Shure SE530 : Are they a "fun" IEM?
May 22, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #16 of 21
They're a fantastic IEM if you dont mind the cable breaking on you :s

May 22, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 21
ClieOS's old review sums up the SE530 well:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...2-08-a-335851/

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does SE530 sounds good? I guess the answer is 'Yes'. Does it sound better than TF10? My instinct tells me 'No'. The reason is, SE530 sounds so 'conservative' (if you can describe it that way) that it lacks surprise of any kind. It seems to have a very solid sound characteristic but the lack of spark always leaves me wanting for more. I guess most people will find SE530's sound pretty easy going, but I think I'll prefer a sound that carries more excitement in it. Perhaps I am just not too fond of Shure's house sound? One thing that worths noticing is, despite the fact that most IEM sound very 'intimate' (that is, not resembling a big can), SE530 does carry a more or less 'big can' feel in its sound character. On extra note, SE530 could easily be the most comfortable IEM in the batch, but I just wish Shure could include memory wire on the cable which would have made wearing it a lot more easier.

May 22, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 21
After having the SE530 and TF10Pro for more than 12 months, I am sure SE530 sounds better if matching it with a good amp like RSA Tomahawk. It sounds much better than many more expensive or higher end combo, only you have to give the Tomahawk fully burn-in for hundreds hours. The TF10 Pro sound muddy in mid, and the treble is not well-extended. All criticizes of SE530 are not true, my experience indicates which are caused by mis-matching. With Tomahawk, there is none of any roll off in treble, the mid is transparent (not the best, but well enough in most cases), the bass is well defined.

Regard compare with lower end Shure IEM, SE530 can stand out clearly.

Remark: Ray was using SE530 as reference to design the Tomahawk, it is a guarantee.

May 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having the SE530 and TF10Pro for more than 12 months, I am sure SE530 sounds better if matching it with a good amp like RSA Tomahawk. It sounds much better than many more expensive or higher end combo, only you have to give the Tomahawk fully burn-in for hundreds hours. The TF10 Pro sound muddy in mid, and the treble is not well-extended. All criticizes of SE530 are not true, my experience indicates which are caused by mis-matching. With Tomahawk, there is none of any roll off in treble, the mid is transparent (not the best, but well enough in most cases), the bass is well defined.

Regard compare with lower end Shure IEM, SE530 can stand out clearly.

Remark: Ray was using SE530 as reference to design the Tomahawk, it is a guarantee.

Also a simple mod like mines greatly balances out the Shure SE530's frequency response. If you don't have a RSA Tomahawk or EQ handy. What people honestly don't know is that the other top IEM's are not better than the Shure SE530's. It's simply a different preference. The 2 downsides the Shure SE530's has that earns it bad revies are:
  1. The foam tips dull the highs further and constrain the soundstage.
  2. The Shure SE530's are too source dependent.

May 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're a fantastic IEM if you dont mind the cable breaking on you :s

I believe Shure has now fixed the issues with the SE530 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back