Shure SE425 sound terrible?
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #31 of 59
I can totally related with the OP's opinion about the SE425. I got mine a couple years from Shure for a good price when I sent my old E4C in for replacement. From the day I got the SE425, I found them lacking in bass, thin sounding, grainy in sound, and generally awful. I searched onlined and found many people giving them glowing reviews, when truly baffled me.

Since they, I've owned many other pairs of IEMs ranging in price from $25 to $1000 and they all sound better than the SE425. I periodically try them again, and give them a chance for my ears to adjust, but I always come back to the same conclusions. They must be the worst value in IEMs.

Worst value is the SE846. I think my IE80 sounded better.

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #32 of 59
I’m so confused!

I just got a pair direct from Amazon and they feel even more unbalanced and dead. Perhaps they’re not broken and the sound just isn’t for me? Using an iPod Classic they really were so sad compared to my se215.

Switching to an AKJR they are the same. Fast, yes but it almost feels like the right channel has more dynamics. Anyway, I’m sad about this as I was really looking forward to them. Perhaps they are defective?
If they are not for you return them while you can. Save up and if you want to stay with shure brand then check out 535 or 846. Apparently the 215 were tuned with 535 in mind. The 425 are extremely flat and boring and they are 2 BA drivers vs the 215 which uses dynamic so 215 will have more energy more oomph. I have the 535 and really love them. Great durable and I use them on bike rides and in the gym. But theyre midcentric. The 846 has more body, detail and people really like those. I personally am a big fan of shure but there are better iem out there. Empire ears, campfire audio. Cant go wrong with either

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #33 of 59
I still think the sound signature of the Shure SE425 (mid-centric) is a great addition to any IEM collection! The sound is very non-fatiguing. I have a Campfire Orion for that. It's great for doing something else (ex: browsing) while having it in the background. I have other IEMs for warmth, bassy, balanced, etc. Probably not the best choice for a first IEM though (you might want something more energetic, ex: balanced or bassy for that).

Also, these types of signature happen to be (imo) the best for watching/listening Twitch streams, broadcasts, podcasts, YouTube, movies, TV shows, etc. because of their focus on vocals.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #35 of 59
Thanks all! I’m in awe of how much amazing sound the se215 get with my iPod Classic for just 100 bucks. Isolation is amazing etc.

So to pair with the AKJR would anyone recommend a set of iems in the same price range as the se425? I honestly think my pair are defective and I will be returning them. Channel imbalance and lack of clarity. Just unacceptable for the price point.

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 59
If they are not for you return them while you can. Save up and if you want to stay with shure brand then check out 535 or 846. Apparently the 215 were tuned with 535 in mind. The 425 are extremely flat and boring and they are 2 BA drivers vs the 215 which uses dynamic so 215 will have more energy more oomph. I have the 535 and really love them. Great durable and I use them on bike rides and in the gym. But theyre midcentric. The 846 has more body, detail and people really like those. I personally am a big fan of shure but there are better iem out there. Empire ears, campfire audio. Cant go wrong with either
I’m about to pickup the 535. Are they actually more aligned with the 215 sound signature, I think terms of dynamics? I’m a big fan of Jazz / Beatles / Orchestral and 70’s soul. Would these be ideal? I love the 215 for this but I want to take the next step up with the Shire line (isolation being key!)

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #39 of 59
SE535 should be an adequate upgrade for SE215 while SE315 and SE425 are having different sound signature. I tried the limited edition SE535, it is nice :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #40 of 59
I have two iems. Empire ears legend x and shure 535. I really love them and how they portray vocals. Are you travelling anytime soon? In your airport you can try them out before you buy. Theyre still midcentric with treble roll off.

Its been a while since I heard the 215 but definitely a big upgrade, a more audiophile taste imo.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #42 of 59
I have two iems. Empire ears legend x and shure 535. I really love them and how they portray vocals. Are you travelling anytime soon? In your airport you can try them out before you buy. Theyre still midcentric with treble roll off.

Its been a while since I heard the 215 but definitely a big upgrade, a more audiophile taste imo.
I am in Seoul at the moment. So not sure if the airport is there but I may be able to check out the local shops. Time is limited though.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #43 of 59
I am in Seoul at the moment. So not sure if the airport is there but I may be able to check out the local shops. Time is limited though.
So checked out Earphone shop for about 45 mins. Was able to audition the se535 with my AK JR. Didn’t have the same size tips I use but the seal was decent. A lot less bass and dynamism but really subtle details shone through. Does anything change with the perfect seal? Or do these IEMs not handle rock well? Is it better saving up for the se846?

THanks for the help, all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back