Shure SE110's- Pretty decent!
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
These are only my very early impressions, but these are actually a pretty solid headphone! I have sat here and listened to most of Frank Zappa's Hot Rats, where the compositions are relatively complex and progressive and have a fair few instruements and sources of noise at work, and these phones convey and produce everything, pretty much, at a good volume and impressive level of clarity and instruement separation. The sound is just smaller, thinner, reedier and less impactful as what I have been used to getting from my triple fi's all week. Weaker. But, as far as I can tell, at this stage,- I will, obviously have to A B-, these produce everything the triples do, just smaller and less dynamically. But its all there and pretty clear. Cymbals are a little pinched and don't quite ring right but, again, it all seems present. I'm quite shocked these are so good, being the entry level IEM of the Shure line and all! They allow me to enjoy the music and I could happily use them. Maybe more time with them and/or my other, higher-end IEMs, will reveal their flaws and/or shortcomings but at the moment I'm kinda feelin bemused that these are so close to the quality of sound I've been getting from my triples all week!

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 11
its shocking that they sound that good to you too... usually if you go from high end phones to lower end ones then you tend to see straight away they are inferior.

i know when i go from my se530 to say my girlfriends cx500 i tend to always go urghhh get em out... :)

but then again the se110 arent going to be terrible are they? they are from a reputable company and even tho they are the cheapest in the range they should still sound pretty good because they are'nt that cheap. dont be too suprised, they wont be quite up to the triple fi standard but they wont be trash either i suspect.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 11
I've been listening to them for that bit longer now and I can see their limitations a lot more clearly. I havn't really critically analysed it but the whole brilliance and fullness of the listening experience is somewhat less and neutered when compared to that I get from the triple fi's. I can be guilty of not listening properly when I first get audio equipment and it's something I'm having to train myself out of. I dunno if anyone else experiences this but its where you kinda listen inside yourself and not outside and around yourself. Like in the head and not around and about yourself, outside yourself, the latter obviously providing the richer, fuller, truer and fairer experience. It must be a residue of an old insecurity and/or facet of self-consciousness, I dunno, but I sometimes find myself doing it. Strange. But yeah, in their full glory these are somewhat dimmer and thinner than the tf10. Still, pretty decent SQ and I am impressed but there is a significant difference between that that these provide and the triples.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 11
My 210's were stolen from the lab I was working in last summer, and being a broke student I ended up going for the 110's as a replacement. They're not quite as full sounding as the 210's where, but after a bit of break in / remembering how to wear them properly, the 110's have really grown on me.

Edit: Bloodsugars's post just appeared on my computer, thought I'd address it to. My initial impression of the 110's was that they're rather flat and have little impact. While I don't have much of anything higher up to compare to, I feel like after having them for a bit they've begun to sound a lot more dynamic than they did for the first week. I'd say mine have about 200 hours or so of listening on them (about 4 or 5 hours a day for a month now, plus letting them slightly break in for two days non stop).

I am still new to this whole hi-fi thing, but for what it's worth I think these really shine after a bit of breaking in.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Im glad that some people here do like these, because for a little while there I thought I was the only person who liked these. At first (coming from the JBL Reference 220) I really did not like them (super flat). But now I love them, and even enjoy hard rock songs that need alot of bass to shine. Once you get used to them, the bass seems to come out. I have to say, a Fiio makes a HUGE difference in the bass department.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im glad that some people here do like these, because for a little while there I thought I was the only person who liked these.

No, you're not alone. I quite like my SE110 and Sansa Clip combo that I use when out and about...especially considering what I paid for them.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 11
It's good to see these phones gettin some love and respect! There is definately a differeance between TF10 and SE110 but they still produce great sound!

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price on play.com, they are worth it.

Without a doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back