Shure se310
Jul 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 9
I tried the SE310 for about a week, and back they went.
graphCompare.php

To my ears, the bass was nothing special and the highs were almost nonexistent. A cymbal crash sounded more like chalk moving across a chalkboard to me.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the SE310 for about a week, and back they went.
graphCompare.php

To my ears, the bass was nothing special and the highs were almost nonexistent. A cymbal crash sounded more like chalk moving across a chalkboard to me.

what do you recommend for iems? I am deciding between the super.fi 5 vs q-jays vs v-moda.. any help?

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you recommend for iems? I am deciding between the super.fi 5 vs q-jays vs v-moda.. any help?

I am using the Triple.fi 10 now, and it definitely satisfies me
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have experience with a lot of different IEMs though, so I'd definitely give the rest of the crowd a chance to chime in.

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I have tried the SE310 for a few days and they sounded nice. Very nice fit and very mellow sound which was nice and relaxing. However the Q-Jays kill the SE310 when it comes to sub bass and are also more detailed in the higher frequencies. I found the Q-Jays to actually sound a bit too forward so I would be a bit careful when listening to rock and not use any "rock" or "metal" eq presets.
smily_headphones1.gif

SE310 and Q-Jays cost the same where I live making it a no brainer if you want the more detailed sound that the Q-Jays can provide. A bit too bright for me though.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 9
I didn't want to start a new thread since my questions are similar, but apologies for re-hashing a 3.5 year old thread. This is my first post here. I read the posting guidelines to make sure, but I always prefer searching and using current threads instead of just posting new without looking.

I've had the Shure SE310 for about 2 years or so now, moving up from V-Moda Vibe Duo before that and the Apple stock earbuds before that. I use my iPhone 4S for most of my listening, typically listening to Alternative/Indie and Hip Hop (will be starting to walk 30min to and from work every day, which will be my main listening time). While they're better than any other headphone I've owned, I've been disappointed since I bought the SE310 with the lack of low end. I'm not looking for the over-powering punch of the V-Moda and I know I have a good seal with the foam tips (also tried the silicon tips), but as others have said, the bass response on the SE310 just doesn't seem that good to me. Even when listening to bands like Florence & The Machine or Foster the People, the bass drum hits or bass lines seam lacking, even when compared to the stock Apple earbuds or even my laptop speakers.

So, I guess I'm in the market for something new. I've heard the new SE215 have a much better bass response and they're a pretty good price at $99. Does anyone know how these compare across the frequency spectrum with the SE310? Is there something better I should be looking at in-and-around that price range? I don't mind spending more for a jump in quality, so any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks everyone!

- Matt

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 9
consider the klipsch x10? or the x10i that has the mic, either one has a very decent bass. the klipsch are not a very good deal at list price but on sale (near 100) was a good value.  find Jokers multi iem thread and check ClieOS too. Both are great summaries of current offerings. the se's are kind of outdated but still have a very good midrange, isolation and dynamics.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
consider the klipsch x10? or the x10i that has the mic, either one has a very decent bass. the klipsch are not a very good deal at list price but on sale (near 100) was a good value.  find Jokers multi iem thread and check ClieOS too. Both are great summaries of current offerings. the se's are kind of outdated but still have a very good midrange, isolation and dynamics.

I'll take a look at the X10! I was looking through Joker's multi iem thread a bit last night. Tons of info to go through, so I'll be looking over the next couple days. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 9
After reading a lot on here and asking some friends, I've narrowed it down to roughly 3-4 choices:

Klipsch S4 (lower end - $80 or $99, depending if I want iPhone controls)
Shure SE215 (mid range - $99 plus possible $49 for iPhone control cable)
Klipsch X10 ($149 from Amazon - no way I'm paying the $299 just to get iphone controls)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 ($162.99 from Amazon)

Based on those three and listening to a mix of Alternative/Indie and Hip Hop (and knowing that the Shure SE310 are a little lacking in bass for my tastes), which is the best bang for my buck?

Thanks everyone!

[Update]

Also, the Monster Turbine are only $92.72 from Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back