Shure SE110/SE210 or Sennheiser CX500
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

Im looking to get some decent earphones for my ipod touch. around £40 to £60

Im looking for some balanced and full sounding phones with deep bass.

i listen to alot of metal/rock but also pop and hiphop. from reviews the Shure Se110's and Sennheiser Cx500's both sound pretty good, although some reviews have said the shures lack some bass impact.

what would you recommend between these.. and are there any other phones i should look at in this price range?

And also.. are the SE210's worth the extra £20 over the 110's.

any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 22
I love the CX500s, they have a very addictive sound quality that, once you get accustomed to them, you'll really appreciate their sound. At first they can seem to be too bass heavy but after acclimating to them you'll see the bass as powerful, tight and accurate. The rest of the audio spectrum they produce reminds me of the Ultimate Ears SF3.

They do need a break-in period and mine sound better amped. I also use Comply foams.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 22
thanks for the input.

how would everyone compare them cx500's to the shure se110s in terms of sound quality?

i really like shure microphones. so i am already biased in thinking toward them i guess.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the input.

how would everyone compare them cx500's to the shure se110s in terms of sound quality?

i really like shure microphones. so i am already biased in thinking toward them i guess.

As far as I can say, my only experience with a set of SE210s wasn't positive. Maybe I didn't have them sealed well enough but they just didn't have the bass. The rest of the audio spectrum sounded acceptable. But you won't find many Head Fi'ers recommend the SE210s and below.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 22
Honestly I have both the SE110 and the SE210 and there really isn't that much of a difference between the two excapt that the SE210's are much smaller.. I am very satisfied with the SE110's with the Triple Flange sleves and the proper EQ on my Zen.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 22
I have the cx500's and am beginning to really love them. I'm still burning them in so hopefully the love will increase. Was listening to Steely Dan's Asia on my walk with the dog tonight and the sound was so full and rich that I got so immersed in it that I almost forgot the dog was with me. I haven't had much experience with Shures other than the e2c's I had and I absolutely hated them. The bass in those was so muddy my ears felt dirty.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 22
i have cx500 and i am a bit disappointed -
for exemple senn px100 are much much better
in the price range i don`t know what choice you have .
but cx500 is like cx300 witch a little bit of hight

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 22
I've got the cx500's, px100's, and UE SF 3's. Well, the px100's are the best sounding because they are open. I chose the cx500's in hopoe of finding the same warm sound as with the px100s. I think they are as close as possible with in ears. I rarely use anything else but the cx500s because they sound really good and are extremely comfortable. I much prefer them to my sf3's in regard of both comfort AND sound quality. They do lack a little in the highs but they outperforms the sf3s in th emids and bass easily. I'd say that they would make you very happy if you like the warm Sennheiser sound.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 22
Hello Neil27,

I like music, but don't know how I will rank in the audiophile category, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I am trying SE110, SE210 and CX300. It depends on what you listen your music for.

Now SE210 - you can do the Kramer mod on them, which will give the highs back (I did it and recommend it) . They are pretty decent.

Comparing SE210 to SE110 - well, on one song from the last album of "Shpongle", with SE110 you hear like 1 bird in the beginning of the song, while with SE210 it is like 10 quite different birds singing. With CX300 i don't know if you hear birds (they are not there in the birds midrange).

SE210 doesn't give the emotion though, very analytic, you cannot get into the music.

SE110 allows you to discover some things actually inside the music, not as a texture of sounds. The music mixes very nicely - they are round and have chambers, while SE210 are square, narrow, and pass the music directly into your ear.

CX300 is the most emotional, and I feel actually better emotion than Grado SR-125 on some songs (well, not really ephemeral as sometimes Grados gets in the tonal mix and rhythm).

For the kind of emotion reference I use see:

YouTube - MAHADEVA
YouTube - Naomi Klein: Shockingly Ignorant Part 2

So:

SE210 - analytical, hear everything
SE110 - musical, but not too much musical, just right
CX300 - will make you tap your foot in a more simplistic but I must admit beautiful manner (I have never felt before); the emotion is great.

However, I have not tried these on vocals (don't have vocal singer I like currently). And my setup is not good (basic sound card).

I gave you only the good points sufficient for me to still consider keeping any of the pairs. You may find some things (such as the bass of the CX300) to be put-off for you so do more research.

See also:

http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...are+Headphones

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xela13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Neil27,

I like music, but don't know how I will rank in the audiophile category, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I am trying SE110, SE210 and CX300. It depends on what you listen your music for.

Now SE210 - you can do the Kramer mod on them, which will give the highs back (I did it and recommend it) . They are pretty decent.

Comparing SE210 to SE110 - well, on one song from the last album of "Shpongle", with SE110 you hear like 1 bird in the beginning of the song, while with SE210 it is like 10 quite different birds singing. With CX300 i don't know if you hear birds (they are not there in the birds midrange).

SE210 doesn't give the emotion though, very analytic, you cannot get into the music.

SE110 allows you to discover some things actually inside the music, not as a texture of sounds. The music mixes very nicely - they are round and have chambers, while SE210 are square, narrow, and pass the music directly into your ear.

CX300 is the most emotional, and I feel actually better emotion than Grado SR-125 on some songs (well, not really ephemeral as sometimes Grados gets in the tonal mix and rhythm).

YouTube - MAHADEVA

So:

CX300 - will make you tap your foot in a more simplistic but I must admit beautiful manner (I have never felt before); the emotion is great.

However, I have not tried these on vocals (don't have vocal singer I like currently). And my setup is not good (basic sound card).

I gave you only the good points sufficient for me to still consider keeping any of the pairs. You may find some things (such as the bass of the CX300) to be put-off for you so do more research.

Quite outstanding comments, very audiophile oriented.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Hello Neil27,

YouTube - MAHADEVA

So:

See also:

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Thanks for those discriptions.. i went for the CX 95's and just ordered them online.

but i know what you mean about the Cx300's i used them until they stopped working after a year... but they had some great SQ while they lasted for the price.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Hi, what's a Kramer mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back