Shure SE420...Now thats more like it!
Aug 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
Well after my overall disappointment of the superfi 5 pro for my music,i was itching to get a really good iem that suited me.
Dont get me wrong the 5pros are a smashing phone but after a few days of comparing them to my 3 studios they really dont sound much different to me,and certainly are not worth double the price.
So my eye had wandered towards another shure as i had the E210 but wanted something more clear and fuller sounding.
I had the opportunity to try the 530's which i found to have too much bass which seemed very boomy to me,and didn't suit me or my rock orientated music.
So the next logical step was the 420.
I thought about it for a day or so and just took the plunge,and i'm so glad i did.
This is exactly what i was looking for.
Every part of the sound is wonderful,bass is not as boomy as the 530 but its there and nicely controlled.
Mids of which as a rule i tend to prefer slightly recessed are the opposite,they are very forward which i didn't think i'd like,but boy it really brings guitars and voices out.
And finally highs which are ever so slightly rolled off,but having said that they are still crystal clear and completely fatigue free.
The overall sound signature is warmish sounding but the presentation is really lovely,and just what i was looking for.
These seem to not be mentioned that much as i guess most people just go for the 530,but these really do warrant attention.
They fit my needs and i'm very happy with them.
I still like the ultimate ears ones i have,but these beat them both in every way.
Superb!

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 40
Probably my second favorite IEM of all time. i did pair it up the Ety S-adapter. It improves more with it than the Ety does. Also used shortened E2C black soft flex on them which improved the height of the sound stage.

Almost unbeatable except in depth of the image and treble extension. I also prefer more speed than the Shures' have. With the mods it is an improved ER4S with a huge image, plenty of impact, the most detail, clarity and transparency you can get. Way more flat than the Ety, even to it's detriment as it accentuates the lack of depth. Also evenly extends on either end. Even ,even, even!

Only topped by the SF3 with Westone cable and S-adapter but the Shure does have more isolation and comfort and is better looking.

I also recommend them. I got mine on ebay for $200 shipped and later sold them on Amazon for about the same price($199). The only reason I sold them was that my JVC S900 was a big brother to it, bigger and better or a bit more of the same kind of sound. I did not need both and the JVC only costs $75 so the Shure was worth selling for the $$$.

Good luck with your 420, Beyerfan. It also seems to have none of the cable issues of the 530 as well as being smaller and easier to fit for some people.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably my second favorite IEM of all time. i did pair it up the Ety S-adapter. It improves more with it than the Ety does. Also used shortened E2C black soft flex on them which improved the height of the sound stage.

Almost unbeatable except in depth of the image and treble extension. I also prefer more speed than the Shures' have. With the mods it is an improved ER4S with a huge image, plenty of impact, the most detail, clarity and transparency you can get. Way more flat than the Ety, even to it's detriment as it accentuates the lack of depth. Also evenly extends on either end. Even ,even, even!

Only topped by the SF3 with Westone cable and S-adapter but the Shure does have more isolation and comfort and is better looking.

I also recommend them. I got mine on ebay for $200 shipped and later sold them on Amazon for about the same price($199). The only reason I sold them was that my JVC S900 was a big brother to it, bigger and better or a bit more of the same kind of sound. I did not need both and the JVC only costs $75 so the Shure was worth selling for the $$$.

Good luck with your 420, Beyerfan. It also seems to have none of the cable issues of the 530 as well as being smaller and easier to fit for some people.

Thanks for your kind words bud,i'm just loving them to bits.
Wish i'd gone with them earlier,could have saved loads of money but hey at least it gives me more insight into iem's.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 40
Yeah, the SE420s are highly unerrated around these parts.

From all the IEMs I have used and have experienced with, they're probably the most well balanced ones, and one of the flattest IEMs there is.

I find that from a pure performance standpoint, they're the best IEM in Shure's lineup once paired up with a P-to-S converter.

Its almost been a year now, an no regrets. The cable is durable as well, no signs of fraying if anything.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that from a pure performance standpoint, they're the best IEM in Shure's lineup once paired up with a P-to-S converter.

What's a P to S converter/adaptor?

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 40
They are a great headphone for a fair price.

I like mine with the yellow foamies.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 40
This one is a little less cumbersome since it's an adapter plug rather than a cable, and is a little cheaper.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 40
se420 = underratted due to lack of fun, most people call this flat and true, this is surely the aim of pro headphones?? so possibly some of the best earphones available.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 40
Just got me a pair of se420's today. Dont know if balanced armatures "need" breaking in, but they sound great right out of the box.

Its definitely not "fun" or maybe i just feel that way since i was using grado's extensively in the week before i got these. I have never heard 530's but i like these 420's very much. Prefer them over sf5's. They almost sound sextett-like, but with a smaller soundstage and less impact........almost
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back