powerful, was more of a subwoofer, and, but this is personal taste, it doesn't suit me. I'd rather much prefer the sound of the bass on the Shure, more defined and 'sharp' but still pretty powerful. It's a bit like comparing a home theatre kit with satellites and subwoofer etc (UE) to a splendid couple of Polk Audio's (Shure). The world is beautiful because people are different, so definitely Shure for me.

I guess the 530 are even better than the 420! So sit back and enjoy the percussions and drums! Seems like a concert each time I listed to the tiny iPod!
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back