Shure SE530 alternatives
Oct 30, 2007 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

skip

Head-Fier
Ok ... after my 5th pair of SE530's cable splitting I am now looking for an alternative - I've had enough.

For those of you who have heard the SE530's but are now listening to something else, can you tell what you're listening with now?

Money is not a problem, the only thing that's difficult for me is getting customs made so I'd rather just get something off the shelf.

I'm not necessarily after the same audio signature but something that is kind of close in terms of detail. I listen to all sorts of music through my ipod touch without an amp.

How do the Triple Fi's compare, or even the B&O? Anything else?

Cheers,

Skip

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 20
If you weren't really lovey dovey with the Shure sound, maybe you would like some Etymotics!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Then again, maybe not
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 20
I used to own the Triple-Fi till I sold them off to get the SE530. The se530 has better midrange than the triple-fi. Soundstage wise I also feel that the se530 wins.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushwacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the Triple-Fi till I sold them off to get the SE530. The se530 has better midrange than the triple-fi. Soundstage wise I also feel that the se530 wins.

Thanks for the reply but getting another pair of SE530is not an option - the cable is just no good for me. 5 failed pairs is not good enough as far as i'm concerned. Maybe they are allergic to me.

I'm after an alternative.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 20
UM2 if you want something similar to the E530s.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 20
I'm not a big earphone person (they start to feel weird to me after awhile), but a friend of mine replaced E500PTHs (old name for SE530) for Triple.Fi 10 PRO and I listened to both of them quite a bit. I found the Triple.Fis much better sounding to my ear. I thought the mids were more lush, full-sounding and there seemed to be better separation between instruments, more soundstage, that sort of thing on the Triple.Fis. My friend agreed and has stuck with them.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok ... after my 5th pair of SE530's cable splitting I am now looking for an alternative - I've had enough.

Just PM u.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 20
From what I read the Tri.Fri's don't have as much bottom end as the se530s but have more detail up top than the se530s. I believe they still maintain a warm presence though. Almost every post that I ran across regarding unsatisfied se530's owners either went with the er-4s if they wanted the best in highs and detail or the tri.fi 10's if they wanted the bass with better highs than the se530s.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 20
Off the shelf? That caliber? Probable Triple Fi is the only other option (or an ER-4S perfectly amped) until maybe Westone 3 comes out.

Triple Fi's have not been that popular because they are somewhat bulky compared to the Shures and could be a tougher fit. Soundwise many people enjoy them better than the Shures. The soundstage seems larger (vertical as well as horizontal), they are certainly more detailed in the treble area and the bass is arguably better. The Shures slam the bass harder but the TFP's are very detailed in the bottom end. They sound quite bit different from one another. It's a personal preference thing.

I personally was tiring of the Shures with so many of today's hot mastered boomy cd recordings. The bass just seems to overwhelm everything (one could argue E4 is better with these recordings) but with a good recording the Shures sound mighty fine! My 0.02

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 if you want something similar to the E530s.

Well, the UM2s are a step down IMO. I heard that they are basically a copy of Shure E5. They do have a similar midrange to the SE530, but it's not as natural sounding and detailed, and the bass is boomy and 'loose' compared to the SE530. The biggest problem that I found with Westone UM2s though are the highs. I think the high frequencies on the UM2s get cut off way too early, wheres the Shures have a rolled off, but well extended top end. Thus the UM2 sound very dark to me, which actually makes the listener focus a lot on that good mids that they have, which some people may like. I would take the Shures over the Westones any day though, even considering the price difference.

Personally, I would recommend trying the UE Triple.fi or waiting for the Westone UM3 to replace the SE530. An even better option would be to save up money for those killer UE-10/UE-11s though.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read the Tri.Fri's don't have as much bottom end as the se530s but have more detail up top than the se530s. I believe they still maintain a warm presence though. Almost every post that I ran across regarding unsatisfied se530's owners either went with the er-4s if they wanted the best in highs and detail or the tri.fi 10's if they wanted the bass with better highs than the se530s.

Where did you read that? I think the Shures have very good detail in the highs too, but the Triple.fis have a more extended top end (see headphone.com graphs).

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Instead of swinging between any other universal IEMs I would definately advice you to go custom... livewires with it very good
price option seems to be a good place to start. I will definately be better than any other universal IEMs you could choose.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 20
Triple Fi 10 with bass boost.??
biggrin.gif
ahhaha!! i tried them with my Sony a818, and it really is fun, though it is just me.. the clear bass stuff really works great for me..
tongue.gif
you might want to try it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back