Shure SCL4 repair ideas?
Nov 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JonJeffman

New Head-Fier
Wondering if anyone's tried to repair some Shure (or I guess any IEM's) before and could offer some advice.

My SCL4's quit working - the warranty's expired and I'm not getting any help from Shure.  The right bud is very quiet compared to the left, and if you turn up the volume, at a certain point it starts to make a horrible distorted, clipping sound.  It does this even with the nozzles removed and I've cleaned them well, so it's not just wax build up.

I tried flexing the cable along it's entire length to see if it cuts out completely, and maybe it's just a broken wire, but can't seem to make that happen.  So I'm not really sure what to do, and don't have high hopes of repairing them, but might as well try before tossing them.

My ideas are:
- sell them for next to nothing and see if someone else wants to try to repair them (not my 1st choice)
- watch for someone else to sell a broken pair where I can swipe the right bud and splice it on to the cable (seems pretty unlikely to happen)
- try some repairs.

As for the repairs, here's my initial plan of attack:
- try splicing on a new cable/plug right around the Y, to see if the cable broke at the plug (seems to not be uncommon)
- try replacing the whole cable (seen some posts of someone doing it on the E2's)
- if it's not the cable, and I have to cut open the housing to recable anyway, then I'll see if the 2 sides look identical, or if the right has something broken in it, or maybe debris in there, but really, I'm guessing there's not much to do inside of them.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back