Shure se530:e-bay?
Aug 16, 2008 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Qwerty Sound

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Just need to ask. Are the se530's on e-bay fake or real? I mean the price(AROUND US $ 320) is just so cheap compared to the ones in store (abt US $500). It's been months i've been considering on buying one but i have doubts about it being original or fakes, so i've finally turned on to the Head-Fi groups for answers.

Below are two e-bay powersellers that sell the se530( I'll buy from either one of them):

Help me indicate if either one of them are fakes or reals.

SHURE SE530-PTH SOUND ISOLATING EARPHONES SE530PTH 530 - eBay (item 300248666872 end time Aug-10-08 21:40:04 PDT)

And

SHURE SE530PTH SOUND ISOLATING EARPHONE SE-530 PTH NEW - eBay (item 200245393706 end time Aug-18-08 19:31:05 PDT)

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 21
Powerseller isn't always an indication that they are real but usually fakes are limited to lower level items. They sell lower because otherwise they probably wouldn't get any buyers compared to authorized sellers. Also you don't get a warranty most of the time because most of them are not authorized. You can get squaretrade warranties for relatively cheap but I don't know how they handle IEMs (probably just refund your item's purchase price).

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 21
very informative post don_lee

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 21
Do people who sell fakes advertise them as New and Factory Sealed? What recourse do buyers have on eBay when sellers sell something that is not as advertised?

Regardless, I am confident those are the real deal. Many people have purchased these IEMs on eBay for cheaper than that price w/o issue. Also, I think the seller having a good reputation does lend confidence that this isn't a scam.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 21
For me, Ebay is way to risky for expensive easy to copy items like IEM. And if you don't get a warranty on these items, you can't turn to Shure to fix them free.

BT

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 21
If you buy them from eBay and they break, Shure will charge $150 for out of warranty replacement.

I bought mine over eBay last year and they broke this summer (the well known cable problem on older models). I got a workaround for a warranty replacement and didn't have to pay $150 for it.

As other said, eBay have protections for items who are not as described so if they're fakes you can get back to the seller.

For the seller feedback, you should check when the seller first sold on eBay, check for negative feedback, check for mutually redrawn feedback and neutral ones. For that, have a look here : Toolhaus.org

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 21
Like AudioDwebe says, check out headroom. Its basically a few bucks more than what you'd pay from ebay and you will receive the customer support and warranty that you want and need in case something happens. On the plus side, nothing has come up yet about fake se530's, and from other posts, it seems that shure fakes are easily recognizible (but most of those are the 110 and 210 models).

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] check out headroom. Its basically a few bucks more than what you'd pay from ebay [...]

Quite a few bucks, it would appear. Headroom's price on those is $499, which is $179 more than the eBay price the OP described.

Of course, as you point out, that 50% premium does buy you peace of mind regarding the warranty.

Edit: well, Headroom says to call for their price. Can you get a better deal than that $499 from them?

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 21
Personally, I bought my se530s from eBay for $247 and I don't regret it one bit. If you are scared by eBay, you can buy from amazon, which is an authorized dealer (I think) for as low as 300.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite a few bucks, it would appear. Headroom's price on those is $499, which is $179 more than the eBay price the OP described.

Of course, as you point out, that 50% premium does buy you peace of mind regarding the warranty.

Edit: well, Headroom says to call for their price. Can you get a better deal than that $499 from them?

call or e-mail them. just do it. won't say anything else. that's what i did though. i sleep very well at night.

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 21
yup mate you gotta shoot an email. They respond pretty quick. At the moment, as Sambo60 points out, amazon is another choice at 360+, but I still encourage you send an email to headroom. You'll be glad you did later. Sambo60 is also correct about the 247 as being the lowest I've seen at the moment, but my friend's 1 month old UE's wires were ripped off from the drivers (he was trying to unplug the wire like you normally would and the plug came off..... along with the wires to the drivers). I'm sorry but I can't forget that, and I don't think I ever will. At this point its manufacturers only for me. The way I figure it, 247 + 150 > headroom price....

But then I tend to worry even when I take care of my equipment, hell I wipe down my shures everynight with disinfectant and coil the chords in the original impressions they came in.

good luck though,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back