Shure SE530 compared to UM1
May 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Westone UM1's and really like them. I just found out I can get the Shure's for $250 shipped brand new through are company partner. This seems like a good deal. I have been eyeing the Etymotic ER4 for a month and a half. So for the people that own the SE530's just how good are they? I'm assuming they should be better then the Ety's "Triple Driver" am I correct ? I had planned on pulling the trigger on the Ety's today until I found out the price on the Shures. Thanks

Main use= Macbook "320KBS Music/ DVD Movies"

May 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the Westone UM1's and really like them. I just found out I can get the Shure's for $250 shipped brand new through are company partner. This seems like a good deal. I have been eyeing the Etymotic ER4 for a month and a half. So for the people that own the SE530's just how good are they? I'm assuming they should be better then the Ety's "Triple Driver" am I correct ? I had planned on pulling the trigger on the Ety's today until I found out the price on the Shures. Thanks

Main use= Macbook "320KBS Music/ DVD Movies"

1. Etymotic's products all have only one driver...
  2. Etymotic is a far departure from the UM1's sound signature; it is galaxies more analytical in nature, light punching lows, and sparkling highs.
  3. If you like the "heavy" sound of the UM1, I'm sure you'll like the Shure E500/SE530

May 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 9
yeh id say the shures are the um1 but improved in every possible way you should enjoy them, the er4's are also much better but its in the opposite direction, if you enjoy the um1 you may feel a little let down in some compartments of the er4's and they may sound a step backwards in some ways, such as bass, its certainly a love it or hate it with the ety's, if you like bass in your music the shures are certainly more likely to raise a smile
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 9
The price sounds good, but note that Shure claims they will not warranty items purchased from a non-authorized Shure dealer. Considering the price, I doubt they are an authorized dealer.

Factor that into your calculations.

-john

May 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok guys I pulled the trigger and ordered the Shure's. They are a dealer so they honor the warranty. These are my first multi driver iem's period. My nicest set before was the E4c's. I liked those but thought they were missing something just didn't no what. Should have them monday-tuesday.

PS: The price is our cost through are company hence the discount. THx

May 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfoodog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price sounds good, but note that Shure claims they will not warranty items purchased from a non-authorized Shure dealer. Considering the price, I doubt they are an authorized dealer.

Factor that into your calculations.

-john

I remember last summer Sugarfiend (spelling?) the Shure rep here, said that thye would honor the warranty no matter where they were purchased.

May 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember last summer Sugarfiend (spelling?) the Shure rep here, said that thye would honor the warranty no matter where they were purchased.

While I suspect they may, it isn't what their web site says. From that perspective, I wouldn't bank on it. Yes, they might, but they might not.

Mr. 56k, good to hear they are an authorized dealer. Great price. I think I paid about $500 for mine! Enjoy!

-john

May 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sugarfried.

Good guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back