Shure SE215 noise: cable or monitors?
Oct 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neutral

New Head-Fier
I've bought a pair of SE215 headphones a few years ago (around 2012) and I've been happy about their build and sound quality. Their cable seems tough, as well as their monitors, even though the cable started to become green (I have the clear model) after some time (especially since after one time I used them in the gym) but from what I gathered from the internet it seems to be an issue with this model that doesn't affect sound quality (I actually don't know if this may be related to the problem below).

However, from a few months until now, they have been making some rattling noises every time I move the cable. I've since cleaned the headphones and started from the jack since I first thought that was where the problem was. Later I cleaned the connectors with alcohol, q-tips and a tooth pick to remove some dirt[0] and found out that it was actually that that was causing the rattling sound and for a little while (maybe a day) I could ear music without a problem. But eventually the next day or so my left monitor restarted to make those noises and even after I cleaned it up again doesn't seem to have made a difference.

My question here is: do you believe the problem is in the monitor themselves or the cable?

Because the original cable is a bit expensive and I would like to be sure before I order a new one. Or do you believe the problem actually relies on the monitor? Do you have experienced any problems like these with your SE215? What's your opinion?

One small note: the monitors and the cable seem to be a little loose (not that they don't fit correctly; they do and attach very well to one another but I'm able to tilt them a bit and I'm not sure if they're like that from the beginning or not).

I also believe to have taken good care of the headphones. I can't remember of a time were the cable was pulled or the monitors took any type of strong fall.

Thank you for your help.

[0]: seemed to me to be some kind of rubber

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 6
If you hold the jack plug in and then wiggle the cable does it make the sound? To me it sounds like there is a grounding issue in the jack plug or perhaps two wires are starting to come into contact with one another.

When you talk about the monitor and cable being loose do you mean the connector where it plugs into the monitors is loose as if the connector is not seated correctly?

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 6
  If you hold the jack plug in and then wiggle the cable does it make the sound? To me it sounds like there is a grounding issue in the jack plug or perhaps two wires are starting to come into contact with one another.

Not really. I can wiggle the cable close to the jack without making noise. I notice the problem when touching (and moving) the connectors (close to the monitors -- just tested). At times, in certain positions it will even mute the monitor until I move it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you talk about the monitor and cable being loose do you mean the connector where it plugs into the monitors is loose as if the connector is not seated correctly?

That's correct.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Check that the center pin ( tiny little bugger inside the connector on the IEM ) is not bent. Sometimes it gets bent during insertion or from cleaning. Try to gently move it back to center and see if that helps.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 6
  Check that the center pin ( tiny little bugger inside the connector on the IEM ) is not bent. Sometimes it gets bent during insertion or from cleaning. Try to gently move it back to center and see if that helps.

I believe this was the case. On one of the monitors it worked to move it just a little but on the other (I believe it was already broken) after trying to move it half of it just fell apart (I tried to do as others have done in other threads) even after applying just a bit of pressure.

I'm not sure of what to do now. Both the monitors still work (the left I have no problems with but the right still makes the noise described and cuts the sound a bit). I tried to see how much would a replacement cost but is a bit costly (about 70€ or so?) so I would guess I'll have to buy another pair or try to fix this is some way (don't know if it's possible).

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. You've guided me in the right path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back