Shure se215 too fatiguing
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Opus131

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure why this is. I bought them several years ago, and i've been using them less and less to the point i don't bother with them anymore.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 for home use which i can listen to indefinitely for hours on end (moderate volume of course, which is what use), but with the Shure, after a while i just get tired and my ears start hurting even, i get fullness and i simply have to stop using them. Might be something in the sound signature, i'm not sure.

I'd like to upgrade to something better, but i'm not sure what to pick, since i'd like to avoid a similar situation. Are there IEMs out there in the "budget range" (sub 200 dollars) that are enough of an improvement over the Shure, even in terms of sound stage, instrument separation etc (which i suspect might also have something to do with it, since the sound of the Shure is more compressed than the one on the HD 600)? Or do i have to spend more to get some noticeable difference?

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 19
Not sure why this is. I bought them several years ago, and i've been using them less and less to the point i don't bother with them anymore.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 for home use which i can listen to indefinitely for hours on end (moderate volume of course, which is what use), but with the Shure, after a while i just get tired and my ears start hurting even, i get fullness and i simply have to stop using them. Might be something in the sound signature, i'm not sure.

I'd like to upgrade to something better, but i'm not sure what to pick, since i'd like to avoid a similar situation. Are there IEMs out there in the "budget range" (sub 200 dollars) that are enough of an improvement over the Shure, even in terms of sound stage, instrument separation etc (which i suspect might also have something to do with it, since the sound of the Shure is more compressed than the one on the HD 600)? Or do i have to spend more to get some noticeable difference?

Hi i have tried a few budget CHIFI IEMs and I find the KZ ZS10 Pro to be very good for its price of about 35 - 40 usd.
It is V shaped tuning, contains 5 drivers and has good details and sound quality for its price. The instrument separation is not bad. U can read more in the dedicated KZ thread or reviews.

I have used the shure SE 215 before and it is way lower in sound quality than the ZS10 Pro.

But best to read some more threads and reviews for yourself to see what kind of sound signature u like.
Do u prefer a neutral analytical IEM for details and critical listening, or do you want something more fun to enjoy your music?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Those are pretty interesting, price is amazing, all though i DO have some cash to spare (upwards to 100 dollars, as i said). I need to make sure to get something that is a clear upgrade to the se215 because i don't want to get myself in the same situation.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Do u prefer a neutral analytical IEM for details and critical listening, or do you want something more fun to enjoy your music?

I... am not sure. I listen to classical and jazz, and that means instrument separation, detail and stage ought to be top priority, but this is for portable audio and whenever i go outside it's a mess. Sound isolation helps, but it cannot tune out the outside world completely, so i need something punchy enough to fight off intrusive noises without having to raise the volume too high.

As far as sound signature in general, i tend to prefer warmer, more "analog" or tube-like sounds, with incisive bass (good for jazz) and softer highs since tinny or shrill sounds hurt my ears. And yes, generally i prefer neutral sounds, as close to the original as it gets all though like i said maybe for portable audio different things are in order, not sure. I sure wasn't happy with the se215 though.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 19
try the moondrop kxxs they are smooth and dont fatigue

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 19
Forgot to mention, i live in Europe, so availability is also an issue. Just checked on the Moondrop, can only order them from China. Would prefer something i could buy on a regular retail, like Amazon for instance, in case i have to send them back for any reason.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 19
Forgot to mention, i live in Europe, so availability is also an issue. Just checked on the Moondrop, can only order them from China. Would prefer something i could buy on a regular retail, like Amazon for instance, in case i have to send them back for any reason.
you get moondrop kxxs in german amazon

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 19
try the moondrop kxxs they are smooth and dont fatigue

I am very interested in the Moondrop KPE and KXXS. How is the clarity and details in the KXXS? And it follows the harman curve?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 19
it has good clarity for a dd. details are avarage. stage is avarage. bass is impactfull and thight mids are not recreased treble is smooth

its a nice longer listen iem for non critical listening. it follows harman curve whit a litlle drift of in bass harman curve has 1-2db more of that

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 19
I am very interested in the Moondrop KPE and KXXS. How is the clarity and details in the KXXS? And it follows the harman curve?
i see you have the no.3 i would dont rec to get the kxxs it just a sidegrade to your no 3

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 19
I... am not sure. I listen to classical and jazz, and that means instrument separation, detail and stage ought to be top priority, but this is for portable audio and whenever i go outside it's a mess. Sound isolation helps, but it cannot tune out the outside world completely, so i need something punchy enough to fight off intrusive noises without having to raise the volume too high.

As far as sound signature in general, i tend to prefer warmer, more "analog" or tube-like sounds, with incisive bass (good for jazz) and softer highs since tinny or shrill sounds hurt my ears. And yes, generally i prefer neutral sounds, as close to the original as it gets all though like i said maybe for portable audio different things are in order, not sure. I sure wasn't happy with the se215 though.

Well I don't own the KXXS but have read many stellar reviews about it.
I do own the TFZ No. 3, which supposedly has more bass than the KXXS and is ~ 100 USD. It is tuned very warm and non fatiguing, with the treble slightly toned down. The bass is the best in the IEMs I own and is superb for jazz, which I listen to regularly. I can listen to the TFZ No. 3 for hours, but like the KXXS, it is not really for critical listening as the details are above average and the soundstage is average. Isolation and comfort is good for TFZ No. 3. It is more for a chill relaxed listening session, so I doubt it will be good for classical. Maybe good for jazz only.

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 19
Well I don't own the KXXS but have read many stellar reviews about it.
I do own the TFZ No. 3, which supposedly has more bass than the KXXS and is ~ 100 USD. It is tuned very warm and non fatiguing, with the treble slightly toned down. The bass is the best in the IEMs I own and is superb for jazz, which I listen to regularly. I can listen to the TFZ No. 3 for hours, but like the KXXS, it is not really for critical listening as the details are above average and the soundstage is average. Isolation and comfort is good for TFZ No. 3. It is more for a chill relaxed listening session, so I doubt it will be good for classical. Maybe good for jazz only.
can you compare your no3 to t800. i will get my t800 in the next days :D

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 19
can you compare your no3 to t800. i will get my t800 in the next days :D

Yep I saw u ordered the T800. Super good IEM. Let me know your impressions when u get it.
The T800 slightly loses out to the TFZ no. 3 in the bass department (in quality and quantity of bass) but everywhere else it is king - details, instrument separation, soundstage, build, isolation, resolution.
The T800 is more bright and detailed but can be fatiguing for longer sessions for those that are treble sensitive. It costs 3x more so I would expect it to beat the TFZ No. 3 haha.

@Opus131 : for critical listening there are some good reviews about the CCA C16, which is about 100 USD too. But I heard the bass on this is lacking. @Cevisi and I bought this IEM called the Audiosense T800 which is very very detailed and great for classical, but it is 3x above your budget though.

I can safely say the KZ ZS10 Pro is better than the Shure SE215 as I have heard both and it is cheap and good. It is quite allrounded for most genres (but as for whether it solely excels in jazz/classical as per your requirements, there are other IEMs that excel better solely in these genres but may not suit other genres). The ZS10 Pro is bright though, rather than warm. I didn't find the treble harsh or fatiguing. Some feedback on this is that at the treble registers, some instruments may sound not tonally correct, and the bass can be a bit muddy/unclear, but for the cost I can't complain about it much.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 19
I'm getting the sense i can't get comfort and fun with good detail, instrument separation and sound stage at this price point. Heh.

Yeah at that price point it is pretty difficult to get the best of everything. I read good reviews about the CCA C16, which may suit your requirements for classical music for a detailed analytical signature. You can read more in the reviews section. And I hope you find a good IEM in your audio journey!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back