Shure se115, best isolation for price?
Jan 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stratobeats

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for the best canalphones, sub $150 Cdn, which offer the most isolation/least sound leak without too much loss in sound quality. I've read online that Shures offer the best passive sound isolation (something like 88% sound reduction). Can anyone with experience verify or disprove this? Thanks a lot for your help!

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 9
i dont think there will be much if any leakage as long as you have a good seal. isolation for iem's are typically good with some being better than others but more than adequate. i would look at models that suit the kind of music you listen to and go from there.

i would say the best isolation at that range would probably be some etymotic model but their sound signature may or may not be what you are looking for.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read online that Shures offer the best passive sound isolation (something like 88% sound reduction). Can anyone with experience verify or disprove this? Thanks a lot for your help!

I would be very wary of any reading materials that rated sound reduction in percent.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 9
The SE115 has great isolation. If you need isolation you will notice the difference. I have used my PL50s and SE115s in the same environment and i found the SE115s isolated far better.

That said the PL50s sounded far better. The SE115s only really sounded good with the silicone tips on them and even them they couldnt touch the PL50s in terms of quality.

If i were you i would pick up some Etymotic ER6is or make the stretch to HF5s because the isolation on those is even better and the sound quality will be better than the SE115

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess the se115's aren't the most popular earphones here. I just thought Shure, being a prestigious audio brand, would make only the best quality products (Yes, I am too naive)
smile.gif
. I've changed my mind about the Shures and I'm now leaning towards getting the Klipsch s4's or Etymotic er6i's. Some more research and I will decide........

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be very wary of any reading materials that rated sound reduction in percent.

I thought the source would be reliable coming from a reference in head-fi's own newbie thread
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Okay, today I went to the local store with my mind set on the klipsch s4's. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock. Luckily (or unluckily?) for me, they did have the se115 on sale (orig. $124 - on sale for $89!). The guy said the se115 was an excellent choice considering the sale and all. I wasn't really persuaded by him but decided to try them out anyway (less stress on my wallet)

Now, I know that lots of people here don't like them, so my question is, what's wrong with the se115? imo, (after using the cx300 and Sony ex300) these have superior bass and clearer mids, overall a better sound. Plus, the sound isolation with the black foam tips make them dangerous to be walking around with on busy streets. Am I just assuming they are good based on my limited experience and is it that other iems sound much better than this?

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I just assuming they are good based on my limited experience and is it that other iems sound much better than this?

Yes, that's it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Back when I upgraded from EX71 to E3c I thought it couldn't get much better than that, especially without paying like $1000. Then I upgraded to SF5 Pro and thought that was about it, anything else would be minor upgrades for a lot of cash. Then I upgraded to TF10 Pro and same story. Then I got my TF10 Pro reshelled. Wow. I know there are still huge gains to be made in higher end IEMs and I look forward to one day owning whatever top custom IEM there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back