Shure SE210 vs Etymotic ER6i vs ??
Oct 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

natogandalf

New Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to buy some new in-ear headphones for my Sony NWZ-A826 and I'm trying to decide between these two or perhaps something I haven't thought about.

Can anyone say anything about them? I like the ER6i but the thin cord makes me a bit set back. I'm going to use them on my way to and from work every day so I'm probably going to rip the cord pretty fast. Also, I know Shure has a good reputation and the reviews have been pretty good.

The thing is, the Shure phones costs 50% more than the ER6 where I live and I've read that they actually have a more accurate sound.

Can anyone give me some clarification? I've also been looking at Altec Lansing IM716 but I can't get them from anywhere but Ebay and I'd rather listen to the phones before I buy them. I only listen to mp3, most often 320kbit/s or 256kbit/s VBR if that could affect my choice.

If you have any other suggestions, try to keep them in the same general price class as the ones I've mentioned (900-1500 SEK or $150-200)

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 12
$150-200? Wow, your prices are inflated wherever you are - ER 6i is $70 here, $150-200 is where you compare SA6 and ER 4p

Anyways, the cable on the ety's is actually quite durable, I've abused it a bit - it is just very thin, not flimsy or anything.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 12
I own a pair of shures Se210.. They are pretty good and plus if you order them online im will bet they will be able to give you se210s for 110$. Shures warranty is also very great. The thick cabling on the SE210 is a prety bad drawback. If your price range is about 100-150$, i would either recommend the SE210s or the Westone Um1s. I for one like the comfort after trying out the UM1s. It felt like i wasnt even wearing earphones!

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$150-200? Wow, your prices are inflated wherever you are - ER 6i is $70 here, $150-200 is where you compare SA6 and ER 4p

Anyways, the cable on the ety's is actually quite durable, I've abused it a bit - it is just very thin, not flimsy or anything.

Hehe, yeah I realise that the dollar prices for headphones in Sweden won't match the prices elsewhere. The dollar is low compared to the swedish crown right now so $100 is probably a bit much.

How thick is the cables on the Shures? I can't see that thick cables could be such a drawback. How are they bothering you?

Also, I've heard that the etys are more neutral and more detailed than the shures, is this true? I'm mostly thinking about the "more detailed"-part. Since I'm no audiophile I can live without neutral sound. I actually think I'd enjoy the sound of the Shures more since I like a bit of bass and listen to music where the bass lines are very important. (Younger Brother, Ott, Shpongle and the likes)

What sets me back is the 50% price increase for the Shures. If the etys are better in most aspects, it seems like a waste of money to buy Shures. The problem is that if I look at the Shures, I can listen to them before I buy them and talk to a person at the Hifi-store. There is no such store with etys in stock that I've found in Stockholm and as such I have to buy them over the internet without listenting prior to purchase.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by natogandalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, yeah I realise that the dollar prices for headphones in Sweden won't match the prices elsewhere. The dollar is low compared to the swedish crown right now so $100 is probably a bit much.

How thick is the cables on the Shures? I can't see that thick cables could be such a drawback. How are they bothering you?

Also, I've heard that the etys are more neutral and more detailed than the shures, is this true? I'm mostly thinking about the "more detailed"-part. Since I'm no audiophile I can live without neutral sound. I actually think I'd enjoy the sound of the Shures more since I like a bit of bass and listen to music where the bass lines are very important. (Younger Brother, Ott, Shpongle and the likes)

What sets me back is the 50% price increase for the Shures. If the etys are better in most aspects, it seems like a waste of money to buy Shures. The problem is that if I look at the Shures, I can listen to them before I buy them and talk to a person at the Hifi-store. There is no such store with etys in stock that I've found in Stockholm and as such I have to buy them over the internet without listenting prior to purchase.

The cables are indeed thick... Not gonna lie that is the only drawback on the Se210k. The cable doesnt bend as easily, and so the place where it bends to form around the top of the ear comes apart. ( had to send mine in ot sure to get frayed wire fixed in that area recently)
The reason thick cables are worse is during exercise or times of movement, you will hear the cable bouncing, and the of the cable will be carried through the thicker cable and go up to your ear. ( like a stethoscope being used at a doctor's office). The UM1s my friend had that i tried on didnt have that problem. since the line was a lot thinner it didn't bounce as much. People may say that the thinner line will break easier, but i dont think that is the case. The westone cable is pretty strong.

If you are going for comfiness the UM1s (comply tips are sooo soft it feels like it isnt in ur ears) are it. However I like the bass response that the Shures give you if you use the black tips. So it really depends on what you want.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 12
ER-6i, I say! absolutely the best, super comfortable, best isolation i have ever heard, great clarity and detail. I have used many IEMs and the ER-6i still have a special place in my heart. After using my SA-6 for a few months, i put on my old er-6i, and was amazed at how good it sounded. IMO they are worth twice as much as they are going for.

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Ok, I think I'll go for the etymotics. I won't pay 50% more to get the shures if you give the etys such a praise. I think I'll be happy either way
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks alot for your response!

By the way, the problem with noise travelling up to the ears when something brushes up on the cable can often be solved by running the cables underneath your shirt. It fixes the cable to your chest.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Because of the nature of these headphones no one will be likely to own both of them, so getting a good answer might not be that easy.
However based on looooads (I'm thinking of getting the Ety for my gf) of peoples different opinions I'd recommened the Ety although I feel bad for saying that as I think shure are a great company; I've got the SE530s
tongue.gif
(needed to get that in there somhow)

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 12
I got the Etys and I'm very happy with them. I never thought that I'd hear new details in music while sitting on the bus and listening to 192kbit/s mp3, but I did. When I got home and jacked them into an external sound card and playing some flac I shat bricks
wink.gif

They fit excellent into my ears with the default christmastree looking plugs and the sound dampening is amazing. I can listen to the same volume wheter I'm walking on the street, on a train station or riding a bus.

The only downside I can think of is the very quiet bass, allthough it sounds great as soon as you turn it up a bit. I know this could be a bit hard for say iPod users since there is no manual EQ-setting, but with my Sony I could turn up just the bass a notch and now I'm getting the sound I love
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll be sure to pass it on to anyone seeking headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back