shure scl4 vs se420
Nov 29, 2008 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thebreathofone

New Head-Fier
I have a new unopened pair of scl4s back from a refurb replacement and I was wondering whether you all think I should try to sell them in hopes of buying something better or be happy with what I have.

I am using the headphones for mixing and live performance. Thanks for your help.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Well for starters, the SCL4 is a single armature IEM, the SE420 has two armatures, so the sound "is supposed to be" better. You'll be the judge of that.
Next to that, I think the SE series are overall better than the E/SCL series in terms of SQ, looks and posibilities (modular cable system).

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 6
I own both the scl4's and the se 420's, my scl4's have a short in the cord near the plug, causing one ear to go out, so I bought the se420's this past summer. The se420's have a more fuller sound, but the scl4's are more...accurate. they have a better sound stage than the se420's. Yet while the bass is more accurate in the 420's, it's overpowered by the mids, making it less present, while with the scl4's I can make outthe bass better and "feel" it more so. Don't know iif what i wrote makes any sense, but to put it like this I'm going to bh tomorow and getting a new pair of scl4's from bh even though my 420s have nothing wrong with them (the first pair of shures I've had to go the stretch of six months) As to why I don't just send the scl4's i own back to sure for replacement, this is my third replacement pair, figure i got my money's worth out of three pairs and their on sale for 150 at bh so it won't hurt me much.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Honestly akasan - if I were you I would replace them again and sell
smily_headphones1.gif
. Will be shortly selling my 3rd pair (2nd replacement). An extra ~$140 doesn't really hurt (and was kind of used in a sort ofupgrade by me)

As for being on topic - unless I'm wrong SE420 ~= E5s, while the SCL4 = E4s, so the SEs are definitely considered higher end. However I have heard that between the SE310/SCL4/E4 to the SE420 etc there isn't really much of a jump, with the SE530s the pinnacle of the Shure line

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 6
the E2-E4 were renamed SCL2-4, SCL (i think) means Shure classic line,

the E1 was retired AGES ago, and the E5 is still sold, in some places like the E5 and in others like the SCL5, the thing is that its more expencive then the SE530, a price thats can not be justified with its quality,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back