Shure SE310 or Atrio M5?
Aug 20, 2007 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading a lot of hype about the M5. A definite FOTM monitor. There are a couple things turning me off to it. First off, the fit doesn't look too comfortable. Secondly, the comments about it sounding like a Sennheiser. I really don't appreciate that sound. I listen to a lot of Metal and Rock. Some rap. I'm wondering if maybe the SE310 would more accommodate my listening habits.

The reason I'm asking is the cord on my UEs seems to have crapped out. The left phone will only make a sound if the cord is in just the right position. The cord, after shipping, will cost $30. So I figure why not put that money towards an upgrade and just sell the bodies for like $50? Then, someone with some patience can get some super.fi 5ebs for only ~$80 and I have an excuse to upgrade.
etysmile.gif

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I probably won't be using an amp.

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I have both, and I like the M5 much more. When I first got my SE310 phones, I was really impressed with their sound -- they're definitely the most balanced Shures I've tried. However, after a while listening to the M5 and letting them burn in, I don't think they're veiled at all. In fact, I recently went back to my Shures for a little while and just couldn't stand the lack of treble extension and detail. The shures have a sweeter midrange, but the FutureSonics are better across the spectrum, IMO.

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Since this is my first post, let me first of all say hello to everybody. I've been lurking here on and off, and I am very fascinated by the knowledge and passion of the Head-Fi community!

While I am definitely not an audiophile (yet!), I do seriously love my music. I have been in the market for an IEM for a while, and I had more or less decided to buy the Shure SE310, which is just about the upper range of my budget. I then came across the this thread where the Future Sonics Atrio M5 gets rave reviews. So right now I am trying to choose between the two, and ufortunately I do not have the opportunity to audition them for comparison. So any input from Head-Fiers would be most welcome.

It's probably easier to give advice if you know a little bit more about my background/setting, so I'll bore you a little bit here: For home use I've had a Grado SR60 for years and I've been happy with that. Some time back I bought an iAudio X5 for portable use, and initially I used the included earphones. I then got a Sony Ericsson phone that included some in-ear phones, and I've since been using these with my X5. I really liked the isolation it gave, particularly when travelling by plane or public transport. Based on this I decided that I wanted to invest in a pair of good IEMs!

I listen to mainly rock (pop), and favourites include stuff like The Who, Hendrix, Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Radiohead, The White Stripes, and Nick Cave.

I've of course read a lot about both the SE310 and the M5 on this forum, but due to inexperience I find it hard to understand exactly what some of the technical descriptions would mean to my listening experience. Right now I am under the impression that based purely on sound quality, the M5 might suit me better. However, it seems clear that the SE310 is better built, is smaller and perhaps also has a better fit (though the fit is probably highly individual). I don't really care about the price difference between the two.

So, based on the above - comments/advice anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back