Shure SE-315 may cause cancer? DIdn't expect that..
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
rofl.. For those who thought that I was actually confirmed, I'd like to say I'm not. I know that the laws in the US are different (to those here) and quite a few times service providers/manufacturers have to state such things.. it's just new for me. I never expected a earphone to have these warnings so I thought I should share it with you guys for a discussion/laugh :)

At no point was I actually concerned. I did find it a bit funny :)

Those of us not from California on the boards are laughing with you....every single day
wink_face.gif

Those on the boards that are from California are grabbing pitchforks (handle made of organically grown sustainable redwood) and torches (fueled by environmentally friendly renewable low carbon emitting lamp oil.)  (Sorry, Californians, I couldn't resist!)

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #17 of 28
If they haven't outright banned KFC from operation in CA, no doubt, there's no less than 6 different bills that will try, and a dozen that have only narrowly escaped passing in the past...

...I mock CA lovingly....on the opposite coast we're starting to show more severe symptoms on the madness as well (the "sugary softdrink tax" comes to mind....which I have to laugh at considering the disconnect between the politicians and the planet Earth.  What was the last softdrink you had that actually contained any sugar whatsoever?  No, they all have corn syrup instead...  So I'm wondering what softdrinks would be taxed?  Presumably upscale sodas from small bottling companies, definitely not the majors.)

To follow the headphone warnings, I'm wondering how music is ever made in CA.  You shouldn't use headphones, they're toxic.  You shouldn't run speaker cables, they're toxic.  You shouldn't buy CDs, they're toxic.  You shouldn't buy digital downloads, the servers that provide them are made of toxic things.  You can go to a live concert, but the concert shouldn't be amplified because the cabling, amps, and mixing boards are toxic.  The musicians can play acoustic instruments....but the strings were probably treated with toxc substances that may or may not contain lead or mercury.  The venue shouldn't be illuminated because the light bulbs are toxic.  :)  "Welcome to California: State animal?  The Unicorn.  It's real, we swear!" :)

It's one of those things that, the idea made sense, a product that contains potentially DANGEROUS levels of toxic substances should be labeled as such.  Products that achieve dangerous levels of toxic substances on their own probably shouldn't be sold to begin with.  But as-is an open ended labeling requirement makes the actual point of it meaningless.  There are almost zero manufactured products that contain zero percent of anything at all toxic, which means virtually every manufactured product has to be labeled as toxic.  And nobody actually reads or cares about the warning because it's the same warning they've seen on everything else they bought, so if they buy something that actually is packed with depleted uranium, they'll still be as oblivious to it as if it had no label at all.

depleted uranium is only used in armor piercing rounds and aircraft trim Weights although they are phasing it out for trim weights in case of an accident

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #18 of 28
If they haven't outright banned KFC from operation in CA, no doubt, there's no less than 6 different bills that will try, and a dozen that have only narrowly escaped passing in the past...

...I mock CA lovingly....on the opposite coast we're starting to show more severe symptoms on the madness as well (the "sugary softdrink tax" comes to mind....which I have to laugh at considering the disconnect between the politicians and the planet Earth.  What was the last softdrink you had that actually contained any sugar whatsoever?  No, they all have corn syrup instead...  So I'm wondering what softdrinks would be taxed?  Presumably upscale sodas from small bottling companies, definitely not the majors.)

To follow the headphone warnings, I'm wondering how music is ever made in CA.  You shouldn't use headphones, they're toxic.  You shouldn't run speaker cables, they're toxic.  You shouldn't buy CDs, they're toxic.  You shouldn't buy digital downloads, the servers that provide them are made of toxic things.  You can go to a live concert, but the concert shouldn't be amplified because the cabling, amps, and mixing boards are toxic.  The musicians can play acoustic instruments....but the strings were probably treated with toxc substances that may or may not contain lead or mercury.  The venue shouldn't be illuminated because the light bulbs are toxic.  :)  "Welcome to California: State animal?  The Unicorn.  It's real, we swear!" :)

It's one of those things that, the idea made sense, a product that contains potentially DANGEROUS levels of toxic substances should be labeled as such.  Products that achieve dangerous levels of toxic substances on their own probably shouldn't be sold to begin with.  But as-is an open ended labeling requirement makes the actual point of it meaningless.  There are almost zero manufactured products that contain zero percent of anything at all toxic, which means virtually every manufactured product has to be labeled as toxic.  And nobody actually reads or cares about the warning because it's the same warning they've seen on everything else they bought, so if they buy something that actually is packed with depleted uranium, they'll still be as oblivious to it as if it had no label at all.

Everyone who lives here basically ignores these warnings.

I know it's easy to laugh at California's hyper-vigilant culture. But it does little harm (imo) to let people know, to make silly choices if they want to.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 28
Having moved to California last year, I can testify that you will see that warning on literally almost everything. Hell, I think people have been sneaking in when I'm out and placing them on stuff I already own.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
It's fairly standard in California to add that warning. It will be on the door of a building if there's anything, anything that has been shown to cause cancer in any test. It's on the pumps at the gas station, for heaven's sake. I wouldn't worry.

yeah, it says that at the san fran airport too.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #23 of 28
You Californian are lucky!   ...over here, we don't have warnings ...we have BANS on things like chewing gums !
tongue_smile.gif

...yea, they're bad for your shoes, clothes and hair or something.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #26 of 28
Jun 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #28 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back